Hybrids do we fit in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste pt1

I'm finding out that having a hybrid bike(forme pt1)that we don't "fit in" with the bike scene my main use of the bike is 60% road and 40% light trails/parks etc so a hybrid was the way to go (might upset a few people here)but I get ignored by road cyclists is it because its a hybrid Vs road bike thing but when I cross paths with fellow hybrid users its a lot more friendly,also what catagory do we fit in on this forum are we under commuters or mountain bike( for advice etc)

Lee_M

Guru
no you don't fit in, go away you horrible person.^_^

Actually I find a lot of people ignore me regardless of what bike I'm on, road, fixie, hybrid
I just assume they're unsociable and move on

and I would say ask for advice on the appropriate category based on the particular question rather than the bike you own

D

Deleted member 23692

If you want to noticed by high horse road bike riders, simply wear replica team kit..... you'll soon become a talking point ;)

Some elements of the 'cycling community' have become slightly tribal (but only slightly) in recent years. Those of us above a certain age just see bicycles and cyclists.

Many of us nod, wave and smile at other cyclists, whatever machine they are on.

Of course, this inclusive and welcoming approach excludes recumbent cycles, which are just silly and pointless.

It also excludes small-wheeled folding bicycles, which are just silly.

But it includes hybrids.... Actually, let me just check the list.

Oh, sorry. It excludes hybrids, too.

Carry on.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have a hybrid. I think it's what was called in the olden days a bike. I don't worry about definitions too much. It's all quite a grey area anyway with a lot of crossover. In the end it's fairly meaningless in anything other than a very broad sense. If you define your bike as such and such then it could possibly give whoever you are talking to some idea of the size and weight of your bike and the general sort of conditions under which it is used but it doesn't matter. In my definitive opinion.

Ciar

Veteran
Personal preferance is all that matters, i ride a CX hybrid, love it but i am about to purchase an MTB because i enjoy riding off road and want to keep the two bikes seperate and not damage my commuter bike.

I ride a bike to keep fit and the enjoyment i get out of it, not to fit into some clique or scene, as for my hybrid i term it more under MTB as it looks more that style and it has knobbly bits on the tyres ;-)

all that matters mate, is that you enjoy yourself..

If you were on a hybrid up here you'd be acknowledged, I was when I had one. Some people are just ignorant - and I mean that across the full spectrum of cyclists (road, MTB, hybrid, recumbent etc..). Others are just miserable - now where's that list of CC'ers to avoid!! :whistle:

OP
OP
Ste pt1

Ste pt1

I hadn't been on a bike for over 20 years and when I started back up 2 months ago,the months before when I was looking at bikes even when talking to people who had even the slightest more knowledge than me were saying you don't want a hybrid either get a road or mb I just get the feeling hybrids are the bar steward of bikes lol even magazines don't cover them

Peteaud

Veteran
I hadn't been on a bike for over 20 years and when I started back up 2 months ago,the months before when I was looking at bikes even when talking to people who had even the slightest more knowledge than me were saying you don't want a hybrid either get a road or mb I just get the feeling hybrids are the bar steward of bikes lol even magazines don't cover them

Mags have covered them, but the main 2 markets are road and mountain, so most fall into one of those.

Its the same with cx, folders, etc, you will see them but again they are not the main.

OP
OP
Ste pt1

Ste pt1

I doubt ill keep up with the roadies but my average speed 2 months ago was hitting 14-15 kmp now I'm hitting a groundbreaking. 19 kph so not to bad 2 months in funny thing yesterday I went past a mobile speed trap slightly down hill and hit 27 mph and got a smiley face on the screen lol

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Some of the cheeriest hello's I've ever had have been from roadies when on a hybrid, however a lot of them ignore you. I suspect they'd ignore you on a road bike as well- there are strange ones in all walks of life and cycling is no different.
I always say hello just in case!

Top Bottom