Hybrid decision...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
MacB said:
well the low end seems ok, 34/32 is about 28 gear inches, 34/34 is 27, a triple doesn't take you that much lower than that. The silly bit is the 11t cog, a 12, or even 13t, smallest cog would make much more sense with that setup. By my reckoning a 50/11 is giving 120+ gear inches, not a gear that's going to see a lot of use;)
Bunch of Arse MacB.:smile: My 50/11 sees plenty of use on the way to work. It gives me a comfy cruising speed of about 30mph when I need to slow down for traffic....... and if I pedal so fast that I can't keep up with the pedals down the first hill, I can tuck and get up to 47mph. I was seriously looking to see if Truvativ do a 52 or a 54....:smile:

The six miles uphill on the way home sees a lot more of the 36t chainring. The last 20 percenter sees a grown man weeping trying to grind up the last few yards at 36/32. I'm seriously considering getting a 34 rear or a 34 front ring to give me a lower gear for the way home!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Oh, and by the way, the Boardman hybrid Comp and Team have 34, 50 front, the Pro, for whatever reason, has a 36,50. Without taking the p I'm seriously looking to triplise it. It's just a bit too hilly here. A 11-34 cassette may be a cheaper option though, I'll check it out.

TechMech

TechMech said:
Yep HJ is right, the Boardman has a 50/34 double on the front with an 11/32 9 speed cassette as standard on the back, which makes for "interesting" hill climbs if you're unfit and just starting out. I swapped the 11/32 for an 11/34 and found the slightly different range of gears more to my liking.

If you are just starting out and you're a wee bit unfit, plus you like to cycle up hills rather than pounding up, then I would recommend you get a bike with a triple. Having said that, after a year of using the double I do feel much fitter, as when the hills come along there's no wimping out on to the granny ring :smile: and there's always walking if it really does become too much as HJ will testify ;)

I've made a mistake there... the Boardman has a 50/36 up front

TechMech

Cubist said:
Oh, and by the way, the Boardman hybrid Comp and Team have 34, 50 front, the Pro, for whatever reason, has a 36,50. Without taking the p I'm seriously looking to triplise it. It's just a bit too hilly here. A 11-34 cassette may be a cheaper option though, I'll check it out.

That's what I did mate ;) I bought an SRAM PG980 11-34 from Ebay and found it suited me better.

CorsairC

Über Member
Banjo said:
Thats very true HJ but usually a test ride tends to be quite short, possibly a badly fitting bike would feel ok on a 10 minute test.At least using a sizing guide will put you in the right ball park. then definitely go for test rides as long as possible to confirm.

I've had my MTB for 16yrs, not riding it long distances at all. Only when I started commuting on it 2yrs 11k each way ago did I slowly start to realize its actually fractionally too big for me. No wonder I was confused looking at "large" hybrid frames when the bike shops were telling me I needed a Medium. Finally clicked this year. Doh springs to mind.

Crankarm

Guru
If you are planning using your bike at weekends for 50 mile routes I would get a road bike NOT a hybrid. You will be a lot more comfortable over this distance than a hybrid. I know I've got both. Over longer distances I much prefer drop bars which are much more comfortable plus in comparison a proper road bike is so much faster as a hybrid is really a mongrel bike - neither MTB nor proper road bike.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cubist said:
Bunch of Arse MacB.:laugh: My 50/11 sees plenty of use on the way to work. It gives me a comfy cruising speed of about 30mph when I need to slow down for traffic....... and if I pedal so fast that I can't keep up with the pedals down the first hill, I can tuck and get up to 47mph. I was seriously looking to see if Truvativ do a 52 or a 54....:ohmy:

The six miles uphill on the way home sees a lot more of the 36t chainring. The last 20 percenter sees a grown man weeping trying to grind up the last few yards at 36/32. I'm seriously considering getting a 34 rear or a 34 front ring to give me a lower gear for the way home!

Ah, arse to you, but the likes of me would be freewheeling:biggrin: Seriously though, if you think there's big useage of 120 inch gears then we reside in different worlds.

Crankarm

Guru
Cubist said:
Bunch of Arse MacB.:ohmy: My 50/11 sees plenty of use on the way to work. It gives me a comfy cruising speed of about 30mph when I need to slow down for traffic....... and if I pedal so fast that I can't keep up with the pedals down the first hill, I can tuck and get up to 47mph. I was seriously looking to see if Truvativ do a 52 or a 54....:biggrin:

MacB said:
Ah, arse to you, but the likes of me would be freewheeling:biggrin: Seriously though, if you think there's big useage of 120 inch gears then we reside in different worlds.

120" gears - don't push heavy gears - cadence should be an easy 90-100 revs increasing to what ever your max is. Typically most gears around 60-80" are the most useable IME. But depends on the terrain you cycle. I s'pose if you were always cycling down hill with a following wind then 120" would be your regular gear then ...............your name is .............. Chris Hoy and your legs are like tree trunks or you can push a big gear like Fabian Cancellara or Big Mig could :laugh:.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Crankarm said:
If you are planning using your bike at weekends for 50 mile routes I would get a road bike NOT a hybrid. You will be a lot more comfortable over this distance than a hybrid. I know I've got both. Over longer distances I much prefer drop bars which are much more comfortable plus in comparison a proper road bike is so much faster as a hybrid is really a mongrel bike - neither MTB nor proper road bike.

Not in my experience...

Cubist

Still wavin'
MacB said:
Trust me, it's only downhill that I ge to use that gear! The ride is 6 miles long with a total descent of 900 feet. I'll try spinning the 80 to 100 Crankers suggests and see what happens.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cubist said:
Trust me, it's only downhill that I ge to use that gear! The ride is 6 miles long with a total descent of 900 feet. I'll try spinning the 80 to 100 Crankers suggests and see what happens.

Well you could probably skip the pedalling, you just need the right kit. May I suggest a skinsuit, aerohelmet and tri bars? Not only could you save on the pedal power but you'd look really cool as well:biggrin:

Top Bottom