How to start cyclocross ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
As the title suggests really, I'm interested in trying cyclocross before I get any slower!
Already got a road bike so would just need the bike, shoes and cleats

But where to start after that...
Is it just a case of finding a club and staring or can I just go out and practice somewhere

S-Express

You don't even need to find a club, although joining a club is always a good move if you plan on competing. Once you have the bike, just find out where/when your local CX league dates are and just rock up. Depending where in Birmingham you are, your local region would probably be West Mids or East Mids - take a look on the BC events pages

outlash

also available in orange
Indeed, not being a member of a club doesn't stop you from racing. You may need to be a member of BC though, it depends on the league(s) you're planning on racing in.

Just go out and practice. For me, it's about being confident on the different surfaces you'll encounter and getting proficient at the dismount/mount bits. Fitness is down to you. It'll be the hardest 45+ mins you'll ever do on the bike, but great fun.
One race day tip, always do a course recce. Normally I'll walk it first then warm up by riding it a couple of times before going to the start grid.

As the title suggests really, I'm interested in trying cyclocross before I get any slower!
Already got a road bike so would just need the bike, shoes and cleats

But where to start after that...
Is it just a case of finding a club and staring or can I just go out and practice somewhere

I'm glad you posted that question ( it saves me having to do it ) I'm just wondering if they run 'geriatric races' ? I'm 52 soon and don't want to get lapped a few times by the super fit teens or twenty something's

outlash

also available in orange
I'm glad you posted that question ( it saves me having to do it ) I'm just wondering if they run 'geriatric races' ? I'm 52 soon and don't want to get lapped a few times by the super fit teens or twenty something's

All races are grouped by ages so you don't line up with people 30 years your junior. Doesn't stop you possibly being thrown in with ex-pros and world champs though :smile:.Being 52 puts you in the 'veteran 50+' catagory.

Last edited:

S-Express

I'm 52 soon and don't want to get lapped a few times by the super fit teens or twenty something's

You will be lapped regardless, so don't worry about it. Plenty of superfit, superfast +50 vets out there too. The great thing about cross is that after the first lap or so, most people don't know where they are anyway, as everyone is riding their own 'mini' race according to their level.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You will be lapped regardless, so don't worry about it. Plenty of superfit, superfast +50 vets out there too. The great thing about cross is that after the first lap or so, most people don't know where they are anyway, as everyone is riding their own 'mini' race according to their level.

Yes. Once the first lap is done you are racing with two or three other riders for 34th* place or whatever.

*this example is based on my own typical experience, you might be riding for something better.

outlash

also available in orange
Yes. Once the first lap is done you are racing with two or three other riders for 34th* place or whatever.

*this example is based on my own typical experience, you might be riding for something better.

I dream of 34th.....

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
All races are grouped by ages so you don't line up with people 30 years your junior. Doesn't stop you possibly being thrown in with ex-pros and world champs though :smile:.Being 52 puts you in the 'veteran 50+' catagory.

It does depend on how many riders there tend to be in a given league. Sometimes vets, women and seniors might be all lumped together in one race but when the fields get larger races tend to be split (probably most races now). Vets races are a bit shorter (about 45 mins instead of about 1 hr)

There was a world champ in the vets race at my local 'cross event last season.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I dream of 34th.....

I came 9th once.

It was February and the weather was so shoot only 18 riders turned up.

I generally finished about in the middle so 90 riders meant about 45th.

I was a tactical rider though, I'd be sure to enter races which were shared between two leagues and which few riders from my league would show up at (generally London league events- some were shared with central). That way I could finish 40th, say, and be perhaps 7th in my region, and perhaps 2nd vet in my region which meant oodles of league points.

e-rider

crappy member
I was thinking about CX too. I have an old fully rigid MTB with narrow mud tyres - it seems to be acceptable to use the MTB instead of a CX bike?
I see that most events say £15 on the line, is it possible to enter in advance for less money?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was thinking about CX too. I have an old fully rigid MTB with narrow mud tyres - it seems to be acceptable to use the MTB instead of a CX bike?
I see that most events say £15 on the line, is it possible to enter in advance for less money?

Will be cheaper if you are a BC member- otherwise the organizers add some extra for insurance. Sometimes will be a reduction for entry before race day- depends on organizer.

Bike should be fine assuming local league type event . Narrow tyres are a good idea!

e-rider

crappy member
Will be cheaper if you are a BC member- otherwise the organizers add some extra for insurance. Sometimes will be a reduction for entry before race day- depends on organizer.

Bike should be fine assuming local league type event . Narrow tyres are a good idea!
I was looking at the 'western' league events - are these too serious for me?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was looking at the 'western' league events - are these too serious for me?

No- will be fine.

Riders whose form is known to the organizers will be gridded at the front at the start. Just line up and ride your own race to start with to see how you get on and start working your way up the field if you can. The field stretches out very early on in a 'cross race.

Top Bottom