Hugely exaggerated Hand Signals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I followed a guy on my way home .he had several lights front and back extreme high visibility retro reflective stuff bright yellow gloves etc you get the picture .No-one could ever use a "sorry mate didn't see you".

The notable thing was his hand signals they were very exaggerated and precise .he would raise his arm almost vertical then down again to horizontal with arm straight as a board.It was eye catching but looked very mechanical and weird.

Anyone else do this and do you think it is effective.

KneesUp

Guru
I followed a guy on my way home .he had several lights front and back extreme high visibility retro reflective stuff bright yellow gloves etc you get the picture .No-one could ever use a "sorry mate didn't see you".

The notable thing was his hand signals they were very exaggerated and precise .he would raise his arm almost vertical then down again to horizontal with arm straight as a board.It was eye catching but looked very mechanical and weird.

It sounds like it works.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The human eye is attuned to movement so the more movement you can make, the less likely a dozy motorist will miss you. It's why on my motorbike I always used to move out to the crown of the road when approaching emerging cars, so as to create sideways movement. I still do it on the bicycle and yes, I also do exaggerated hand signals before checking behind to see if they've been noticed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some of the old school Clase 1 plod drivers were the same with their hand movements, all crisps, over emphasised, almost like a salute.

Of course, it doesnt matter how conscientiously he was indicating it's all for nowt if he wasnt thoroughly looking about first, and jn my experience observing other cyclists the odds are he wasnt.

These days I only make left hand (nearside) signals for following cyclists, in case they try to sneak up inside me.
A left signal means "it is ok to overtake me" to most drivers, the exact opposite of the behaviour I want from them.

Exaggerated legalistic cycling doesn't really add to safety and may impair it when safety and the law conflict.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps he was attempting to take flight, or he works as a Hitler impersonator?

winjim

Smash the cistern

I saw somebody doing that yesterday. No helmet or hi-vis, even had no lights on at dusk so not an over the top overcompensating to be seen type, just a bloke in normal clothes on an mtb. But his hand signals were a crisp up-down-up-down. I thought it very odd, particularly given the casual way he swung out into the road.

Siclo

Veteran
I do it on one particular roundabout at Irlam locks, my commute time coincides with the start time of the convoy of tipper trucks leaving their depot and in order to turn right I need to break into their little race, I've found it's an effective way of getting the drivers attention when he's got his umpteen tons of death machine so close to my rear wheel I'm probably in the blind spot beneath the cab.

Top Bottom