How will the universe end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Great thread. You can be as fanciful as you like and never be proven wrong.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Option 4 - mass is radiated in Hawking Radiation so that option is incorrect
This is what puzzles me. I read that Hawking Radiation occurred when a matter/anti-matter pair of particles spontaneously appeared just outside the event horizon of the black hole. The anti-matter particle would fall into the black hole and annihilate a bit of its mass. The matter particle would escape as Hawking Radiation. But matter particles have mass. However googling Hawking Radiation, it says it's electromagnetic radiation or blackbody radiation, which are photons. I am sure there is an explanation.

Option 2 - not likely as the dark energy force is very weak, like gravity

I only heard this one a couple of days ago. I wonder whether this expansion factor, Einstein's frig factor, causes everything to spread out or just space to spread out. If it caused everything to spread out, then the electrical, weak nuclear and strong nuclear forces are only powerful over small distances.

Seevio

Guru
This is what puzzles me. I read that Hawking Radiation occurred when a matter/anti-matter pair of particles spontaneously appeared just outside the event horizon of the black hole. The anti-matter particle would fall into the black hole and annihilate a bit of its mass. The matter particle would escape as Hawking Radiation. But matter particles have mass. However googling Hawking Radiation, it says it's electromagnetic radiation or blackbody radiation, which are photons. I am sure there is an explanation.
Explanation attempt No.1
At any point in space the energy state is random, although the probability of it being non-zero is really really small. This follows on from Heisenberg's (Not the Breaking Bad guy) uncertainty principle. If at any point this energy level reaches equivalence for a pair of particles, the energy can be "borrowed" and converted into particle and anti-particle. These particles then annihilate each other and the resulting energy is repaid.

The particles that appear can be anything but the ones with mass will just fall back into the black hole. However, if the particles that appear are massless, i.e. photon/antiphoton, then the one outside of the event horizon will move away at lightspeed. The energy that caused the appearance of the virtual particles is removed from the black holes mass using the formula e=mc^2.

It's probably more complicated than that but I find that the more I type, the less I care.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Get your thinking caps on.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am absent-mindedly listening to someone on YouTube say that the Big Bang Theory is in crisis. There was not enough helium in the early stars, not nearly enough lithium, although there is enough deuterium. Also there is too much matter. What would this mean for the end of the universe?

Seevio

Guru
The detailed explanation is very complex. The simple answer is... none of the people alive now particularly need to worry about it! :laugh:
There's the kind of not worrying where something is going to happen but not to you, like the heat death of the universe. Then there's the kind of not worrying where there won't be any "you" left to worry, like being at ground zero of the kind of explosion that ends up in documentaries filmed by people from very, very far away. If you attribute different levels of worry to these events, you may want to remain ignorant of vacuum decay.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am absent-mindedly listening to someone on YouTube say that the Big Bang Theory is in crisis. There was not enough helium in the early stars, not nearly enough lithium, although there is enough deuterium. Also there is too much matter. What would this mean for the end of the universe?
Now I am not sure whether he said there was too much helium and lithium compared to theoretical predictions or not enough. Theory predicted very small amounts of lithium. I have sometimes wondered why there is not more lithium. It would be pretty handy now.

Top Bottom