Husband not interested in touring...what have you done in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tsharman

Thistler, tell him youve found someone to go touring with, when he says oh thats nice just say yeah ya gonna meet with him somewhere!!! :whistle: you watch him change his mind about cycling bloody quick time lol. :thumbsup:

Thistler

If you would like to include camping then can I suggest that you consider joining the Camping Club? They have a network of their own sites run quite firmly by their own staff ( not so strict as be a prison camp, but they do have rules and they do enforce them)....

My 20 something year old daughter is quite happy to camp on club sites on her own - by car not bike - and the club also has a "special interest" group of lightweight campers so you might be able to meet up with some like minded souls from time to time.

Annual membership costs around £35 but some sites are for members only, and on others which do allow non-members they have to pay a surcharge, so overall it can be worth considering. Their website will tell you where their sites are in your area, so if you do decide to go down the camping "route" I would suggest that you at least take a look......

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Your road bike has braze-ons for a rack, just put one on it, and voila, a touring bike.
I was under the impression that the frame would not accommodate mudguards and bigger tires, and I would need new wheels to carry a heavy load?

Thistler

If you would like to include camping then can I suggest that you consider joining the Camping Club? They have a network of their own sites run quite firmly by their own staff ( not so strict as be a prison camp, but they do have rules and they do enforce them)....

My 20 something year old daughter is quite happy to camp on club sites on her own - by car not bike - and the club also has a "special interest" group of lightweight campers so you might be able to meet up with some like minded souls from time to time.

Annual membership costs around £35 but some sites are for members only, and on others which do allow non-members they have to pay a surcharge, so overall it can be worth considering. Their website will tell you where their sites are in your area, so if you do decide to go down the camping "route" I would suggest that you at least take a look......

Thanks - do you have a link to the club you are talking about?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks - do you have a link to the club you are talking about?

I think this is the website

As a female cyclist who is increasingly getting into cycle touring, I am lucky to have a husband who wants to/is able to :thumbsup: (he might read this :whistle: ) come along. Thinking hypothetically here, if he couldn't or didn't want to come along, I think I would still go by myself or with friend(s) ...

At the moment we mostly travel lightly (no tent/sleeping bags/cooking stuff) and stop over at B&Bs, so I can't speak from personal experience as a lone female cycle/camping

I've done lone female hillwalking/wild camping in the Scottish Highlands and thought nothing of it, apart from being very much aware that I MIGHT go over on an ankle or knock myself out, so was watching my steps and not doing anything obviously silly and left rough plans with friends (in the days before ubiquitous mobile phones :blush: ). I've also done lots of lone-female hillwalking and stayed at hostels and/or bunk houses, nice places to dry out after a rainy day, sit in the warmth, and have a chat with other "inmates" if I wanted to. Never had any dodgy situations.

Translating that into cycling, I personally would choose any wild camping sites a bit more carefully if by myself (not really much of an option in England anyway, due to legal differences). But "official" camp sites are not normally wild and lawless places that would make me worry about my personal safety, as very often the other campers are families or like-minded people, and you can normally make sure you don't pitch up next to a group of youths out for a big party (which the rest of the campers wouldn't take too kindly to!)

Good luck with the bike decisions! I can see your dilemma with your current Trek bike. You could always go for a couple of short weekend "test" tours, travelling lightly. That way you can then base your decision for a new bike on experience of what worked/didn't work for you :bicycle:

T

jay clock

Massive member
I answer to your query, I am in a similar (reverse) position. My girlfriend has done a couple of mild tours with me but it is not her preferred choice, however she is happy for me to go it alone. I quite often go with a mate, but have been alone a few times and surprised myself by quite enjoying the silence (I talk a lot!).

If you do get a partner along, they must be someone you get along with really well. Simple things like who climbs faster, attitudes to spending money, can you share a room, language (ie if you or they swear a lot and the other doesn't it can be a problem), political views. You don't have to be the same, but you do have to know it works. Check their idea of a "hard days cycling" is the same as yours. If you happily crack out a 100km laden touring day and they get tired at 60km it will never work.

Have a look at www.crazyguyonabike.com for inspiration. Cathryn of CC fame is a regular and she did a week's tour solo whilst pregnant! see here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=5899&v=3g

Go for it, whatever you decide to do!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Try this: http://www.trekbikes...20equippedwsde/

Mine is a 2009. I'm thinking I should sell it and put the money towards a touring bike - I do enjoy riding it around town but once I have a touring bike I could use that as a town/shopping bike so would not really need the Trek.

Ah, I see what you mean now, thanks. Yes, moving on to a touring bike is probable a good idea in you situation, although touring bikes can be quite expensive, there are a few budget options here.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
 It looks like the Revolution Country Traveler/Explorers in my size are all sold out - I am assuming new models will be available soon? I have read lots of positive things about the Revolution bikes here on the forum.

I am generally of the buy-once-buy-quality frame of mind - I would love a brand new bike but would my money be better spent buying something older second-hand, or are the new models built with modern technology going to be of better quality?  I have seen some pretty high spec Galaxy's go for under £600 and some decent looking ones for under £300 ....I was looking at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2eaed95e56

Or would I be better off buying an old bike and upgrading the groupset? We have a bike auction each week here and while most stuff is junk, I have in the past seen older touring bikes in need of TLC...they rarely go for over £30 but I haven't looked closely enough at them to see what makes they were. Typically they are dirty bikes from the 70's-80's that have been sitting in someones shed for years, but I suppose there is a possibility of finding a gem... I am not bothered about being fashionable, if something is good quality, works well and is comfortable then I don't care really what it looks like....  but it's all so confusing!   :tongue:

e-rider

crappy member
Find a new husband who likes cycling

OR, tell your husband that if you get really fit from cycling it could have advantages for him too; if you know what I mean! This should at least get you more cycling time, with or without him.

Ben M

I was under the impression that the frame would not accommodate mudguards and bigger tires, and I would need new wheels to carry a heavy load?

Raceblades (if you want mudguards) and 25 width tyres.

Your wheels should be able to carry a decent load, when I was touring my friend was on a road bike with 23(or 21, not sure) width tyres and normal wheels, him + kit + bike weighed 18 stone. He had a few problems with punctures, but he was on cheapo tyres that came with his bike. I weighed in at 17 stone with 25 width continental gatorskins and didn't have such a problem with punctures (one pinch flat and one from a spoke repair)

I know plenty of people who have toured to places like Geneva on road bikes with no modifications other than slightly wider tyres and a rack.

Food for thought at least; if I were you I'd tour on your bike as is before spending hundreds on a Dawes galaxy.

J.Y.Kelly

I'm in a very similar situation. My wife used to cycle but has recently put on weight and she has become self-conscious on a bike. She's gone from a size 10 to a size 14 over the years and it bothers her much more than it should. She also has had trouble with her knees and cycling seems to aggravate the problem.
So it's me on my own from now on. The earlier post which stated that being with just one companion on a tour is easier than being with a group is spot-on; fewer people to consider.
It can be annoying when everyone assumes there is an ulterior motive when cycling with a friend who just happens to be a member of the opposite sex. I would gladly tour with another female, but my wife would never agree to it.
I too prefer the company of women as there is no macho posturing or competitiveness. That's the last thing you need on a tour.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Raceblades (if you want mudguards) and 25 width tyres.

Your wheels should be able to carry a decent load, when I was touring my friend was on a road bike with 23(or 21, not sure) width tyres and normal wheels, him + kit + bike weighed 18 stone. He had a few problems with punctures, but he was on cheapo tyres that came with his bike. I weighed in at 17 stone with 25 width continental gatorskins and didn't have such a problem with punctures (one pinch flat and one from a spoke repair)

I know plenty of people who have toured to places like Geneva on road bikes with no modifications other than slightly wider tyres and a rack.

Food for thought at least; if I were you I'd tour on your bike as is before spending hundreds on a Dawes galaxy.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! 

Top Bottom