How to lose a good reputation Mr Boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

creakyjoints

Hi,
Would be interested to hear from similar (or different) experiences to mine. Just after Christmas I bought a Boardman Pro Carbon. I am sure in theory it's a great bike, but my experience has been very disappointing. After no more than 70 miles a front wheel spoke broke and, having waited 3 weeks for Halfords to find space to book it in and re-tweak the wheel, I had gone no more than 15 miles before another/the same front wheel spoke fell out again. A week ago, Halfords promised they would have a replacement wheel by today. No call, no response when you try to ring them. It seems to me that a bike is only as good as the customer's experience of it .... glowing reports in the bike press, Chris Boardman's laudable design philosophy are, in a short time, going to be worth a crock of s*1t if the assembly and after care are third world. Neither can Boardman bikes separate their reputation from Halfords simply by refusing any contact with the customer on their web site and referring all calls to Halfords. Boardman seeks to profit from a commercial deal which leverages Halfords component purchasing power and their sales outlet reach. Unfortunately, for us and him, he has to trade that against Halfords dismal reputation for service and maintenance quality. For me at least, the trade is beginning to look like a poor one. Would be really interested to hear others' experiences. Is this a growing trend .... or have I just been unlucky?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
no, you haven't. I did Dr. Bike sessions last year and came across a few Halfords assembled bikes. They were put together badly.

A friend has just bought the same bike, and took it round to Brixton Cycles in its box to be put together.

Halfords....a bunch of monkeys who couldn't give a stuff. Get a proper bike shop to look over it.

I once rescued a girl whose chainset had fallen off her newly-purchased Halfords bike. They'd even given her a certificate of safety with it, three weeks before it nearly killed her.

pshore

In the back of my memory I recall that there was a thread on possibly BikeRadar where a lot of people were grumbling about Halfords. Mr Boardman himself signed up and wrote something in that thread.

He was setting up a direct selling arm for his bikes so they could sell direct if people wanted that.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
In fairness there is a good bike mechanic in my local branch but the standards seem to vary wildly from branch to branch.

Wouldnt be at all surprised if Boardman seperates his business from them and goes it alone.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have to admit I quite like the look of the Boardman range.

However, I'm not sure I'd ever actually buy one.

Halfords staff can vary from dedicated and talented down to mouth breathing chimps, who shouldn't be allowed chocolate tools. Unfortunately the simians seem to vastly outnumber the others.

As to the bikes themselves, I'd have to be awfully keen to want to shellout over a grand on a bike without being able to test ride it first.
Compare Halfords approach with the 7 day test ride available from Wiggle for instance - no competition.

I think now Boardmans have built a reputation as decent bikes, they will look to move away from the exclusive Halfords deal. In the long run the Halfords tie in surely going to restrict sales.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Very few bike shops will check the spoke tension of a wheel, although some do check for the wheel running true. Modern wheels are not hand built and frequently have unequal spoke tensions. When I get a new wheel I test the spokes: ping each with a metal object and they should play the same note for the same side! Often there are slack spokes and these can be tightened without affecting the truing. A higher than normal note indicates a tight spoke and a lower note a slack one. The only tool needed is a spoke key and a bit of gentle patience! Just a quarter turn each time until all are firm.

chrispidgeon

The other thing is that you cannot get one! Various models on halfords site, but when you go further no store ha any that I want!

Shambles

I like the man, and I like the bikes no less than the offerings from any number of middle of the road manufacturers but I will never, in a million years, ride one.

Because one person, someone - anyone might think I bought a bike from Halffrauds.

jay clock

Massive member
Halfords staff can vary from dedicated and talented down to mouth breathing chimps, who shouldn't be allowed chocolate tools. Unfortunately the simians seem to vastly outnumber the others
Agreed.. I nipped into a branch in Bournemouth when the nipple broke off my STI gear cable. The long lad had a badge with his name one. This matched a certificate on the wall sayng he was qualified to service (maybe assemble bikes). He was really helpful and honest as he a) tried to sell me an MTB brake cable, then once I had the right part admitted he had zero idea how to fit it!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like the man, and I like the bikes no less than the offerings from any number of middle of the road manufacturers but I will never, in a million years, ride one.

Because one person, someone - anyone might think I bought a bike from Halffrauds.

10/10 for honesty.

I love my Boardman*. As does every other Boardman owner I know. I wrench it myself. As does every other Boardman owner I know; largely because the average LBS doesn't get how SRAM stuff works but is keen to learn on my pride and joy. No ta. I didn't wrench it myself for the first year but the charming young man at my local Halfords is now at Uni.

*with the singular exception of the saddle, a product of a sadistic bar steward's plastics moulding plant.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Unfortunately, poorly tuned factory wheels that come with bikes are not uncommon.

What rubs salt in the wound however is the service when problems are raised, and the regularity of bad reports. It is as if Halfords have considered, decided and accepted that failing some customers is ok as part of the cost of doing business cheaply. While for some services and products that is not unreasonable, it is definitely NOT ok when safety on roads is involved.
I wonder if Boardman chose those jokers because they co-invested in the business, or because they are everywhere, and/or because they can afford to take a smaller commission/cut (than Evans e.g.) allowing the bikes to be sold at a reasonable price. If you were him, who would you use as your high street outlet?

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
The other thing is that you cannot get one! Various models on halfords site, but when you go further no store ha any that I want!

Shambles

old range on the way out/new range just released

pathetic opinion.

the boardman bikes are good, i bought mine boxed from halfords and assembled it myself, including tightening and truing the wheels. nothing wrong with that bike.

if you cant assemble it yourself take it boxed to your LBS and get them to do it.

i never rate after sales service of any kind and i dont rely on it either, learn to look after things yourself and buy what you like.

what next... call out the AA to change a car tyre ??? Jesus, what is the world coming too ???

I understand your frustration, but although it says Boardman on the bike, your contract is with Halfords and Boardman are correct to refer you back to them. Three weeks before they can rectify a problem is much too long though, and you have been treated very poorly. Think about rejecting the bike and demanding a full refund.

Top Bottom