How to Grow Women's Pro-Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
The fact that they have a man in charge of this shows they have no sense of irony at all. And if you read the answers he gives to the questions, it seems he is rejecting almost every sensible, workable idea.
Yes - progress of sorts but with caveats. At least they have this position now - there's clearly a lot of frustration in women's cycling about the UCI and part of that was because nobody spent any time on it. At least there is a conduit for this purpose now.

redcard

Veteran
The fact that they have a man in charge of this shows they have no sense of irony at all. And if you read the answers he gives to the questions, it seems he is rejecting almost every sensible, workable idea.

Talking about irony, there's not many women contributing to this thread either :tongue:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think the only hope for womans cycling is totaly rebranding it, eg.. cycling in cities, countries, areas were the men don't race, still are a "grand tour" but start their own, .

This is what already happens. It doesn't work. There has to be some connection. It isn't patronizing to suggest that many events should have both men's and women's versions - it's pragmatic and more to the point, it's what the top women cyclists want.

The parallel races are a great idea. The iconic names in the cycling calendar are the ones the public know (if any). My own experience as a fan who has taken to going to races over the past 5 years or so would bear it out.

My partner and I went to the nationals in N Yorks earlier this year. Sarah Storey's race-long attempt to catch the leading quartet was the stand-out performance of the day. We'd not have seen it if the race was not at the same course.

Sending the women out on the ToB course a few hours before the men would give them a roadside audience of millions in this country.

oldroadman

Veteran
The parallel races are a great idea. The iconic names in the cycling calendar are the ones the public know (if any). My own experience as a fan who has taken to going to races over the past 5 years or so would bear it out.

My partner and I went to the nationals in N Yorks earlier this year. Sarah Storey's race-long attempt to catch the leading quartet was the stand-out performance of the day. We'd not have seen it if the race was not at the same course.

Sending the women out on the ToB course a few hours before the men would give them a roadside audience of millions in this country.
If anyone commenting had the slightest idea how much a race like ToB costs, then double it for all the extra staff, police, motos, commissaires, teams, etc, then can suggest a sponsor who would double their input to support a women's race on what would have to be a shorter route (stage of 200km at what pace??), and need another TV crew to provide about three minutes of "highlights" a day, send your answers on a postcard to the ToB organisers. I'm sure they would be pleased to hear from you.

In essence, combining women and men racing on track, at cyclo-cross, MTB works because the logistics work - UK national trophy cross races are an example.

On the road it's an entirely different matter, and putting women on the same route and distances as men would make a very poor comparison. ASO tried a "Tour Feminin", with stages around 120-130km (I was involved a little at one point), and it simply didn't work economically, and as the organisers of big races are in the main commercial operators there has to be a profit in it to pay the extra staff and costs.
Simply trying to force the organisers to run a women's race ahead of/after the men's race will probably make them raise two fingers and go off to run other stuff, like golf, less problems and more cash, which would only leave struggling amateurs.
None of this is a solution, but is reality, and I think the future for women's racing could be good, but needs careful marketing and sensible wage rates for riders and staff, decent well promoted stand alone races, piggy-backing on men's races where it works, and quality racing. The blocks I can see are the poor strength in depth of the professional women's peloton, and the financial one.
It's chicken and egg, enough big events to aspire to, more women race, quality goes up. But you have to look at figures, for every woman racing there are about 8 men, so the base of the triangle which eventually produces top riders is larger.
Easy solution - there isn't one, much as it would be nice to say there is.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Indeedy... :girl: :girldance:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If anyone commenting had the slightest idea how much a race like ToB costs, then double it for all the extra staff, police, motos, commissaires, teams, etc, then can suggest a sponsor who would double their input to support a women's race on what would have to be a shorter route (stage of 200km at what pace??), and need another TV crew to provide about three minutes of "highlights" a day, send your answers on a postcard to the ToB organisers. I'm sure they would be pleased to hear from you.

Personally, I made it very clear, as did Marianne Vos, that we were talking about day races (and especially the ones which already have sportives attached the day before). I agree that stage races are another problem.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sense, mostly. There is no easy answer. I'm guilty myself to a certain extent - I know the names of far more male top level cyclists, because I see them on the TdF coverage etc, and they make the news more often. So because I know some of the names, I tend to follow mens races more and don't really try to watch the women's ones.

Something I should try to change, maybe...

[edit] Sorry - that was in reply to thom #60

So are you watching because it's amusing to watch us making fools of ourselves earnestly pronouncing solutions and trying to make ourselves look enlightened ? :smile:
Or have any of us made any sense ?

Ofcourse some of you make sense (as clearly indicated by quite a few "likes"). However I think it's quite amusing seeing men trying to break a vicious circle. It's good to search deep, but some times there are no deep causes, only the obvious and sometime superficial ones! The way I see it it's simple: women's pro-cycling will never become as popular as men's, same as it never manage to become in any other -indoor or outdoor- sport! Regardless our personal love for the sport there is one driving power behind all: money!
Women in their majority are not big fans of sports => there is a smaller number of women spectators* => smaller viewing figures => less coverage => less advert/sponsor money in => less business people/brands interested in sponsoring a female team => less sponsors have interest in promoting the sport in order to make their sponsorship profitable.. and take it from the start to complete the circle .. => less promoted sport is highly unlikely to create more fans!

* let's not fool ouselves, men like to watch men compete. Even I sometimes prefer watching men compete! And, yes, they might watch women as well, when they have absolutely nothing better to do or as said before in combined events.

I believe the crux of the problem is the media, especially TV where the old boys network is alive and well and the newer generation of producers follow the lead of the old guard, indeed I think it is required. Following the ok coverage of the Olympics - did anyone see Lucy Garner's road race? No, I'll bet you didn't and therein lies much of the problem. I know Lucy but haven't yet seen her to ask her thoughts, but having spoken to some of our top ladies I can tell you that they are desperate to have equal billing with the men. No, there are not enough women or more importantly junior girls / women in the sport but there might be if the bloody media would stop reverting to default mode which is prolonged discussions on football, how quickly they forgot how much the nation enjoyed many of the other minority sports in the Olympics, mind you our cause wasn't exactly furthered when a drugs cheat won the men's road race, I digress.
Oh and while I am occupying the soap box why is it that in every sport shown on tv that women are always the warm up for the men, they always peak with the men, makes me sick, Yes men will 99% of the time be quicker / stronger than women but what has that got to do with it? Women are just different so the way they compete will be different, comparing them with men is where it all goes wrong and unfortunately the way most of us think is manipulated by the media which by and large is run by men. Damn, I've come full circle :wacko:. Just to add, Emma Pooley and Sarah Storey [both highly intelligent women] both want to compete over the same distances as men and they have a little better insight into what is going on than most, if not all of us on here.

Top Bottom