Husband not interested in touring...what have you done in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
I can't imagine what'll be uncomfortable about your road bike once it's set up how you like it, you've got a nice leather saddle I gather, and with drop bars you have no end of hand positions to adjust throughout the day, that's not to mention using different stems and spacers etc.
I think the Secteur will be ok - it's the Trek that would be uncomfortable!  Although I spent some time on the new Brooks saddle today - ouch!!!  Hope it doesn't take forever to break in!

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Have you got all the required equipment for camping? If so have you considered just taking off for 2/3 days to find out if it suits? I understand your problems with companions as there do not seem to be many people on here asking for company. I often look to see if anybody is looking for company on this and other sites. with the same negative result. I assume they are too shy or enjoy being alone.  I agree that cycle tours are too expensive. It is far cheaper to arrange your own accomadation and travel. I do not know where they get their prices from, including the CTC. You do not say what your fitness level is or the daily mileage you expect to achieve. This will help people to assess whether they are comfortaable travelling with you. There is one guy currently asking for companions that are capable of matching his anticipated 120 mile days loaded with touring gear. No takers at the moment.

Jim.
Thanks Jim, I am still in the getting ready stage!  I don't have any equipment yet, but will spend the winter getting second-hand stuff together. Then if I decide it's not for me I can sell it for not too big of a loss...I'll probably wait until spring before I take my first trip due to family complications going on right now.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Have you got all the required equipment for camping? If so have you considered just taking off for 2/3 days to find out if it suits? I understand your problems with companions as there do not seem to be many people on here asking for company. I often look to see if anybody is looking for company on this and other sites. with the same negative result. I assume they are too shy or enjoy being alone. I agree that cycle tours are too expensive. It is far cheaper to arrange your own accomadation and travel. I do not know where they get their prices from, including the CTC. You do not say what your fitness level is or the daily mileage you expect to achieve. This will help people to assess whether they are comfortaable travelling with you. There is one guy currently asking for companions that are capable of matching his anticipated 120 mile days loaded with touring gear. No takers at the moment.

Jim.

I'm not surprised. That's not a holiday, it's torture... ;)

As for not many people asking for company... I'm not sure it's shyness, or wanting to be alone. I think there's a certain aspect of not wanting to get stuck with someone you find you don't get on with - especially for a longer trip. Most of us probably either are happy alone, or have people we know we get on with. Meeting up with forummers for a day (or night) ride is one thing, esp in a bigger group because you gravitate to the people you find you get on with. And even if you think you know someone from the forum, you might find them different in real life. As someone said above, a difference in pace, or talkativeness, or ability to cope with rain, can ruin a trip if it starts to grate.

With the organised tours, yes they are pricey, but they are run as a business, so there needs to be profit. But many people have the dosh, and like to have everything arranged for them

I can think of a few people on the forum I'd expect to enjoy touring with - but I'll not be sure unless I ever actually do so....

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Not in my case dearie...

Thistler - it's always difficult to go up hills! The more you do it, the quicker you recover, and maybe you'll have a gear in reserve, but it's never going to be easy without an engine! ;)

She means you need one of these or maybe your hubby does... :whistle:

bigjim

Legendary Member
A lot of negatives there about teaming up but there are positive sides. Somebody to go to the pub with in the long evenings or sharing expenses in a B&B or hotel. It is expensive paying for single accommadation. Buying a full loaf of bread and not having to throw half away etc. There is also somebody to watch the bike when you shop or give a hand with a repair. It's also nice to share memories later if you stay in touch. I think you have to agree when you set out that if you do disagree that it's perfectly acceptable to head out alone. I read a good book about two guys travelling across Russia on recumbents. they did fall out now and then, Compromised by travelling alone sometimes but meeting up at camp in the evening. It worked well. Good idea to spend a couple of days first to see if you get on before committing to a longer tour though.
If I had the money I would like to do some of these organised tours. Italy's wine country sounded good.

Jim
I'm not surprised. That's not a holiday, it's torture... ;)

As for not many people asking for company... I'm not sure it's shyness, or wanting to be alone. I think there's a certain aspect of not wanting to get stuck with someone you find you don't get on with - especially for a longer trip. Most of us probably either are happy alone, or have people we know we get on with. Meeting up with forummers for a day (or night) ride is one thing, esp in a bigger group because you gravitate to the people you find you get on with. And even if you think you know someone from the forum, you might find them different in real life. As someone said above, a difference in pace, or talkativeness, or ability to cope with rain, can ruin a trip if it starts to grate.

With the organised tours, yes they are pricey, but they are run as a business, so there needs to be profit. But many people have the dosh, and like to have everything arranged for them

I can think of a few people on the forum I'd expect to enjoy touring with - but I'll not be sure unless I ever actually do so....

Arch

Married to Night Train
A lot of negatives there about teaming up but there are positive sides.

Of course there are. I'm just saying that teaming up with someone you happen not to get on with is a risk. Many of us probably have friends who cycle, who we know we get on with, and are therefore a 'safe bet', so we opt to travel with them rather than a 'stranger'.

I agree, it's good to be open and say at the start that if it doesn't work, you'll part, but I think a lot of people might find that hard to do, thinking it feels rude. How many of us just smile awkwardly when someone makes an inappropriate joke, for example, instead of challenging it - it takes guts.

Even in a big group, one person can grate - mostly it has the effect of binding the rest together in opposition, but it can make everyone feel guilty about 'ganging up'...

I've toured alone, and in a group of 8 or 9, but not yet with a single companion or in a trio. I'm not against the idea, it just hasn't worked out that way...

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Excellent news - my husband now says he's willing to do some short/easy 2-3 day tours with me!    :thumbsup: He says I can do the JOGLE trip by myself though....  :laugh:

We will need another bike, so here are my initial thoughts... 

I'm guessing because of his health problems he will never be into cycling like I am. Luckily for me we take the same size frame. I'd like to look around for an older Galaxy/Randonneur, and put a rack and panniers on the Secteur.  We can see how it goes - if he likes it we can always look around for another 'touring' bike later, if not then I will have dedicated road and touring bikes.   :whistle:

So I could use some advice on the whole Galaxy/Randonneur thing - it seems the Randonneurs go for a lot less than the Galaxies, but I have read they originally sold for about the same price and had similar specs? I would be after an older one, should I be looking at 80's or 90's? Are the Galaxies better bikes? 

Thanks everyone for all the help you've given so far, I really appreciate it!

J.Y.Kelly

Excellent news - my husband now says he's willing to do some short/easy 2-3 day tours with me! :thumbsup: He says I can do the JOGLE trip by myself though.... :laugh:

We will need another bike, so here are my initial thoughts...

I'm guessing because of his health problems he will never be into cycling like I am. Luckily for me we take the same size frame. I'd like to look around for an older Galaxy/Randonneur, and put a rack and panniers on the Secteur. We can see how it goes - if he likes it we can always look around for another 'touring' bike later, if not then I will have dedicated road and touring bikes. :whistle:

So I could use some advice on the whole Galaxy/Randonneur thing - it seems the Randonneurs go for a lot less than the Galaxies, but I have read they originally sold for about the same price and had similar specs? I would be after an older one, should I be looking at 80's or 90's? Are the Galaxies better bikes?

Thanks everyone for all the help you've given so far, I really appreciate it!

I've owned both and the frames are pretty similar, it's the components that may be the issue. 80's or 90's bikes will in all probability have had replacement components by now, so I'd look for one that has been kept up to date component wise as original equipment may be hard to get hold of as they become obsolete.

smeg

Re: Caravan Club Campsites - very w*nky avoid!! Caravan Club Campsites are for caravanners funnily enough. It also means screaming kids. I had to stay at the one in Braemar to have a rest for a few days (sore feet/blisters) backpacked there from Aviemore not cycling. Their staff were rude and all the silly little rules and notices all over the place drove me mad. Being told by some old battleaxe to pitch my tent right next to the peg (number) was especially laughable and unnecessary considering I was the only one there in the whole tents area. This is why I wild camp and hate campsites, it's not what it's all about for me. The only campsite I like is the one in Glen Nevis (Fort William) being an exception.

Bandini

My girlfriend does not cycle, but has come touring with me twice. First time B and B, and second time camping. She sometimes curses when she is pushing her bike up a long 16% after several hours riding, but...! I think the endorphins, the sense of achievement, and the beautiful scenery just make it enjoyable enough for her!

In my opinion the following are important:

1. You have to have a lot of time for each other! If you are not used to spending a lot of time together 1-1 then things may be tense!

2. You will probably have grumpy words at a couple of points - but if you can laugh them off at the end of the day it just adds to the fun. We have been lost in forests as sunsets pushing our bikes for miles on littel used footpaths, and been in the middle of the Moors after we lost a compass. Looking back though, these can be the best bits! They have also made us consider wild camping next time. (Obviously if you stick to roads you can negate the middle of nowhere thing!)

3. Don't go to far. I can bike a lot further, but we tend to do around 35-40 miles (in the Moors - the hills take it out of you) and do it at my girlfriends pace.

4. Make sure you have light gear - maybe carry more if you have the legs! I have fully loaded heavy panniers and the tent and stuff on, whilst my girlfriends panniers have the light stuff in.

5. Where are you going? Perhaps a less hilly place first time? Not as much fun, but...!

6. Tell him not to underestimate himself. My girlfriend did about 150 miles first tour, over the Moors - she had ridden about 30-40 miles since being a kid! She has a fair level of fitness, but does no sport or training at all.

yello

I'm just saying that teaming up with someone you happen not to get on with is a risk.

I know what you're saying. But, tb perfectly h, it's invariably me that's the awkward one! I'm a funny bugger and I know it! I obviously don't intend to be but I'm aware that my own preferences too frequently surface for me ever be called 'easy going'. For that reason, I do not mind being alone... rather than inflict myself on anyone! ;)

That's good news about your husband thistler. You'll have him coming around to touring yet!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My girlfriend does not cycle, but has come touring with me twice. First time B and B, and second time camping. She sometimes curses when she is pushing her bike up a long 16% after several hours riding, but...! I think the endorphins, the sense of achievement, and the beautiful scenery just make it enjoyable enough for her!

Sorry, I don't understand this statement. Cycling is the act of riding a bicycle, if she is riding a bicycle with you on a cycling tour, she is cycling... :wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Re: Caravan Club Campsites - very w*nky avoid!! Caravan Club Campsites are for caravanners funnily enough.

I gather from this forum (not having stayed on any myself) that there is an important difference between the Caravan Club, and the Camping and Caravanning Club - the latter being much better suited to campers (as you might expect from the name).

HJ, I assume Bandini means she doesn't generally cycle, but only on 'special occasions', like their tours.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
From the little research I've just done it appears the best route is to buy something more modern that has current components then? 700c wheels, etc...?

If the budget was around 500 would we be better off getting something brand new like the Revolution Country Traveler or finding a higher spec but fairly recent, say late 1990's and newer Galaxy etc. second hand? 

Bandini

Sorry, I don't understand this statement. Cycling is the act of riding a bicycle, if she is riding a bicycle with you on a cycling tour, she is cycling... :wacko:

Achem! Ok - she cycles when we go touring, and very occasionally comes out for a few miles. What I mean is: she is not a regular cyclist!

Top Bottom