Hungry, so very very hungry...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Protein. Whilst on tour, I would go through periods where I would wake up starving in the middle of the night. A hand ful of cashew nuts or similar would only get me through a couple of hours until I woke up really hungry again. But if I ate a hard boiled egg, I would get to sleep the rest of the night through. We ended up adding both nuts and eggs into our evening meal to resolve the problem. (I've been veggie for 29 years, near vegan for between 5-10 years (after developing a dairy allergy, near vegan because I still eat eggs...))

tadpole

I avoid the hollow calories in veggies and fruit, and stick to red meat as much as poss. Got a lifting competition next month and I don't think celery is going to help much ;)
In what way are fruit and Vegetables Hollow Calories?

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Protein. Whilst on tour, I would go through periods where I would wake up starving in the middle of the night. A hand ful of cashew nuts or similar would only get me through a couple of hours until I woke up really hungry again. But if I ate a hard boiled egg, I would get to sleep the rest of the night through. We ended up adding both nuts and eggs into our evening meal to resolve the problem. (I've been veggie for 29 years, near vegan for between 5-10 years (after developing a dairy allergy, near vegan because I still eat eggs...))

I LOVE eggs, I've been considering upping my consumption from two to four a day.

I LOVE eggs, I've been considering upping my consumption from two to four a day.

well given there are not that many calories in an egg (something like 72kcalories in a large boiled egg I think), go for it.
All those 'restrictions' on the number of eggs we should eat in a week, have long been since removed for a healthy diet and it is not unheard of for my hubsand and I to get through 18-24 in a week when we are at our friends place who has hens and seems to always have way too many delicious eggs that need eating. really tasty ones with big yellow yolks.... (now if I could import that smilie from foodchat that licks its lips)...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
well given there are not that many calories in an egg (something like 72kcalories in a large boiled egg I think), go for it.
All those 'restrictions' on the number of eggs we should eat in a week, have long been since removed for a healthy diet and it is not unheard of for my hubsand and I to get through 18-24 in a week when we are at our friends place who has hens and seems to always have way too many delicious eggs that need eating. really tasty ones with big yellow yolks.... (now if I could import that smilie from foodchat that licks its lips)...

And I've never had any problems with getting egg-bound, in fact with all this cycling I think I need eggs to bind my bowels!

Crankarm

Guru
Eggs are good. Too many lead to elevated levels of cholesterol and bad breath.

Dried fruit, nuts cashews and brazils are all good, bananas, wholemeal bread and marmalade, yoghurt and pains of chocolate are all good. Potatoes, chicken, ham, tomatoes, pasta, hard cheese, cucumber, salad, rhubarb and custard (Ambrosia). Water drink lots, make sure you are not dehydrated.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This might sound a bit mad, but have you tried having the occasional (and I mean occasional) pig out. I used to get seriously, feeling like I was going to pass out hungry when eating very very healthily. I was advised to have a right pig out and it did the trick. It didn't seem to affect my weight loss either. I didn't go mad and eat everything on McDees menu but did have a big stew, dumplings lots of veg and possibly followed by jam roly poly and custard for tea. It seemed to do the trick.

I love seeds rather than nuts. I have also been known to roll some low fat dairylea/laughing cow triangles in some lean ham and eat a handful of sunflower seeds. It works a treat.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
This might sound a bit mad, but have you tried having the occasional (and I mean occasional) pig out. I used to get seriously, feeling like I was going to pass out hungry when eating very very healthily. I was advised to have a right pig out and it did the trick. It didn't seem to affect my weight loss either. I didn't go mad and eat everything on McDees menu but did have a big stew, dumplings lots of veg and possibly followed by jam roly poly and custard for tea. It seemed to do the trick.

I love seeds rather than nuts. I have also been known to roll some low fat dairylea/laughing cow triangles in some lean ham and eat a handful of sunflower seeds. It works a treat.

Yup! A proper huge 'eat till you split' feast does help out sometimes!

david k

Hi
I eat an absolute minimum of processed food, eat a lot of veg and am not naturally a fan of red meat, I manage to attain my 2500 kcal intake most days (which is more than I used to eat), I seem to be taking every increasing amount of nuts, dried fruit and home made flapjacks (River Cottage breakfast bars) to work and yet by 3pm I'm hardly able to keep my eyes open and am ravenously hungry! I'm not just talking a little bit peckish, but actually almost nauseously hungry.

I try and leave a flapjack until about 3pm but it calls to me like Edgar Allen Poe's tell-tale heart!

I cycle an average of about 80 miles a week, burning approximately an extra 5000 kcal a week.

I've shed a lot of weight through cycling (and increasing my kcal intake) but don't seem to be able to get over this feeling of being really hungry every afternoon!

So should I just follow my instinct and near-bankrupt myself by eating 1kg of cashew nuts a day or should I try and find some more slow-release foods like the flapjacks?
do you like fruit Andy? ive found it fantastic way of working through those spells of hunger, that and low fat yoghurts, oh and coffee ha ha
i eat bananas, apples and just love pineapple which is supposed to be a super fruit!!!!!!!1

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
do you like fruit Andy? ive found it fantastic way of working through those spells of hunger, that and low fat yoghurts, oh and coffee ha ha
i eat bananas, apples and just love pineapple which is supposed to be a super fruit!!!!!!!1

I ate tons of dried fruit for quite a while, but I don't think it helped my waistline. I was regular as clockwork though.

david k

Hi
ha, ha. Ive found fruit to be very helpful. I know it has quite a lot of sugar but its frucose which is a healthier type than sucrose and it does stop me from picking at biscuits and sweets etc

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I used to suffer with dizzy spells in the late afternoons at work if it was a physically heavy day. I used to scoff and drink anything I had left in my bag to feel better(biscuits,sweets rubbish really). Now I make sure I have a sandwich either of chopped egg and spring onion or a chicken salad and a small bottle of fresh orange juice which I call my emergency pack. It has stopped the dizzy spells and late pangs.....

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

I'm no nutrition expert but I've done a fair bit of reading on diets etc for when I've been trying to get hence at the gym lol.

I've learnt that lots of small meals throughout the day is good, and that you should aim for a 40 / 40 / 20 percent split on carbs, protein and fat (in that order). The lots of small meals is good because it keeps the hunger at bay amongst other things.

Id say 2500 calories a day for someone that rides to work possibly is a little on the low side?

Have you got the MyFitnessPal app on your phone? Really handy for logging your nutritional intake and give you an idea on how many carbs, protein and fat you are taking in...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

I'm no nutrition expert but I've done a fair bit of reading on diets etc for when I've been trying to get hence at the gym lol.

I've learnt that lots of small meals throughout the day is good, and that you should aim for a 40 / 40 / 20 percent split on carbs, protein and fat (in that order). The lots of small meals is good because it keeps the hunger at bay amongst other things.

Id say 2500 calories a day for someone that rides to work possibly is a little on the low side?

Have you got the MyFitnessPal app on your phone? Really handy for logging your nutritional intake and give you an idea on how many carbs, protein and fat you are taking in...

I'm somewhere between 6' and 6' 2" depending on the measure, I weigh about 15.5 and 15 stone (haven't weighed myself for a while).

I periodically use the Spark People app to track my nutrition, the results from the last tracking session (back in June) are on this forum HERE. I was just thinking I need to have another tracking session!

Top Bottom