Hungry, so very very hungry...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I've had the same problem Andy. I've increased breakfast a lot. Porridge a banana and 2 toast. Then I've bulked out my bean salad I make for lunch with cashew nuts to increase the calorie count. It's helping certainly but I still need a 500cal flapjack mid afternoon. Fridays are 'eat as much as I can' days where I have literally no conscience, it fuels me nicely for the Saturday club ride.

I'm very guilty though of not drinking enough which is a big problem!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Well I reached my calorie target yesterday, not sure it was in the best possible way though! To be honest the maddening hunger appears to have subsided, so little bits of advice that I've received on here must have done some good!

FOOD-251012.jpg

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm very guilty though of not drinking enough which is a big problem!

I was drinking about four litres a day and I think it was messing with my belly; I know that too much fluid can have a diuretic effect.

I'm doing well on the one glass of red wine a day thing, but some days I skip so have to make up for it (like last night). I jest of course...

MattHB

Proud Daddy
All the calories from all that booze may be making you think you're eating more than you are. That was 578 calories you could have put into carbs etc

In addition, you need a way bigger breakfast!

lulubel

Über Member
The breakfast bars are homemade, the mini rolls and snickers are quite a freak occurrence :smile:

More fibre sounds appealing.

Sorry, didn't notice the breakfast bars were obviously homemade.

If you want to increase fibre in your diet, you need to be looking at switching to wholegrain versions of bread, pasta, etc. These also have the advantage of containing more protein than the white equivalents, so they fill you up initially and slow down the digestive process to keep you full for longer.

Most fruits and veggies contain loads of fibre and very few calories.

And the big one is bran. A portion of my homemade "muesli" that I have for breakfast contains 17.4g of fibre, and most of that comes from the bran. There are obviously lots of different cereals that contain large quantities of bran, but it's also really useful in its natural form. It's easy to include in recipes for cereal bars, but can also sneak into cakes, biscuits and even savoury recipes without you noticing it's there. In my opinion, it's a wonder food for anyone who wants to make their daily calories go further.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Sorry, didn't notice the breakfast bars were obviously homemade.

If you want to increase fibre in your diet, you need to be looking at switching to wholegrain versions of bread, pasta, etc. These also have the advantage of containing more protein than the white equivalents, so they fill you up initially and slow down the digestive process to keep you full for longer.

Most fruits and veggies contain loads of fibre and very few calories.

And the big one is bran. A portion of my homemade "muesli" that I have for breakfast contains 17.4g of fibre, and most of that comes from the bran. There are obviously lots of different cereals that contain large quantities of bran, but it's also really useful in its natural form. It's easy to include in recipes for cereal bars, but can also sneak into cakes, biscuits and even savoury recipes without you noticing it's there. In my opinion, it's a wonder food for anyone who wants to make their daily calories go further.

Cheers! We've been Wholgrain since Wham, although I only eat bread at the weekends, but that was a weightloss habit that I could probably do with losing now.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
From looking at that chart you posted you aren't eating enough for the amount you cycle.

You eat healthily but there really isn't enough healthy fats in there. As has been pointed out your breakfast is miniscule - for a cyclist it's not enough, your lunch again is carb heavy and not balanced.

Up the protein, up the healthy fats (avcocado, nut butters, nuts, seeds etc, olive oil, pumpkin oil etc) and just eat a bit more. No wonder you're hungry!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I know the costs of nuts have gotten crazy haven't they?

Not a lot of fruit and veg in there either, maybe throw some more in - the vitamins will do you good.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If you wanted to be really good, you could take out more of the less healthy snacks (high calorie no nutrition) and replace them with good fats and fruit and veg.

david k

Hi
i have a large bowl of all bran every morning, is this a good source of fibre? I know its supposed to be but with all foods in the modern era they can use marketing to let you think something is healthy, just thought it worth checking

lulubel

Über Member
i have a large bowl of all bran every morning, is this a good source of fibre? I know its supposed to be but with all foods in the modern era they can use marketing to let you think something is healthy, just thought it worth checking

Yes, it is, but if you're eating Kellogg's, you might want to look at supermarkets' own brand alternatives. From my experience here in Spain, Kellogg's All Bran is relatively low in fibre and high in calories compared to the alternatives.

david k

Hi
Yes, it is, but if you're eating Kellogg's, you might want to look at supermarkets' own brand alternatives. From my experience here in Spain, Kellogg's All Bran is relatively low in fibre and high in calories compared to the alternatives.
i usually buy the supermarkets own brand, i buy the biggest box they have, i find its really good value

Top Bottom