How to start cyclocross ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Well I've got the bike just need to sort out the pedals and shoes now.

Hopefully my to attend an event in early October as my weekends are booked initial then

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Went along to my first CX training session last night with Holmfirth CC... Only did 8 miles, but bugger me, they were the hardest 8 miles I've ever ridden...

Made me realise I need to lose some weight and get a shed load fitter before I consider entering any races...

screenman

Legendary Member
Went along to my first CX training session last night with Holmfirth CC... Only did 8 miles, but bugger me, they were the hardest 8 miles I've ever ridden...

Made me realise I need to lose some weight and get a shed load fitter before I consider entering any races...

The nice thing about cross is there are many races going on, there will be somebody there of your level that is for sure, do not put of starting the season is too short. Nobody will take the P if you come last, they will though admire you for having a go.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The nice thing about cross is there are many races going on, there will be somebody there of your level that is for sure, do not put of starting the season is too short. Nobody will take the P if you come last, they will though admire you for having a go.

@Kestevan Screenman is correct.

There's a belter in Horwich on the 2nd October. Flat, grassy and fast. I'm in the Vets at 12.30. Come and have a stab by all means.

Julia9054

Guru

I had a go a couple of years ago. They run a big event about 4 miles away from me at Ripley Castle on New Years Day including a novices race which I turned up and entered. My "training" consisted of changing my tyres! One of the toughest things I have ever done too. It's not the cycling part but running with your bike, getting back on and trying to get the bloody thing going again in so much mud! I realised I was nowhere near fit enough!
I came 23rd out of 27 - so not quite last!

S-Express

yes, but the cost is putting me off somewhat - are the events £15 each?

£15 sounds about right, same as our league events. Why is that putting you off? You don't need to be a BC member, but you will need to buy day membership if you aren't.

Last edited:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
yes, but the cost is putting me off somewhat - are the events £15 each? What BC membership is required?

Yes the Western League events are £15 each !

But where else could you spend that money & partake in an hour with your HR in the red getting covered in mud ??? .............

e-rider

crappy member
£15 sounds about right, same as our league events. Why is that putting you off? You don't need to be a BC member, but you will need to buy day membership if you aren't.
I'm unemployed so £15 is about 6 months worth of disposable cash. If it was £3 I could scrape the money together.

S-Express

I'm unemployed so £15 is about 6 months worth of disposable cash. If it was £3 I could scrape the money together.

ok, well that's understandable. Unfortunately, I don't think hardship is ever taken into consideration - it would be nice to see some kind of support/contingency fund in place like a lot of the universities have. Some leagues may be cheaper, but unlikely to be by much.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Seems to be the average price, going to do a CX race in November, missed the first two of the series, my first one was hell, finished mid pack but about 3 laps down on the top 5. However better armed now on what to expect. Not fixed any of my highlighted issues i.e unfit and over weight compared to the racing snakes but can hold my own in the Vets 40-49 pmsl :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm doing my first race of the season this weekend - better late than never, but it's taken me this long to restore my CX bike to raceworthy condition. It's the London League event at Leeds Castle.

I've only done one proper race before and that was a few years ago (I was in the Seniors then, I'm in the Veterans now). Really looking forward to it.

I'm not expecting to finish in the top half of the field - there are currently 47 riders signed up, so if I finish 34th, I'll be happy! Just going to go out and have a lot of fun. And hopefully get very muddy.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Enjoy ! it's painful but totally enjoyable at the same time. 130 odd riders in the Vet 40-49 race I did a fortnight ago , total carnage at the first pinch point . After which I was always chasing after startin at the back. Going to try and get into another race soon hopefully, can't really sign up to do full series racing so just pick and choose what I can do.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Going to try and get into another race soon hopefully, can't really sign up to do full series racing so just pick and choose what I can do.

Great thing about cross - seems to be very easy to get into and very inclusive, and you can just pick and choose events to enter and sign up on the line, don't even need to be a member of a club or BC, as mentioned upthread (although I am both). I'm doing the one this weekend then I'm hoping to do two more this season. Maybe next year I'll get into it more seriously.

To go back to the OP re practice: the only practice I've done is riding round trails in the woods, and at the park where they have the local CX races. Nothing quite prepares you for the adrenaline of actually racing but it's good to get a bit of a feel for the terrain and handling if you're only used to road riding (I've never been into MTB either, though I did a bit of BMX in my youth).

In my very limited experience, what @screenman says is very true:

Last race I did, I finished comfortably mid-field. Got lapped twice by the top few riders but they don't care about that and won't judge you for it, as long as you don't get in their way when they're trying to get past. I also lapped a few riders myself.

Top Bottom