HT MTB recommendation £500-£800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bashdem

Hi All

Sorry for another "recommendation" request but I've got some specific requirements so hopefully this will help.

I'm looking for a hard tail MTB to use aprrox 50% on road and 50 off road on trails like bridleways.

I'd like something with the following:

- Front fork suspension with lockout
- Hydraulic disc brakes

My budget is around £500-800 and I'll be using the cycletowork scheme through Halfords so I don't think I'm limited to any brand.

I'm 6ft 2ins, pretty fit and I cycle anything up to about 30 miles in one go (although I hope this will increase once I get my new bike!) with the occasional London to Southend type event.

I'm proper confused at the moment so any pointers, recommendations or things to think about would gladly help!!

Cheers

Norm

Giant Talon.

I have the Talon 3, one up from the base one with cable disks and Suntour XCM forks etc. I've done about 700 miles on it on roads, bridleways, tow paths, across Dartmoor and around a dedicated MTB area (Swinley Forest), including days of up to 65 miles in the saddle.

I love the thing, despite what many think about the components.

The Talon 3 starts comes in just over £400, the Talon 2.5 (which comes with hydraulic disk brakes) is around £475 and the Talon 0 at the top of the range is £850.

Crankarm

Guru
My recommendation in addition to Norm's would be a Kona Kula - Halfords do them. Very nice frames and reasonable spec. I like mine, though it wasn't purchased through C2W or Halfords. It's at the top of your budget but after the scheme savings should drop well under. I would stick slicks or Conti Travel Contacts on whatever bike you get for commuting on road.

Norm

Crankarm said:
I would stick slicks or Conti Travel Contacts on whatever bike you get for commuting on road.
+1 to that, for sure, whatever bike you choose. I got a 10% free speed boost switching from off-road to road tyres.

jayonabike