How to lose a good reputation Mr Boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JAC

Never ridden a Boardman bike but in terms of build quality seem good value for the price. As for Halfords I must be the one on here that has moved from LBS and started using them.Might just have been lucky but in my local store ( Huddersfield ) found them to first class.

Fozz

when i started riding again, i was quite determined to use my local independant shop. I found them to be rude, clique and very dismissive of my budget and questions........

they`ve closed down

I went into Halfords and asked the same (probobly stupid) questions and got treated like a customer, they suggested i buy online and pick up at the shop, and then, when i bought some tyres did it as a online purchase without me asking (saving me £10)

So for me, My local Halfords IS my LBS and very happy i am.......

the problem with a big company is you get a huge range of quality with regards to service you do get good people but generally if you pay peanuts.......

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I wonder if Boardman chose those jokers because they co-invested in the business, or because they are everywhere, and/or because they can afford to take a smaller commission/cut (than Evans e.g.) allowing the bikes to be sold at a reasonable price. If you were him, who would you use as your high street outlet?

He chose them because the independent trade, and other chains, were not interested in a new brand. Their message to him was basically 'once you've made your brands reputation and proved your products are a winner then we will take the risk of stocking and selling them, until then we won't touch them with a bargepole.' At the time the prescient Halfords CEO was predicting a cycling boom and was investing heavily in trying to align his own brand as a reseller of high quality cycles 'doing a skoda' so he stepped up and took a huge risk invested in a startup and sold them alongside Condors and Van Nicholas and other premium products. The strategy proved difficult (impossible) to implement, in part becuase of resistance from the potential customer base, in part becuase of the unexpected investment required, and in part because of external pressures outside a CEO's control, the company has failed to move its position accordingly. They call it the execution premium. Great strategy but implementation comes at a price.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Very few bike shops will check the spoke tension of a wheel, although some do check for the wheel running true. Modern wheels are not hand built and frequently have unequal spoke tensions. When I get a new wheel I test the spokes: ping each with a metal object and they should play the same note for the same side! Often there are slack spokes and these can be tightened without affecting the truing. A higher than normal note indicates a tight spoke and a lower note a slack one. The only tool needed is a spoke key and a bit of gentle patience! Just a quarter turn each time until all are firm.

I came across a Speicalized wheel last year which continually had spokes going loose... several visits to LBS later, but when I had a go , I found it impossible to true it with anything like even spoke tensions. Frustrated I dis-assembled the whole thing with intention of a complete rebuild, only to find the rim had a natural "pringle" to it. Sorry, but Halfords and Boardman are not unique.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
My Boardman SC Comp fixed is a brilliant bike,it's a shame you have got a Friday bike which has not lived up to the name on the tube.
As for Halfords staff,again it's a shame you have had no joy because the lad at the shop i got mine ( White City in Manchester ) from could not be more enthusiastic about me ordering a fixed and was as exited as me to see one in the flesh.
Hope you have some joy like i have with the brand,i really look forward to riding it every time.

pathetic opinion.

the boardman bikes are good, i bought mine boxed from halfords and assembled it myself, including tightening and truing the wheels. nothing wrong with that bike.

if you cant assemble it yourself take it boxed to your LBS and get them to do it.

i never rate after sales service of any kind and i dont rely on it either, learn to look after things yourself and buy what you like.

what next... call out the AA to change a car tyre ??? Jesus, what is the world coming too ???

You're joking right?

festival

Über Member
Hi,
Would be interested to hear from similar (or different) experiences to mine. Just after Christmas I bought a Boardman Pro Carbon. I am sure in theory it's a great bike, but my experience has been very disappointing. After no more than 70 miles a front wheel spoke broke and, having waited 3 weeks for Halfords to find space to book it in and re-tweak the wheel, I had gone no more than 15 miles before another/the same front wheel spoke fell out again. A week ago, Halfords promised they would have a replacement wheel by today. No call, no response when you try to ring them. It seems to me that a bike is only as good as the customer's experience of it .... glowing reports in the bike press, Chris Boardman's laudable design philosophy are, in a short time, going to be worth a crock of s*1t if the assembly and after care are third world. Neither can Boardman bikes separate their reputation from Halfords simply by refusing any contact with the customer on their web site and referring all calls to Halfords. Boardman seeks to profit from a commercial deal which leverages Halfords component purchasing power and their sales outlet reach. Unfortunately, for us and him, he has to trade that against Halfords dismal reputation for service and maintenance quality. For me at least, the trade is beginning to look like a poor one. Would be really interested to hear others' experiences. Is this a growing trend .... or have I just been unlucky?

This is an excellent bike for the price but I know there were problems with the wheels that were easy sorted by a competent mechanic (don't laugh) coupled with the poor/non existent PDI'ing
If you still haven't resolved this I strongly recommend that you speak to the store manager and put him on the spot. Generally the store managers have been instructed to do what ever it takes to avoid a complaint. He may be unaware of what is going on, but make sure you get the store manager and not just a duty manager. If still no joy insist on speaking to the area manager, they will go berserk at the store for dragging them into it but should ensure you are happy
Ask him How many full timers work in the bike hut and what experience they have and is the bh manager is qualified as many are now not cyclist let alone have any knowledge of bikes if you get a poor response to these questions suggest they pay to have it serviced elsewhwere.

bauldbairn

I own a Boardman and wouldn't hesitate to buy another - possibly the new CX Team later this year.

Halfords differ greatly from town to town and many do allow test rides if they have the bike in stock(as they all should really) - probably only around the car park though.
Very few LBS's will allow you much longer test rides(unless your Norm and ride it home - then phone up and say you'll take it!).

All the dimensions of the bikes are available on the Boardman website - so buy carefully - I believe all internet purchases can be returned if completely unhappy within 7 days(isn't it the law?).

The bike mentioned in the OP did have problems with spokes and this should have been rectified by your local Halfords branch. As "Festival" says ask to see the manager and if you don't get satisfaction take it to a bike mechanic you can trust and ask them to sort it - then take the bill to Halfords.

Good luck.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I own a Boardman and wouldn't hesitate to buy another - possibly the new CX Team later this year.

Halfords differ greatly from town to town and many do allow test rides if they have the bike in stock(as they all should really) - probably only around the car park though.
Very few LBS's will allow you much longer test rides(unless your Norm and ride it home - then phone up and say you'll take it!).

Good luck.

The Halfords in my closest large town has a MTBer and he does know his stuff so i would not hesitate to buy a bike from them although i would always take my bike to the LBS for any serving/repairs i could not do as they are quick, cheap and do have the time to talk to you.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
You're joking right?

not one bit, i bought the bike sealed in a box so they didn't get to touch it and its not going anywhere near a halfords anytime in the future.

i rode it for 300 miles then put it away for the "road salt" season, complete with a full strip-down and rebuild (apart from bar tape). nothing wrong with the bike, rides very well.

unless the frame/forks fail then my bikes relationship with halfords ended the minute i carried the box out of the shop

OP
OP
C

creakyjoints

Jig Sore - what a shame your post is so disrespectful after all the helpful and well-informed comments of other cyclists. My bike was offered and sold to me assembled - so I have every reason to expect it to be done competently. It's not a question so much of 'after sales' as selling it in a useable state in the first place. Learning to 'look after things yourself' has nothing to do with accepting shoddy goods that are under warranty so you have totally missed the point, I'm afraid.

old range on the way out/new range just released

what next... call out the AA to change a car tyre ??? Jesus, what is the world coming too ???

Well, actually yes. I can't get off wheel nuts tightened at the garage and I would not dream in a thousand years of changing a tyre, for example, on a dark country road or on a motorway.

Jig Sore - what a shame your post is so disrespectful after all the helpful and well-informed comments of other cyclists. My bike was offered and sold to me assembled - so I have every reason to expect it to be done competently. It's not a question so much of 'after sales' as selling it in a useable state in the first place. Learning to 'look after things yourself' has nothing to do with accepting shoddy goods that are under warranty so you have totally missed the point, I'm afraid.

Quite.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
OK, i didn't mean to be disrespectful. i meant the problem is not with Mr boardman or the bikes, the problem is with halfords.

if your going to buy a boardman you should buy it boxed, which is an option, and don't let halfords near it.

if you cant put it together yourself, take it to the LBS.... NOT halfords.

if it goes wrong and you cant fix it yourself, take it to the LBS... not halfords

if you need a spare part, go to your LBS... not halfords.

if the frame or forks fail unfortunately your going to have to go through halfords.

i still stand by what i said on changing a car wheel, there are extend-able tools that will allow you to undo the wheels nuts, they should not be that tight. you should also know how to change a bike tyre for when your out riding. anyone can learn it. no excuses im afraid (OK maybe if your a pensioner)

Top Bottom