How to teach a 13yr old to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I have been failing to teach my daughter to ride a bike since she was 6. She had a real phobia about falling off and would never even ride with stabilisers!

As I'm trying to get my wife into cycling (mainly so I'll be the faster rider for a change! Well for a while maybe!) my daughter is starting to show an interest again after years of not even trying.

I suppose I should add that the phobia relates to an overprotective grandma who she lived with for her first five years!

Anyway, she is too old for the balance bike method so is the usual method of getting her to ride whilst I hold the seat going to be the right way now she's older? It hasn't worked in the past! Probably won't help that the only bike I have her size is a raleigh chopper!

Advice much appreciated!

Octet

Veteran
When I was taught how to ride, I had someone hold the seat whilst I pedaled. You need to build the trust first, so tell her to take the feet off the pedals whilst you push to show that you are holding it and shall stop it if she is about to fall off.
Then you went to slowly tail her in case she does fall off, making sure to stop her so that she continues to trust you. Then as she gets better, you can begin to let go and let her ride for herself, she won't realise you aren't holding the bike anymore... until she looks around like I did and hit a tree :wacko:

Good luck!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Lowering the saddle and taking the pedals off is a very quick way of converting an ordinary bike into a balance bike. If you get your daughter's saddle down low enough that her heels are touching or almost touching the ground, you can get her to scoot off both feet together. This sort of horizontal hopping keeps the body's weight centred and the moments between landing the feet are moments when your daughter is actually balancing and steering. Best on a flattish surface. Make sure she's always looking where she's going - there's a tendency for the head to drop.

You might be surprised how soon she'll be ready for one pedal, then two (with a little shoulder pushing for the start). Try not to steer her or hold her upright too much - while there's an understandable desire to be protective, it will impede her learning to balance. And it will tire you out:smile:

The final step is to raise the saddle, best done in a few stages.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The local council cycling officers teach adults, including nervous adults, to ride on a bike that they take the pedals off, and is adjusted so that the rider can put their feet flat on the ground. Your chopper should be ideal, as it has a low top tube and comfy seat. Whip off the pedals and get her into a quiet area where she can learn to let the bike run, but can control any tipping with her feet. As her confidence grows put the pedals on and she should be able to balance with her feet on the pedals.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
All excellent advice. As the father of a teenage girl, I would guess that there might be a certain embarrassment for her to been seen being taught by her Dad. If she goes to on an adult cyclist learning course, they know how to avoid that teenage toe-curling:smile:

Nebulous

Guru
Our children were all younger when they learned, but one thing we found very helpful was starting off on grass. It is softer to fall on, slows you down a bit, and makes it easier for you to keep up, but it also seems easier to balance.

OP
OP
NotthatJasonKenny

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Thanks all, as soon as she is ready to listen with her ears instead of her mouth I'll try taking the pedals off! The courses round here start at 15 so I've got 1 yr and 4 months to try before I give in and drop her off with the professionals!

sabian92

Über Member
Do what my parents did when I was a kid - tell me that they were holding on, give me a shove and just walk along side me. Eventually they stopped even doing that and I didn't realise for about 3 months. :laugh: