Hungry, so very very hungry...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I eat an absolute minimum of processed food, eat a lot of veg and am not naturally a fan of red meat, I manage to attain my 2500 kcal intake most days (which is more than I used to eat), I seem to be taking every increasing amount of nuts, dried fruit and home made flapjacks (River Cottage breakfast bars) to work and yet by 3pm I'm hardly able to keep my eyes open and am ravenously hungry! I'm not just talking a little bit peckish, but actually almost nauseously hungry.

I try and leave a flapjack until about 3pm but it calls to me like Edgar Allen Poe's tell-tale heart!

I cycle an average of about 80 miles a week, burning approximately an extra 5000 kcal a week.

I've shed a lot of weight through cycling (and increasing my kcal intake) but don't seem to be able to get over this feeling of being really hungry every afternoon!

So should I just follow my instinct and near-bankrupt myself by eating 1kg of cashew nuts a day or should I try and find some more slow-release foods like the flapjacks?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Couple of apples seem to get me through till teatime.....

tadpole

I eat an absolute minimum of processed food, eat a lot of veg and am not naturally a fan of red meat, I manage to attain my 2500 kcal intake most days (which is more than I used to eat), I seem to be taking every increasing amount of nuts, dried fruit and home made flapjacks (River Cottage breakfast bars) to work and yet by 3pm I'm hardly able to keep my eyes open and am ravenously hungry! I'm not just talking a little bit peckish, but actually almost nauseously hungry.

I try and leave a flapjack until about 3pm but it calls to me like Edgar Allen Poe's tell-tale heart!

I cycle an average of about 80 miles a week, burning approximately an extra 5000 kcal a week.

I've shed a lot of weight through cycling (and increasing my kcal intake) but don't seem to be able to get over this feeling of being really hungry every afternoon!

So should I just follow my instinct and near-bankrupt myself by eating 1kg of cashew nuts a day or should I try and find some more slow-release foods like the flapjacks?

Like you I was always hungry more so in the afternoon until I hit on the answer that solved the hunger, and helped me cut down to 2200 calories.
Drink at least 3ltr of water every day. Fill a 1ltr bottle with water/squash.. And drink it before mid morning, another one with lunch, and one more before I leave to go home. I do not feel hungry, nor bloated. I was thinking I was hungry when in fact i was just dehydrated. YMMV

tadpole

Ok so that is a bust, next I'd say try eating 5 times a day, small breakfast, early morning snack, lunch, Mid afternoon snack, dinner. (this along with the water thing is what I do,)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Get more fat in your diet, seriously.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Swap the flapjack for a nice fried egg in the morning.
It could well be too little fat. Anyhow, the days are not getting any warmer so you'll be burning it off quicker - I was starving after a 25 mile pootle this afternoon. A little insulation won't do you any harm.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The fat thing is genuinely interesting, I've never eaten much fat just out of personal preference. I only eat bread at the weekends but I do eat a lot of pasta.

Above all it's a lovely feeling thinking about my diet in terms of filling myself up and fuelling myself adequately, I'm calling that a minor victory in itself!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It could well be too little fat. Anyhow, the days are not getting any warmer so you'll be burning it off quicker - I was starving after a 25 mile pootle this afternoon. A little insulation won't do you any harm.

I'm still cycling into work in shorts and short sleeve tee-shirt while everyone else at work is wearing a jumper all day and putting the heating on!

Lee_M

Guru
sounds like youre suffering from eating miserable veggie food which isnt satisfying you ^_^

seriously, the lack of fat or protein could be causing the hunger feeling - its like the old story of you can gorge on rabbit along but still die of starvation

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
sounds like youre suffering from eating miserable veggie food which isnt satisfying you ^_^

seriously, the lack of fat or protein could be causing the hunger feeling - its like the old story of you can gorge on rabbit along but still die of starvation

You're possibly not far off, I was vegetarian for about nine months a while back and have never felt so hungry in all my life!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I find that wholemeal or granary toast with butter and marmalade gives me a long energy boost. It has to be proper butter, mind, not marge or spread.

I have a decent sized salad roll with some meat in it at 1 pm and fill in with apples and bananas, which works fine for me. It sounds as if you are bonking because there's too much sugar and not enough fats and carbs in your diet for longer term energy.

Top Bottom