How to fit N+1 bikes in a shed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I have three bikes, road, flat bar and fixie - and two guest bikes (keeping whilst someone goes through a gruesome divorce: two beasts, a 61cm road and a 27.5er).

I also have a tiny shed.

I am throwing towels over the bikes, and have stuck chainstay protectors on a fork here and there, and tried to concertina them. Sometimes the point of contact will be a handlebar touching a lamp. Sometimes spokes touching the rear of another bike... but it just infuriates me. I can't wait to get rid of the bully guest bikes...

Should they go in all facing forward, or head to toe?

If two bikes are not going to get used - is there something I can do. There isn't much room for a pulley, and I have the fixie on a hook - but it is precariously attached to a shelving unit... so I can't really pull that trick again.

I would bundle them up more, but I am chaining them together with anything I can find - so I need some means of passing things through the frames.

I am wondering if I could sneak a smaller shed behind the shed and not have the OH notice.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I am wondering if I could sneak a smaller shed behind the shed and not have the OH notice.
Wait until she is out for the day then just put up another shed.
Thats how i got my last bike but they are very canny i hid it in the garage but she noticed the box it came in.:sweat:
I get away with things now by saying i told you i was going to get that you must have not been listening. :popcorn:

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Two votes for another shed. I didn't expect that would be the obvious solution, but I should have expected it :smile:

So with an Asgard, do you not still have to close pack the bikes? Are there any techniques to pack them without damaging them?

vickster

Legendary Member
Two votes for another shed. I didn't expect that would be the obvious solution, but I should have expected it :smile:

So with an Asgard, do you not still have to close pack the bikes? Are there any techniques to pack them without damaging them?
I get 4 road bikes in mine without too much trouble (I went for the 4x29er option)

KneesUp

Guru
Turn the handlebars, or if that doesn't make much difference, remove them and zip lock them to the cross bar. Also remove the pedals - they stop you getting the bikes close and scratch other bikes.

You don't need a pulley to hang a bike - I used to hang my bike in the garage using three old inner tubes - one per brake lever and one for the saddle. I looped them over the joists in the garage - I'm sure you could cobble something together in the shed.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My calculations are as follows: :crazy:

1. You have N bikes, but of course you want N+1 bikes.
2. You can fit P bikes per shed in your M current sheds.

From this we can conclude that:
A. The maths is distracting you from your real purpose in life, which is to go for a long bike ride.
B. No wait, forget B . . . . . :bicycle:

U

User33236

What all this about keeping bikes in a shed?! Surely they deserve pride of place inside the home? :laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
Storing bikes in a shed you may as well put up a huge sign on your front door or in your back garden inviting anyone and everyone to come and nick your bikes.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I see. So don't lock up the guest bikes?

I don't have a garage, or room in the house. I have some security measures in place, and o appreciate it is less than ideal.

I understand your problem, it is all the sticky out bits which seem to get tangled up. So if you could loosen the handlebars so that they don't stick out and remove some pedals.
Could you hang several frames on a wall to make room for others to fit underneath?
As for security, I would suggest covering the floor in marbles. If anyone could stand up on that they deserve what they get.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd be more worried about them being stolen.
A bike would'nt last a week in a shed round here.

Storing bikes in a shed you may as well put up a huge sign on your front door or in your back garden inviting anyone and everyone to come and nick your bikes.
I wouldn't put my bikes in a shed here either but our Cumbrian hosts said that there wasn't a crime problem in the area.

We got a key to our room at one B&B but no front door key. When we asked for one we were told that the front door has not been locked in over 30 years!

When I lived in Hebden Bridge I got chatting to an 85 year old woman in my street. She was saying how sad it was that people felt that they had to lock their doors now. When she was growing up there neighbours used to just walk in whenever they felt like it to ask for a cup of sugar etc.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I wouldn't put my bikes in a shed here either but our Cumbrian hosts said that there wasn't a crime problem in the area.

We got a key to our room at one B&B but no front door key. When we asked for one we were told that the front door has not been locked in over 30 years!

When I lived in Hebden Bridge I got chatting to an 85 year old woman in my street. She was saying how sad it was that people felt that they had to lock their doors now. When she was growing up there neighbours used to just walk in whenever they felt like it to ask for a cup of sugar etc.

You only ask for a cup of sugar if you get caught. Classic euphemism.

Top Bottom