Hyde park at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So my partner has moved to London, and I need a way of getting myself and my bike from Paddington Train Station to South Kensington at 01:00 in the morning.

Its seems like it would be just a short blast across Hyde park and i'm there - but is this possible, and if so, safe?

I was planning on following the road which is usually open to traffic during the day.

Any help appreciated - im going tomorrow!

,Simon

According to this its closed after midnight

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
There is a cycle path through the park next to park lane.. but traffic at that time of night will be next to none so riding on the road wouldn't be to much of a problem.

Norm

Riding round town at that time is, IMO, a magical experience. Hope you love it.

I can't remember whether or not you can ride through at that time but the run up to Marble Arch and down Park Lane is not a long one.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Hyde Park is closed, but as others have said, riding in London is wonderful at that time of night. Enjoy the ride. :-)

skrx

The road through the middle (West Carriage Drive, takes you onto Exhibition Road) will probably be open. There is a cycle lane on the pavement which is worth using, as you avoid all the road humps.

Tynan

Veteran
and wrap un warm

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I've been through the park near midnight from Paddington and wouldn't recommend it. Dodgy people and bad lighting make it a bit hairy. There are a few ways to get round an going via the Shepherd's Bush roundabout down to Kensington would be ok at that time I reckon.

Cycling in central London can be good fun if you research the route and I've done it at night a few times getting home from rehearsals and doing FNRttCs.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
ian turner said:
According to this its closed after midnight

Hyde Park is closed technically, but not actually locked off at night so you can almost always go through. Kensington Gardens, however, is shut and the gates locked. I believe the road through the park, north/south, that joins onto Exhibition Road, is left open.

trj977

Über Member
Depending on whereabouts in South Ken may be just as easy to ride down to top of Notinghill Gate and down Church St to High St Ken. Then on to South Ken via a number of alternatives. Downhill until you hit High St Ken.

yello

trj977 said:
Depending on whereabouts in South Ken may be just as easy to ride down to top of Notinghill Gate and down Church St to High St Ken. Then on to South Ken via a number of alternatives. Downhill until you hit High St Ken.

I though that then considered maybe the Carriage Drive/Exhibition Rd route was probably going to be the best bet. It's a wee bit of a climb from Paddington to Nottinghill Gate (by central London standards that is!)

Top Bottom