Votes: 16 19.8%
  • No change

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • - 0-5Kg

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • - 5Kg+

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Do youdo any other type of exercises besides cycling?
Only really walking. I hear weight-bearing exercise is good to supplement cycling to prevent loss of bone density, although really I don't mix them much and tend to walk more when the weather's not so hot / in winter or if I'm not feeling confident on / have fallen out of love with the bike.

I also started swimming before the world ended in an effort to improve all-round fitness and upper body strength / shape, however I'm crap at it and obviously haven't had the opportunity since the pox struck; as I'm too much of a nancy to swim anywhere outside of a pool.

I'd like to work on my upper body more as it still looks like a potato with cocktail-stick arms, however my joints are crap, weights bore me and unlike cycling I can't think of any suitable activity that I'd enjoy in it's own right (other than kayaking but that's probably too much cost and hassle currently). Suggestions most welcome!

kynikos

Veteran
I decided something good had to come out of lockdown so went for a healthier me. I'm down 6Kg since lockdown started with another 9 to lose to get to my target BMI of 25. A combination of a healthier diet, virtually no alcohol, and cycling most days seems to be doing the trick.

Being self-isolated and having to have others do the shopping is helping as there's no 'Ooh, I'll just pop that treat in the shopping basket' anymore!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yikes... I just weighed myself - 90 kgs (14 st 2 lbs) - that's way too high!

I haven't really been eating more - that is what comes of eating the same as usual but reducing my exercise by about 75% for 6 months. (I pretty much stopped cycling back in November, had an easy December, and was just starting to get back into it this year when the virus arrived on our shores.)

I aim to get down to 78-79 kgs (12 st 4 lbs - 12 st 6 lbs). I will cut my standard portion of rice/pasta down from 125 g to 90-100 g and start my intermittent fasting again a couple of days a week. I could do more than that but I'll give it a few weeks and see how I get on. I'll also aim to ride more than 100 kms a week (as opposed to less than 50). I'd be content to average a loss of about 0.5 kg a week, which is easily doable.

I'm the lightest Ive been since I was around 16year old ( 28 years ago), I was 56.1kg this morning :shy: I'm getting stronger on the bike though so hopefully its excess I'm losing rather than muscle. Cafe's, pub stops and constant refuelling have disappeared :wacko:
It fell to 55.7 kg just after that but its been reasonably stable since the circa 56.5kg. Hopefully the loss was just the situation and not caused by other things coming back. I have a scan coming up to hopefully confirm it hasn't.

My weight gain is getting me down, not over a short period of time. But ive put on 4 stone in 4 years, gone from being a regular 6 day a week rider, to 6 times a year because i really CBA. need to get my mojo back, recently moved to north norfolk in the middle of beautiful countryside but still no inclination.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not quite sure how, but I've lost 2 pounds this week.

I'll up from 5 protein meals a day to 6, see if I can get it back.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how, but I've lost 2 pounds this week.

I'll up from 5 protein meals a day to 6, see if I can get it back.
I've upped my food intake massively but my weight after dropping over a stone rapidly, then pounds has stabilised, touchwood and hasn't went back up. I read a theory based on testing that people getting 8.5h sleep as oppose to 5h sleep quickly (within 14 days) experience a change in body metabolism, their body switches to burning more fat in preference to muscle. It seems to fit me I'm got lighter but stronger :wacko: I have a scan later to hopefully say my weight loss is natural and things haven't come back :shy:

I've upped my food intake massively but my weight after dropping over a stone rapidly, then pounds has stabilised, touchwood and hasn't went back up. I read a theory based on testing that people getting 8.5h sleep as oppose to 5h sleep quickly (within 14 days) experience a change in body metabolism, their body switches to burning more fat in preference to muscle. It seems to fit me I'm got lighter but stronger :wacko: I have a scan later to hopefully say my weight loss is natural and things haven't come back :shy:
This is the article https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-source-healing/201010/sleep-more-burn-more-fat hopefully it explains my initial weight loss which now seems to be stable but the scan I had yesterday should show if it's due to anything else :-/

ozboz

Guru
i am about the same as I was just after Xmas, but I could do with shedding a stone which will take me down to 12 stone, that’s around the weight I was when I joined the Army at 17 , I was up to 17 stone in the mid 70’s but steadily lost it and got to 13-14 stone by the early 80’s and hovered around that ever since. I’ve set my self a target to get to a 32” waist line , so I’m doing more walking now I find that good for burning it off , I’ll be glad when the Richmond Park opens , then I can do a combi of cycling and walking ,

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I don't weigh myself. But only the other day i was thinking how well i feel. With this lock down i am exercising and on the turbo. Yesterday i did a large gardening task for my next door neighbour. He is away and i look after his small front garden and the spare land. Well on Sunday i cleared the few weeds on his block driveway,then i ventured on to his small patio. i don't normally go in to his back garden,but i cleared a lot of weeds between his slabs. It was then i noticed a small tree had fallen on to his greenhouse. So i thought right Monday i'll sort that,well i did i cut it up and got rid of the stuff, it was then i noticed his flower bed under his hedge was overgrown with weeds. So i cleared that. I had a good day yesterday and i hope he is happy with what i have done. And i feel fit and fantastic. Turbo is coming out later this morning.

He'll be really annoyed when he's found out that you have ruined his wild flower garden and destroyed his rustic lean-to! :laugh:

wafter

Today's weigh-in was 68.25kg; bettered previously only by 0.05kg in January on the last day of an 8.5 day fast. 5-day mean value is down to just below 69kg which is the lowest it's been in my adult life.

Since the start of the year I'm down 8.5kg (11%), 4.4cm (4.4%) on the chest, 9.5cm (9.8%) on the waist and 5.2cm (5.5%) on the hips.
Since the start of lockdown I'm down 2.7kg (3.7%), 1.9cm (1.9%) on the chest, 4.1cm (4.4%) on the waist and 1.6cm (1.7%) on the hips.

Due to my new-low weight I've run out of points to compare, but when the average was in the low-69kgs my waist was around 2.5cm smaller recently than the last time I was at this weight, so the riding has gained me a good deal of muscle mass it seems.

It's nice to have one achieveable goal / area of progress in life, since everything else for me is apparently turning to sh*t currently :rolleyes:

wafter

It's been slow progress recently as my weight has pretty much stagnated, however my waist measurement (and to a much smaller extent chest and hip dims) has continued to fall so I'm guessing I'm still gaining lower-body muscle while losing some fat.

The drive to remove gluten from my diet has finally killed off the last carb-heavy food in the house; these being the Ryvita and Water Biscuits I just cant leave alone in the evenings :whistle: As such I'm not carb-free, but I'd guess consuming less than 50g per day. Last of the biscuits went around three days ago and mass has dropped pretty convincingly since - a lot of this is probably transient water loss but it still feels like progress and should be a sign that I've "opened the door" to low carb again which should accelerate future losses as long as I can maintain my diet.

Figures now stand at the following:

Since the start of the year I'm down 9.7kg (12.5%), 5.0cm (5.0%) on the chest, 10.7cm (11.1%) on the waist and 5.8cm (6.0%) on the hips.
Since the start of lockdown I'm down 3.8kg (5.3%), 2.5cm (2.5%) on the chest, 5.25cm (5.8%) on the waist and 2.2cm (2.4%) on the hips.

This morning was the first time my 5-day mean weight has fallen below 68kg while I also recorded my lowest waist measurement at 85cm; a big drop from the previous 86cm and again suggesting water loss but I'll take it!

I'm averaging about 0.5kg lost per week which suggests a weekly energy deficit of around 3600kcal or two days worth / 14% of my BMR.

According to my spreadsheet I need to lose another 3.5kg to reach my target of just over 64kg; this is where my waist should measure 0.9 times my hips (the WHO's threshold for "abdominal obesity") although since my hip measurement is still shrinking too to an extent I'll probably have to lose a bit more to hit the target. If you wish to pay it any credibility, my BMI is currently right in the middle of the "healthy" range at 21.65kg/m^2.

FWIW I'm cycling on average about 120 miles per week with the less active weeks often being supplemented by walking. I'm a simple creature with limited ability and interest when it comes to cooking and allergies to seemingly everything, so diet is fairly basic. Typically I eat two soft-boiled eggs on toasted seed loaf for breakfast, with lunch and dinner usually consisting of meat (chicken kiev, fish fingers or occasionally home made burgers or steak) or quiche with dressed salad or steamed greens and broccoli, cheese and greek yoghurt. Snacks are limited to strawberry yoghurt, 70% dark cooking chocolate (half the sugar of milk), cheese and pickled onions, green grapes, occasionally low calorie ice cream..

It's funny reading that back and remembering how my diet used to be; massively carb-heavy with lots of bread, potatos, crisps, chocolate... I don't plan to necessarily cut all of these out forever, but certainly have no desire to return to the days of compulsively eating large quantities daily like a helpless sugar-craving fiend!

Anyway, there we go.. I appreciate the opportunity to summarise my progress in this thread and hope everyone else is making some headway too :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom