Hybrid choices for a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simonbeak

Hi everyone,

I went on a bike with a friend who has a really nice hybrid and i am buying one through work. I really like the boardman but none in stock, and came across 2 other i options. I plan to use the bike for weekend rides along our country side and maybe the odd commute. We have a few hills around so assume i need a few gears.

Id love your opinions:

I like:
1. Giant Escape 3 Disc 2021 - Hybrid Sports
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-3-Disc-2021-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_229903.htm

2. Boardman HYB 8.6 2021 - Hybrid Sports
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Boardman-HYB-8-6-2021-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_228745.htm

3.Trek fx 2 disc
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...isc-mens-hybrid-bike-2021-in-alpine-blue__641

vickster

Legendary Member
Which can you actually get hold of in your size within a sensible timescale?
Spec wise they’ll all be much of a muchness at a given price point, although the Giant has more basic equipment (Tourney is bottom of the Shimano range) and the Boardman and Trek have hydraulic brakes.
Gears wise, for hills you don’t need lots, just the right ratios. They’ll all be fine on that basis

personally I’d choose the Trek based on the colour and has a triple with a decent range of gears

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
They're all good bikes, none of them are a poor choice. I've got the Giant Escape myself (albeit a non-disc braked version), it's lively and fun to ride, and I've got a (much) older Trek FX too. As Vickster said I'd see what's actually in stock in your size. If they're all available I like the Trek, that is a nice colour.

OP
OP
S

Simonbeak

Hi all, thanks for help. I need to buy the boardman from tredz for the cyclescheme and they have no update on when they are back in stock

Big John

Guru
Your choice, obviously, but even though I've got a Giant I'd give that one a miss. Quite a low spec compared to the other two. Both the Boardman and the Trek have got hydraulic disks and for me that gets a big thumbs up although mechanical disks aren't necessarily a bad thing. Providing you can get one in your size I don't think you'll go far wrong with either the Trek or the Boardman.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Out of just those three I would get the Trek, but personally my hybrids of choice are these - except you can't get them on C2W and you wont find them for sale brand new in a bike shop either. That ship sailed 25 years ago.....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Trek looks good and would be a good buy. The Boardman would appear to have a good spec but the stem/ bars are rather oddly one piece which means you’ll have no adjustment. You’ll have to accept some compromises at this price and one area where manufacturers cut corners are tyres. The Schwalbe Citizens on the Boardman are particularly poor, I had some and had to chuck them away I got so many punctures, but I’m guessing the OE on the others is similar.
Otherwise as said it’s a case of finding one that’s available.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
one area where manufacturers cut corners are tyres. The Schwalbe Citizens on the Boardman are particularly poor, I had some and had to chuck them away I got so many punctures, but I’m guessing the OE on the others is similar.

The Bontragers supplied as OE on the Trek are only 30 TPI ply weave. That's a pretty crude and cheap carcass construction and unlikely to be that supple. No idea what the puncture resistance is like but I wouldn't expect too much.
Even though not everyone likes the ride you get on Schwalbe Marathons, they have a 67 TPI casing which is much better than 30 TPI, and they are super durable. I only run cheapo tyres on my hack bikes that never venture more than 2 or 3 miles from home, the extra hassle from punctures isn't worth the cost saving on longer rides.

I'll second that.
I fail to understand why this is an issue for the op who is cycling for leisure.
@Simonbeak I'm assuming that cycling right now isn't such a big deal, so a short delay now in comparison to the usage you'll get out of the bike in the long term is probably not significant.

There are other things you might like to consider other than the ranking of the drivetrains.

For one, if your friend is mechanically minded, with similar bikes you might learn a lot from them about basic maintenance (and save yourself a lot of £ in the long run).

You mention commuting. Mudguards are strongly suggested, as are lights (or a lighting system such as a hub dynamo) and probably a decent rack.
A decent rack will make it easier to handle overnight (or longer!) trips. Or the shopping!

I'd always suggest to someone looking at a new bike to consider the costs of consumables (chains, brake components, cassettes etc.)

In any case, pretty much any bike will do what you want it to do. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that you're comfortable on the thing. You're much more likely to get out on a bike that is comfy!^_^

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

Simonbeak

I fail to understand why this is an issue for the op who is cycling for leisure.
@Simonbeak I'm assuming that cycling right now isn't such a big deal, so a short delay now in comparison to the usage you'll get out of the bike in the long term is probably not significant.

There are other things you might like to consider other than the ranking of the drivetrains.

For one, if your friend is mechanically minded, with similar bikes you might learn a lot from them about basic maintenance (and save yourself a lot of £ in the long run).

You mention commuting. Mudguards are strongly suggested, as are lights (or a lighting system such as a hub dynamo) and probably a decent rack.
A decent rack will make it easier to handle overnight (or longer!) trips. Or the shopping!

I'd always suggest to someone looking at a new bike to consider the costs of consumables (chains, brake components, cassettes etc.)

In any case, pretty much any bike will do what you want it to do. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that you're comfortable on the thing. You're much more likely to get out on a bike that is comfy!^_^

Good luck!

If people said to me the boardman is amazing and worth waiting for i probably would wait. But the trek seems to be the way to go plus just found it a little cheaper in grey with Evans 😀. Thanks for help

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't forget also that if you buy something that comes without mudguards and rack, but require them, then it adds to the overall expense. Same goes for replacing cheap tyres with robust ones. Manufacturers are leaving these things off to make the list prices look better value before you start totting up accessories.
Consumable parts costs matter a lot. Large cassettes with high tooth count sprockets on them are very expensive to replace. Narrow chains are expensive.
I buy the sort of bikes I do because they will do exactly the job I want them for whilst costing me peanuts to own & maintain. Most modern bikes embody engineering design I don't want to have to maintain in years to come.

Top Bottom