Hybrids do we fit in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ste pt1

Ste pt1

I wouldn't expect someone to stop and chat on the road but I suppose I should have said when roadies are stationary and I'm riding past I've said morning/ afternoon etc and you get nothing returned

Getting on a bike and riding it instead of making pointless short trips in the car is the main thing... Don't worry about what type of bike it is just rejoice that you are (or will be if you have just started commuting) fitter than most car drivers and not stuck in traffic most of the time. Burton has been clogged up with road works and I have loved sailing past the queues of traffic.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Some of the cheeriest hello's I've ever had have been from roadies when on a hybrid, however a lot of them ignore you. I suspect they'd ignore you on a road bike as well- there are strange ones in all walks of life and cycling is no different.
I always say hello just in case!

You sure do, you get lots of wierdo's who crave validation by strangers saying hi and waving!

snorri

Legendary Member
I hadn't been on a bike for over 20 years......even when talking to people who had even the slightest more knowledge than me were saying you don't want a hybrid either get a road or mb I just get the feeling hybrids are the bar steward of bikes lol even magazines don't cover them
It is not uncommon, sadly, for "advisers" to promote their own sector of cycling, this happens everywhere, at work, in the pub, in cycle shops and even on cycling forums.
Best to take advice from someone who asks you lots of questions regarding your proposed use of the new bike.
Of my three bikes, it's the hybrid that is most frequently used, although the tourer does the higher annual mileage.

GrasB

Veteran
You sure do, you get lots of wierdo's who crave validation by strangers saying hi and waving!
Exactly.. if you need validation for your life choices then book a few a few appointments with psychiatrists. I don't wave to other Alfa, Lotus or Fiat driver when I see them or every ped when I'm walking down the street.

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
Ste pt1

Ste pt1

Exactly.. if you need validation for your life choices then book a few a few appointments with psychiatrists. I don't wave to other Alfa, Lotus or Fiat driver when I see them or every ped when I'm walking down the street.

I was always flashing at other fiat coupe drivers ( that's when I saw one on the road)

Gary E

Veteran
A couple of years ago, whilst riding my hybrid I was un-ceremonially scalped by 3 roadies on their carbon 'proper bikes'. The pass was very close by all 3 of them despite there being lots of space.
Despite me nodding and cheerily wishing them a good morning I didn't get as much as a glance back.
Imagine my utter joy then, when a few miles further on I came across them on the side of the road, one of them having suffered a puncture. I stopped and was even more joyous when I learned that between the 3 of them they didn't possess anything to sort out the problem.
One of them (almost dismissively) pointed out that we had different tyre sizes and so I wouldn't be able to help them.
At which point I produced a patch and pointed out that they were one-size-fits-all :laugh:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A couple of years ago, whilst riding my hybrid I was un-ceremonially scalped by 3 roadies on their carbon 'proper bikes'. The pass was very close by all 3 of them despite there being lots of space.

Yes why do they do that? All a bit pathetic really- all the gear and no idea! I normally laugh at them to be honest.

Gary E

Veteran
Yes why do they do that? All a bit pathetic really- all the gear and no idea! I normally laugh at them to be honest.
When I overtake (admittedly not that often) I always give as much room as I can to avoid startling the rider.
Imagine the result if, after the close pass of the first rider, I'd been panicked and steered further into the road. Straight into the path of riders 2 and 3 :laugh:
Bet my chunky old hybrid would have survived a lot better than their carbon dream machines too :laugh:
Before I get accosted by roadies - let me just say that I have a MTB, a hybrid and 2 'proper bikes' and that this sort of behavior is silly regardless of the bike you're on ^_^

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I was always flashing at other fiat coupe drivers ( that's when I saw one on the road)
The problem is I was brought up in a VW camper who would always wave/ acknowledge one another, we then sold that and bought an original mini who also have a waving acknowledging culture, I guess I have carried that on onto the bike!

Gary E

Veteran
I prefer to think of it, not in terms of someone's manners, but more their state of mind at the time. If you're happy and you're enjoying your ride you naturally wave back and pass the time of day. If you're not enjoying your ride and struggling with the pace you're less inclined to want to be sociable.
So next time someone ignores you don't think "what a miserable xxxxx", instead you should pity them and think "poor bloke, he's obviously not enjoying his riding as much as me" ^_^

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Bet my chunky old hybrid would have survived a lot better than their carbon dream machines too :laugh:
Before I get accosted by roadies - let me just say that I have a MTB, a hybrid and 2 'proper bikes' and that this sort of behavior is silly regardless of the bike you're on ^_^

I have no interest in riding around as if my arse were on fire tbh. Life's fast enough as it is for me, and I like to amble about the place and enjoy the scenery etc. When these twits whizz past within an inch of my handlebars, any anger is replaced by a kind of pity really. It must be a pretty shallow existence to have to get your kicks from buzzing fellow cyclists like that. (I have found they're not that keen on snot rockets btw :thumbsup:)

OP
OP
Ste pt1

Ste pt1

Think it all boils down to the fact that the hybrid isn't classed as a proper bike which is what I'm trying to say

Top Bottom