How to improve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks. I eat before and during ride and of course I drink a lot.
Thanks. I eat before and during ride and of course I drink a lot.

Good advice from booze and cake you won’t go far wrong

Just don’t drink to much booze or cake.

Alan O

Über Member
Mountain bike. But my friend can do 200 kms on it.
You friend has been cycling for a lot more than a month, though, yes?

You're doing great if you can already manage a couple of 30km rides per week after only a month's experience. Just keep riding and be patient, and the improvements in distance will come. Also, have a good rest from time to time - and I mean a full week. It's while you're resting that your muscles are rebuilding their tissues and improving in strength and efficiency, and that process will be held back if you keep riding without allowing enough rest - especially during your early days.

si_c

Guru
Speed and distance come with time. I was cycling for six months before I could start to significantly increase the distance that I was able to ride. Mountain bikes are also much harder work than a road bike, but that means you get fitter quicker.

The best advice I can give you is to ride little and often, if you live close enough to work/school to ride there during summer that's a great way to build up. Add in a couple of longer rides each week and you'll be surprised how things improve.

Don't forget to rest though, that's when your body adapts to what you've been asking it to do, if you don't rest, you just get over-tired, and then you will have trouble riding at all.

Wide bars , knobly tyres, and rough road surfaces can have an effect on your performance. Also check that you haven't got brakes that are binding or a slight buckle in your wheels. Lift your bike off the ground one wheel at a time to see if they spin freely and for how long .

Top Bottom