How to improve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jani

I started to ride a bike a little bit more than a month ago. I ride 30 kms with a rest day afterwards then I ride another 30 kms (with the duration of more than 2 hours) . I improved because since the beginning I tend to stop less times and feel stronger but I can't do more than 30 kms (including uphill rides) . Am I too weak unable to do more or what's Happening? Everyone is better, I think a 60 year old grandma could do more than me. It's just hilarious. My average speed is a bit more than 10 kms/hour.

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I started to ride a bike a little bit more than a month ago. I ride 30 kms with a rest day afterwards then I ride another 30 kms for more than 2 hours. I improved because since the beginning I tend to stop less times and feel stronger but I can't do more than 30 kms (including uphill rides) . Am I too weak unable to do more or what's Happening? Everyone is better, I think a 60 year old grandma could do more than me. It's farking hilarious.
Chill out, you've only been riding a month! When I started riding I couldn't cycle more than 8 miles without nearly dying. I used to get out of breath cycling up the little hill outside my front door. Started slowly increasing your distance. Try doing 35 km next time. Also worth looking at some of the british cycling beginner training plans.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
As mentioned, 1 month is no time at all, throwing off 18 mile rides a few times a week is great if you've only been riding a month.
I remember when I first started and 12 miles to work would see me stopping several times and exhausting me, now I don't even bat an eyelid at it.

Give it time as first priority.

Reactions: C R

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fitness is built up over time, effort and miles/kilometers.
When I first got back into cycling in early 2012 my first ride on the bike was 6.7miles. Got home barely able to stand and throwing my guts up.
6 months to the day later I did 80miles with the bike club.

lane

Veteran
From my recent experience of riding with some novices, and also other times coming back from a layoff, I would say that you are doing fine and very much as might be expected. So long as you are improving, as you say you are, that's progress. Keep it up and don't compare yourself to everyone who is going faster than you because it doesn't matter.

OP
OP
J

Jani

What sort of bike do you have ?
Mountain bike. But my friend can do 200 kms on it.

lane

Veteran
Mountain bike is slower than a road bike so your speed isn't bad. You can't expect to do 200km after 1 month of riding it takes time to build up. Try increasing the length of your longest weekly ride by 5% every couple of weeks and as that ride gets gradually longer, try to ride a couple of shorter rides each week a bit faster. You will find that you improve reasonably quickly.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Are you eating and drinking anything on the way? Longer rides require fuelling as you go, and after 2-3 hours in the saddle if you're not fuelling you may just be bonking. The old adage of drink before you are thirsty, and eat little and often, and before you are hungry, is a good lace to start. As you ride more and get fitter, you'll get more used to what your bodies fuelling requirements are, and be able to keep those pedals turning for longer.

And try not to obsess about speed, you've only been at it a month, just try and enjoy it for now and build up incrementally. As long as you are doing that, you'll want to keep cycling more and your speed and endurance will improve as a result.

OP
OP
J

Jani

What model is it, if its old and heavy then your speed is going to suffer. MTB tyres are sluggish on tarmac too.

Your speed sounds fine for MTB to be honest.
I don't know. I mean it's due to the few stops I make during the ride to refresh myself with water. It's hot here now.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Are you eating and drinking anything on the way? Longer rides require fuelling as you go, and after 2-3 hours in the saddle if you're not fuelling you may just be bonking. The old adage of drink before you are thirsty, and eat little and often, and before you are hungry, is a good lace to start. As you ride more and get fitter, you'll get more used to what your bodies fuelling requirements are, and be able to keep those pedals turning for longer.

And try not to obsess about speed, you've only been at it a month, just try and enjoy it for now and build up incrementally. As long as you are doing that, you'll want to keep cycling more and your speed and endurance will improve as a result.

Thanks. I eat before and during ride and of course I drink a lot.

Top Bottom