Hybrid decision...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J.R

Bordman Performance Hybrid Comp or Giant rapid 4?

I'm looking for my first bike to cycle for leisure and fitness around a 50 mile route per weekend. Local stockists choices are between these two bikes.

I understand halfords may not have the best staff however the boardman seems to get excellent reviews for spec. I dont really know that much about the giant other than a pals parent uses for fitness and rates them.

Help much appreciated!!!!!

Vidor06

Long term loafer
JR

Get out and test them both. Thats the best way to find out which is best for you. I assume the Giant is from McConvey's in Belfast. They will certainly let you test it and they also have 10% off their bikes at the minute.

p90ade

its a shame your in belfast as i might have a hybrid boardman comp for sale in the next week or two.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Vidor06 said:
JR

Get out and test them both. Thats the best way to find out which is best for you. I assume the Giant is from McConvey's in Belfast. They will certainly let you test it and they also have 10% off their bikes at the minute.

+1

The best way to find which is right for you is to test ride both bikes, at the end of the day you are the one who is going to be riding it. :becool:

TechMech

I bought my Hybrid Comp without riding it, and it did take a few adjustments to get it setup right. But I think it fits me well now, and after 1 year of ownership I've just done a rebuild on it. Take a look at my blog for more info if you like ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The big difference looking at the two bike is that the Giant rapid 4 is a triple and the Bordman is a double. It really depends on what sort of riding you are planning on doing JR, I am sure TechMech could enlighten you on the joys of riding your first hill with the limited gear range of a double chain ring... ;)

Then again TechMech has made incredible progress over the last year or so :smile:

TechMech

HJ said:
The big difference looking at the two bike is that the Giant rapid 4 is a triple and the Bordman is a double. It really depends on what sort of riding you are planning on doing JR, I am sure TechMech could enlighten you on the joys of riding your first hill with the limited gear range of a double chain ring... :rofl:

Then again TechMech has made incredible progress over the last year or so :rofl:

Yep HJ is right, the Boardman has a 50/34 double on the front with an 11/32 9 speed cassette as standard on the back, which makes for "interesting" hill climbs if you're unfit and just starting out. I swapped the 11/32 for an 11/34 and found the slightly different range of gears more to my liking.

If you are just starting out and you're a wee bit unfit, plus you like to cycle up hills rather than pounding up, then I would recommend you get a bike with a triple. Having said that, after a year of using the double I do feel much fitter, as when the hills come along there's no wimping out on to the granny ring :bicycle: and there's always walking if it really does become too much as HJ will testify :rofl:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Walking? I have seen it happen, but not tried it myself... :evil:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
J.R said:
Bordman Performance Hybrid Comp or Giant rapid 4?

I'm looking for my first bike to cycle for leisure and fitness around a 50 mile route per weekend. Local stockists choices are between these two bikes.

I understand halfords may not have the best staff however the boardman seems to get excellent reviews for spec. I dont really know that much about the giant other than a pals parent uses for fitness and rates them.

Help much appreciated!!!!!

Giant and Boardman are both respected makes.I have a triple chainring Trek Hybrid and can echo what has allready been said that if your not allready very fit and want to ride up hills then the granny ring really helps . I am a lot fitter now than when I started out (less than a year ago) but still occasionally end up on the granny ring and lowest gear combination.

Make sure that whatever you buy is the correct size for you.Do a google on bike size charts and dont just go along with what the guy in the shop says.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Banjo said:
Make sure that whatever you buy is the correct size for you.Do a google on bike size charts and dont just go along with what the guy in the shop says.

Better still, make sure you ride one of the right size before you buy, that way one will know if it is right for you.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
TechMech said:
Yep HJ is right, the Boardman has a 50/34 double on the front with an 11/32 9 speed cassette as standard on the back, which makes for "interesting" hill climbs if you're unfit and just starting out. I swapped the 11/32 for an 11/34 and found the slightly different range of gears more to my liking.

If you are just starting out and you're a wee bit unfit, plus you like to cycle up hills rather than pounding up, then I would recommend you get a bike with a triple. Having said that, after a year of using the double I do feel much fitter, as when the hills come along there's no wimping out on to the granny ring :biggrin: and there's always walking if it really does become too much as HJ will testify :evil:

well the low end seems ok, 34/32 is about 28 gear inches, 34/34 is 27, a triple doesn't take you that much lower than that. The silly bit is the 11t cog, a 12, or even 13t, smallest cog would make much more sense with that setup. By my reckoning a 50/11 is giving 120+ gear inches, not a gear that's going to see a lot of use:biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
HJ said:
Better still, make sure you ride one of the right size before you buy, that way one will know if it is right for you.

Thats very true HJ but usually a test ride tends to be quite short, possibly a badly fitting bike would feel ok on a 10 minute test.At least using a sizing guide will put you in the right ball park. then definitely go for test rides as long as possible to confirm.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Banjo said:
Thats very true HJ but usually a test ride tends to be quite short, possibly a badly fitting bike would feel ok on a 10 minute test.At least using a sizing guide will put you in the right ball park. then definitely go for test rides as long as possible to confirm.

Aye, true enough...

Top Bottom