Hybrid or commuter bike for less than £180

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Veteran
Hi

I'm on a very tight budget and would like to get a new bike after having kept my KTM Sportivo running for years with bodges (does anyone know anything about KTM Sportivo? I found it in a ditch and have never seen another).

I now am quite tempted by a £170 Raleigh Oakland which looks nice and plain! http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?brand=8&id=345&pt=15

I only do 5 miles a week so quality of components is not an issue. Just wondered if Raleigh were any good or are there any other cheap bikes to consider?

many thanks.

It looks ok for the money, particularly with guards and a rack. Frankly, if you're only doing 5 miles a week (really?), it'll be more than adequate (although the saddle looks a bit suspect). Another option would be to look for secondhand; with new 2010 models coming in, bike shops will be taking in lots of p/exs. If you've got a LBS that sells s/hand, call in and have a chat.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
Thanks for the advice. I will look out for S/H but then things like adding tyres and brakes and chains to S/H stuff makes it seem like a good buy to go for the new Raleigh.

Top Bottom