How to start cyclocross ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LauraTri

Might have missed this on this thread, but where are the best places to go for cyclocross practice around Essex?

@LauraTri , I race CX but don't really practice CX, there are no designated areas you have to make your own up from whats available. However when I used to practice I used Weald Park near Brentwood as its close to me . Now there are more restrictions on where you are supposed to cycle there with designated paths. I used to go off piste so to speak to find hills,mud, descents and tricky corners to tackle. Thorndon park was another place with some areas of interest.
If your not near Brentwood that will not have been a lot of use to you. Note there only 3 Eastern region CX races left this season and 1 of those is full already ( for women)

S-Express

Might have missed this on this thread, but where are the best places to go for cyclocross practice around Essex?

MTB trails are useful practice areas, but CX courses are generally not that technical. As Harold the dog mentions, you may have missed the boat for this season.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm not expecting to finish in the top half of the field - there are currently 47 riders signed up, so if I finish 34th, I'll be happy!

Just checked the results. I finished 87th out of 95 riders. On the plus side, I was only lapped once... but I was lapped by nearly half the field. I managed five laps in total.

I was actually the second to last person to finish - would have been last but passed my 'rival' in the last 500 metres. Everyone behind us was either another lap down and had finished already, or had pulled out. One person pulled out after two laps having taken 20 minutes per lap (I was 9-10 mins per lap, the winner was 7 minutes per lap).

It was an incredibly tough course - much harder than the last race I took part in. This was mainly down to the fact that it was in grassy fields, with very uneven ground, so it was difficult to get any momentum going.

I was also held up a few times by stopping to give way to faster riders - thought it was only fair, since they were actually 'racing', I was just 'taking part'.

Round 4 of the East Kent league next week. Been a bit poorly lately but hoping to be fit for that, especially as it's happening just a few miles down the road.

LauraTri

Thanks guys! I know I've missed the boat this season - I don't even have a cyclocross bike!! Any recommendations??

LauraTri

@LauraTri , I race CX but don't really practice CX, there are no designated areas you have to make your own up from whats available. However when I used to practice I used Weald Park near Brentwood as its close to me . Now there are more restrictions on where you are supposed to cycle there with designated paths. I used to go off piste so to speak to find hills,mud, descents and tricky corners to tackle. Thorndon park was another place with some areas of interest.
If your not near Brentwood that will not have been a lot of use to you. Note there only 3 Eastern region CX races left this season and 1 of those is full already ( for women)

I am near Brentwood!! :smile: I was thinking thorndon! Hadn't considered s. Weald! Thank you!!

S-Express

Thanks guys! I know I've missed the boat this season - I don't even have a cyclocross bike!! Any recommendations??
All depends on budget - how much do you want to spend?

Our team race coach uses a Planet x xls, he has talked a couple of people into buying them with the 1 x 11 gearing.Everyone seems happy with them. They range from 799 to 1,699 depending on spec. The smallest top tube is a 51.6 cm so if you are on the small side might be a stretch but if you are above 5 ft 3 or so they should be ok. Though I am 5ft 5 and prefer a 50cm TT for CX. ( lots of people go shorter TT than their rode bike for their CX bike)
I have a bike a aluminium framed bike with Canti brakes and hate the brakes with a passion now, if I had the money would defo go carbon with disc brakes 1 x 11 gearing but purely for racing. The 2 x 11 ( or 2 x 10)gearing makes them a much more all round bike for road use. With 1 x 11 I find I run out of gears on tarmac.
Secondhand is another way to go, that's where nearly all my bikes have come from.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Pure race bike makes sense at 1 x 11 but if its a do it all, 2 x 11 is much better. My bike is an of the shelf Cube, not light at all. Wheel upgrade is the first thing for me that should shed a 1kg or so. After which its swapping out finishing kit etc to try and grab another half kilo .

Just to add the bike is not my limitation in the CX race :-) however a set of tubs or tubeless wheelset would make a difference for sure !

LauraTri

Pretty low budget at the moment as I'm a student! I've looked at the Planet X XLS and that's probably the most I'd be able to pay (eventually!)...thank you! :smile:

I do love a cube though!

In terms of size, I use 56cm for my road/TT bike?!

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Well I started this thread this time last year, but only did my first CX race yesterday...

Bloody hell i am so unfit! Out of 128 riders I came 122 lol, my average heart rate for the hour was 180 and the day after my legs still ache

Looking back ... it was "fun", at the time it was horrendous. I'll probably do a few more races to see if I stick it

BurningLegs

Veteran
Congrats @jamin100 - glad to hear you enjoyed it, kind of. ;)

Average HR of 180 for an hour sounds like a damn good workout to me, not surprised you are aching today!

Top Bottom