Hybrids do we fit in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
Think it all boils down to the fact that the hybrid isn't classed as a proper bike which is what I'm trying to say
Some people will always make that distinction and it's not just confined to the bike.

I have SPD pedals on both of my road bikes (which are often regarded as MTB pedals) as apposed to SPD-SL.
I'm quite a large middle -aged bloke as apposed to a young thin racing snake.
I ride for enjoyment and so choose to ride in good weather and not all conditions.
I wear cloths that feel comfortable on a ride and are as cheap as possible rather than limited edition team replica kit.

All of the above would disqualify me from the "proper cyclists" club in some peoples judgement.
Am I bothered? - not one little bit.
Do I love my riding? - absolutely ^_^

snorri

Legendary Member
Think it all boils down to the fact that the hybrid isn't classed as a proper bike which is what I'm trying to say
A hybrid is just as "proper" as any other style of bicycle, just ignore anyone who insists different.:smile:

OP
OP
Ste pt1

Ste pt1

Some people will always make that distinction and it's not just confined to the bike.

I have SPD pedals on both of my road bikes (which are often regarded as MTB pedals) as apposed to SPD-SL.
I'm quite a large middle -aged bloke as apposed to a young thin racing snake.
I ride for enjoyment and so choose to ride in good weather and not all conditions.
I wear cloths that feel comfortable on a ride and are as cheap as possible rather than limited edition team replica kit.

All of the above would disqualify me from the "proper cyclists" club in some peoples judgement.
Am I bothered? - not one little bit.
Do I love my riding? - absolutely ^_^
Well I'm 41 on Friday weighed 15 stone before I took up cycling I now weigh 14 stone in under 3 months clothing wise I just wear combat pants very comfy night vision jacket
And the mandatory gloves and helmet no Lycra in sight lol

As it as been said before, it all boils down to the circumstances, where you are etc. Generalisation here but practically everyone regardless of what bike you/ they are on on a pleasant ride in the country says, hello but few commuting to work in a busy city on a misserable day do ;)

zizou

Veteran
I have no interest in riding around as if my arse were on fire tbh. Life's fast enough as it is for me, and I like to amble about the place and enjoy the scenery etc. When these twits whizz past within an inch of my handlebars, any anger is replaced by a kind of pity really. It must be a pretty shallow existence to have to get your kicks from buzzing fellow cyclists like that. (I have found they're not that keen on snot rockets btw :thumbsup:)

I doubt that is done for kicks - much more likely they are experienced with group riding as a part of a cycling club so when they pass they believe they are giving plenty of room rather than buzzing for fun.

Ciar

Veteran
my hybrid reminds me of the oldschool MTB with no suspension, i remember my first MTB a GT Tequesta back in the 90's loved that bike, did the london to southend on it... ooh the pain!

I also did the london to brighton on a Muddy Fox Courier borrowed from a mate which was amazing, much like my current hybrid really quick on road and easy to use offroad.

in all honesty hybrid bikes remind of something the music industry does to sell music, they invent a genre :smile:

Ben M

I wouldn't wave at someone on a hybrid, but I would wave back if one waved at me.

As a rule I wave at cyclists, rather than people travelling by bike. Someone on a hybrid will tend to fall into the latter group. I live in Oxford, so I'd spend all my time waving like a madman if I spent all my time waving at people on bikes. Equally, I don't wave at roadies when I am going somewhere on my hybrid.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I wouldn't wave at someone on a hybrid, but I would wave back if one waved at me.

As a rule I wave at cyclists, rather than people travelling by bike. Someone on a hybrid will tend to fall into the latter group. I live in Oxford, so I'd spend all my time waving like a madman if I spent all my time waving at people on bikes. Equally, I don't wave at roadies when I am going somewhere on my hybrid.
so whats your definition of a cyclist then??

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I don't discriminate. I ignore all types :hello:

Out of town weekend rides I generally give an acknowledgement of some kind. Maybe just a raised finger :angel: I'll do this to all types, even MTBers!

Reactions: 4F

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't discriminate. I ignore all types :hello:

And so you should, that way you can continue to consider them cyclists. If you communicate with them, then you risk finding out that they are actually a prick and indeed not a cyclist and that you should not have bothered acknowledging them as one of your own at all, what a waste that would be!!

Top Bottom