I am confused about range on electric bikes and is it honest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
And they allow that size battery onboard the plane???
Sorry thought I had replied to this.

I flew Easyjet and my reading of the following web page

Easyjet Dangerous Goods

Came up with this

Mobility aids (e.g. wheelchairs) powered by lithium ion batteries, for use by passengers whose mobility is restricted by either a disability, their health or age, or a temporary mobility problem (e.g. broken leg).

1. Snip
2. Snip

3. Where the mobility aid is specifically designed to allow its battery(ies) to be removed by the user (e.g. collapsible):
a. The battery(ies) must be removed and carried in the passenger cabin;
b. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit (by insulating the terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals);
c. The battery must be protected from damage (e.g. by placing each battery in a protective pouch);
d. Removal of the battery from the mobility aid must be performed by following the instructions of the manufacturer or device owner;
e. The battery must not exceed 300 Wh; and
f. A maximum of one spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spares not exceeding 160 Wh each may be carried.

4. The pilot-in-command must be informed of the location of the lithium ion battery(ies);
5. It is recommended that passengers make advance arrangements with each operator.

I took this to mean I could carry my Fazua battery (252Wh) in the down tube cover in hand luggage without issue.

All well and good, but if, as you say, you only use the motor on the hills then large portions of your mileage will be without the motor, which makes the quoted mileage a bit questionable.

If I only use the motor on the hills i can get 200+ miles out of mine, but in no way does that means it has 200+ miles of assisted range. That'd be like claiming your torch has this wonderful battery that lasts 10 years because you never use it.
:laugh:

My use case for the motor is Vertical gain not distance. I think I could get 1500m+ of gain (on anything over 6%). Which owing to my weight :mrpig: is a best use for my electrical power.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sorry thought I had replied to this.

I flew Easyjet and my reading of the following web page

Easyjet Dangerous Goods

Came up with this

Mobility aids (e.g. wheelchairs) powered by lithium ion batteries, for use by passengers whose mobility is restricted by either a disability, their health or age, or a temporary mobility problem (e.g. broken leg).

1. Snip
2. Snip

3. Where the mobility aid is specifically designed to allow its battery(ies) to be removed by the user (e.g. collapsible):
a. The battery(ies) must be removed and carried in the passenger cabin;
b. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit (by insulating the terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals);
c. The battery must be protected from damage (e.g. by placing each battery in a protective pouch);
d. Removal of the battery from the mobility aid must be performed by following the instructions of the manufacturer or device owner;
e. The battery must not exceed 300 Wh; and
f. A maximum of one spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spares not exceeding 160 Wh each may be carried.

4. The pilot-in-command must be informed of the location of the lithium ion battery(ies);
5. It is recommended that passengers make advance arrangements with each operator.

I took this to mean I could carry my Fazua battery (252Wh) in the down tube cover in hand luggage without issue.

:laugh:

My use case for the motor is Vertical gain not distance. I think I could get 1500m+ of gain (on anything over 6%). Which owing to my weight :mrpig: is a best use for my electrical power.
That’s good, I forgot the fazua was a smaller battery

just an addition to the range discussion

Over the summer I started on a new route - about 20 miles total - sometimes more if I take the long way home
I could easily do the route twice with charge left over to spare

today I went out on half charge after having done the route (19 miles - must have cut a few corners???)

by the time I got near home the battery ran out of electric - on 20 miles

only differences where
a) temperature in ride - it was charged inside so 20 odd degrees C
b) it was left for a few days in between the 2 rides - normally I went out every day in the summer

I am assuming that the range will increase again when it warms up in spring

hope so - Bosch batteries are damn expensive

CXRAndy

Guru
Batteries aren't linear in their storage. Added to that, colder weather will run down faster. Time your charging to get to around 90% just before you leave and that will give you the best available range. The cells will be warm from charging and will hold some of the heat due to usage

RichardB

Slightly retro
Batteries aren't linear in their storage.

Very true. My charger has two settings - 42V for a normal charge, and 37V for a periodic maintenance charge if the bike is out of use. I once mistakenly charged it at 37V before a journey to work. The commute was a 27-mile round trip, and normally I could easily do it on one charge with 2 out of 4 lights remaining at the end, i.e. half discharged approximately. From this, I would guesstimate a total range of about 50 miles, give or take. On this day, I made it as far as the final hill about a mile from home (a short 12%er) and it died. That was a range of about 26 miles - around half the total range, just by charging at about 12% lower voltage. Someone on the Pedelecs forum* exlained it in terms of the area under a graph or something similar which made sense at the time. But yes, batteries are not linear.

* recommended if you haven't been there

Edit: here's the Pedelecs post: https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/battery-39v-vs-42v.21153/post-265771

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
I normally get 60 miles+ range out of my Fauza for the commute to work. Last few days, 20mph headwind all the way into work, means I'm seeing 30-40% battery usage in just 6 miles!!! Equating to a total range of sub 30 miles.

It appears just like my other EV, wind direction has a massive impact on range!!

But boy am I glad I have an eBike, on a normal bike I would have arrived into work sweating and smelling like the England first XV!!

50616607977_bee0bb3cd5_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom