Votes: 16 19.8%
  • No change

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • - 0-5Kg

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • - 5Kg+

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
It's been slow progress recently as my weight has pretty much stagnated, however my waist measurement (and to a much smaller extent chest and hip dims) has continued to fall so I'm guessing I'm still gaining lower-body muscle while losing some fat.

The drive to remove gluten from my diet has finally killed off the last carb-heavy food in the house; these being the Ryvita and Water Biscuits I just cant leave alone in the evenings :whistle: As such I'm not carb-free, but I'd guess consuming less than 50g per day. Last of the biscuits went around three days ago and mass has dropped pretty convincingly since - a lot of this is probably transient water loss but it still feels like progress and should be a sign that I've "opened the door" to low carb again which should accelerate future losses as long as I can maintain my diet.

Figures now stand at the following:

Since the start of the year I'm down 9.7kg (12.5%), 5.0cm (5.0%) on the chest, 10.7cm (11.1%) on the waist and 5.8cm (6.0%) on the hips.
Since the start of lockdown I'm down 3.8kg (5.3%), 2.5cm (2.5%) on the chest, 5.25cm (5.8%) on the waist and 2.2cm (2.4%) on the hips.

This morning was the first time my 5-day mean weight has fallen below 68kg while I also recorded my lowest waist measurement at 85cm; a big drop from the previous 86cm and again suggesting water loss but I'll take it!

I'm averaging about 0.5kg lost per week which suggests a weekly energy deficit of around 3600kcal or two days worth / 14% of my BMR.

According to my spreadsheet I need to lose another 3.5kg to reach my target of just over 64kg; this is where my waist should measure 0.9 times my hips (the WHO's threshold for "abdominal obesity") although since my hip measurement is still shrinking too to an extent I'll probably have to lose a bit more to hit the target. If you wish to pay it any credibility, my BMI is currently right in the middle of the "healthy" range at 21.65kg/m^2.

FWIW I'm cycling on average about 120 miles per week with the less active weeks often being supplemented by walking. I'm a simple creature with limited ability and interest when it comes to cooking and allergies to seemingly everything, so diet is fairly basic. Typically I eat two soft-boiled eggs on toasted seed loaf for breakfast, with lunch and dinner usually consisting of meat (chicken kiev, fish fingers or occasionally home made burgers or steak) or quiche with dressed salad or steamed greens and broccoli, cheese and greek yoghurt. Snacks are limited to strawberry yoghurt, 70% dark cooking chocolate (half the sugar of milk), cheese and pickled onions, green grapes, occasionally low calorie ice cream..

It's funny reading that back and remembering how my diet used to be; massively carb-heavy with lots of bread, potatos, crisps, chocolate... I don't plan to necessarily cut all of these out forever, but certainly have no desire to return to the days of compulsively eating large quantities daily like a helpless sugar-craving fiend!

Anyway, there we go.. I appreciate the opportunity to summarise my progress in this thread and hope everyone else is making some headway too :smile:
Eh, not really. :blush:

screenman

Legendary Member
My hair is a bit longer than normal, is there any chance it weighs a stone?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'm down from 91 kg to 84 kg since lockdown.

I put it down mostly to the reduced beer intake - about 15 pints/week down to 1 bottle. Some has been replaced by whisky, but total alcohol is about 1/4 of what it was.

Snacking is, as before, controlled in the supermarket, and is more or less unchanged.

Exercise has changed, with hardly any at home, and the daily commute and the mile or so I used to do wandering about at work is gone. What used to be cycling days a
(Tue/Thu/Sun) are unchanged, apart from the loss of pub stop, but I'm making more of an effort to get out on other days for an hour or two (6 miles walk, 25 miles bike).
Overall, the step counter app on the phone has been recording much the same 10,000 steps a day I've averaged for the last couple of years, since I got the current phone.

Slick

Guru
The scales are wrong, they must be, wardrobe is also a clothes shrinking machine, help urgently needed, at least when the shops open I should have more than one pair of trousers to wear shortly after.
We must have the same wardrobe and I refuse to go anywhere near those infernal scales. :eek::eek:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I hit 14st 10 after Christmas so I decided that it was time to aim to lose a couple of pounds a week eating smaller portions of normal stuff and have a good walk each day and a bike ride every 2 or 3 days... one week we had scones with clotted cream and a salted caramel magnum after tea... I like this diet!

Weighed myself every Saturday morning before breakfast on the Wii since and this morning down to 13st 6, so ridiculously excited!

9 bags of sugar in a backpack... 9!!

Slick

Guru
I hit 14st 10 after Christmas so I decided that it was time to aim to lose a couple of pounds a week eating smaller portions of norma stuff and have a good walk each day and a bike ride every 2 or 3 days.

Weighed myself every Saturday morning before breakfast on the Wii since and this morning down to 13st 6, so ridiculously excited!

Well done. I'm carrying a few more bags than that. :laugh:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm down from 91 kg to 84 kg since lockdown.

I put it down mostly to the reduced beer intake - about 15 pints/week down to 1 bottle. Some has been replaced by whisky, but total alcohol is about 1/4 of what it was.

Snacking is, as before, controlled in the supermarket, and is more or less unchanged.

Exercise has changed, with hardly any at home, and the daily commute and the mile or so I used to do wandering about at work is gone. What used to be cycling days a
(Tue/Thu/Sun) are unchanged, apart from the loss of pub stop, but I'm making more of an effort to get out on other days for an hour or two (6 miles walk, 25 miles bike).
Overall, the step counter app on the phone has been recording much the same 10,000 steps a day I've averaged for the last couple of years, since I got the current phone.
Excellent work - a pretty sad indictment of the weight-influencing properties of beer though!

I hit 14st 10 after Christmas so I decided that it was time to aim to lose a couple of pounds a week eating smaller portions of normal stuff and have a good walk each day and a bike ride every 2 or 3 days... one week we had scones with clotted cream and a salted caramel magnum after tea... I like this diet!

Struggling with the conversion but that's what, 18lb or about 8kg? Nice work; that's a significant drop and I bet you feel great for it :smile:

I continue to make progress but it's increasingly slowed by the occasional carb-binge and for the first time in months I've had a few days where my 5-day mean mass has increased slightly for a day or two. As irritating as the carb-effects are it's interesting to watch how my weight grows by around 1kg the day after consumption (more than the mass of the food alone, no doubt due to water retention), before receding over the following days (providing I stay off the diabetes-fuel).

Anyway, today was my lowest (just) registered single mass value at 66.75kg, bringing my 5-day mean down to a shade under 67kg for the first time. I did a lot of miles earlier in the week but haven't done a "proper" ride since Tuesday on account of the weather (probably a good excuse to recover) and am hoping to get out today as it's nice outside and I have a few new cycling-related goodies to try out :smile:

FWIW figures now stand at the following:

Since the start of the year I'm down 10.6kg (13.6%), 5.8cm (5.8%) on the chest, 11.8cm (12.2%) on the waist and 6.2cm (6.4%) on the hips.
Since the start of lockdown I'm down 4.7kg (6.5%), 3.3cm (3.3%) on the chest, 6.4cm (7.0%) on the waist and 2.6cm (2.8%) on the hips.

BMI is around 21.4 and hip:waist ratio is stubbornly stuck at around 0.934 as I think the rate of loss from my belly slows as its fat content is reduced. The spreadsheet is predicting I need to lose a little under 3kg to reach my "no longer abdominally-obese" goal of H:W=0.9; the suggestion I've not-yet arrived endorsed by the fact that I I still have tits and a belly - if a lot smaller than they were!

It's weird looking at myself in the mirror as this is uncharted territory for me and I've been overweight since I was a child. I can see ribs and a lot more definition in my upper body, while when I stretch I actually look skinny! Sadly baths have become less-fun due to the reduced padding for all the bony protrusions in my back..

To an extent IMO it's a sad indictment of prevailing social norms and attitudes, but being slimmer makes me feel more legitimate as a human - not that I should be made to feel this way or need such validation of course. However, things remain pretty crappy currently so I'll take it where I can; I do feel rightfully proud that while everything else is heading south and apparently outside my control, I have at least made progress in one area of my life I've never been happy with / able to manage effectively.

So that's all for now - I don't expect everyone to wade through my posts and ybh just value the ability to add the odd update just for the retrospective milestones and motivation they allow me. I hope everyone else who's trying to lose some mass is making progress :smile:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't have scales at home as when i've had them in the past i find it obsessive,checking my weight every day,sometimes twice or even three times a day. I think i've lost weight due to my gym being closed for months. I eat better when i use the gym,carbs wise. I'm all over the place with my diet now! The other day i went the whole day without anything but a banana to eat. My body seems to tell me that if i'm not burning energy then i don't have to eat to replace burnt energy.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Been very disciplined with my eating these last 2 or 3 weeks, and a lot of moderately low weight high rep work. Down to 254lbs, which I think its about 18 stone 2lbs. Weirdly, I feel fat all of a sudden! I've not felt brilliant this week, had a migraine this tlasted several days, and then another day or two feeling a bit wobbly once it had gone. So, just not been myself and thsts probably why I'm not feeling as mighty and invincible as normal.

MarkF

Guru
I am still around 80kg, ripped and buff at 57, I have no gym to go to but will be pumping for England when the shoot hits the fan, which won't be long now........

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looks like the honeymoon's over - got the weight down to a 5-day mean of around 66.5kg for a bit but have now bounced back to around 67.0kg after not-so-many rides recently and some slipping diet commitment / carb binging thanks I think to getting tired of what I'm eating and not getting enough sleep.

Going to give it maybe a relaxed week and try to work on getting to bed earlier, then maybe try and hit the weight loss again. Really wanted to be c.64kg by August, but not sure that's likely to happen now..

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm over 10 lbs down and only a couple to go before my weight starts with a 9 again.

The last time I weighed 9 st something was in my early 20's :hyper: :wahhey:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looks like the honeymoon's over - got the weight down to a 5-day mean of around 66.5kg for a bit but have now bounced back to around 67.0kg after not-so-many rides recently and some slipping diet commitment / carb binging thanks I think to getting tired of what I'm eating and not getting enough sleep.

Going to give it maybe a relaxed week and try to work on getting to bed earlier, then maybe try and hit the weight loss again. Really wanted to be c.64kg by August, but not sure that's likely to happen now..
You have 5 weeks to do it - that is only 0.6 kg/week, which is a nice steady rate of loss to aim for.

Top Bottom