I am confused about range on electric bikes and is it honest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I vaguely recall reading something about some ebikes having motors that ‘disconnect’ at speeds over 15.5mph, which suggests that some don’t. Not an expert, so can’t add anything else I’m afraid.
In the Eu - and UK - the motor cut off speed is 15.5 mpg (it makes sence in kph) - so at that point the motor assist stops - and it is supposed to gradually wind down up to that point

Which is probably what you have heard about

Clearly it is possible to get hold of ebikes that have more powerful motors and a higher cut-off - but these are illegal on public road, tracks paths etc - and 'some people' modify their bike to increase the cut-off speed

Mike_P

Guru
Once its reached 15.5 whilst the motor stops assisting the weight of an ebike gives it a fair amount of momentum. The one thing that often tricks me is coming off a steep descent, where the ebike under its own weight had reached 25+ mph, only to go back up is judging what gear is appropriate for when the motor kicks back in some distance up the climb without spinning madly before it does.
In terms of battery life its often recommended not to fully charge nor not to fully discharge a battery which obviously effects range. Mine had dropped enough for the amber warning light to come on the control unit on Monday and I charged it up until four bars were solid and the fifth flashing on the battery's own indicator although when fitted back on the bike all five LEDs on the control unit lit. It's now done 30.9 miles with 2155ft of ascent and is showing two LEDs.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I vaguely recall reading something about some ebikes having motors that ‘disconnect’ at speeds over 15.5mph, which suggests that some don’t. Not an expert, so can’t add anything else I’m afraid.

Mine is totally legal, i.e. it cuts out at 25 kph/15.5 mph. You can hear the motor cutting back as you go over 15 mph, and it's totally silent by 16 mph. It's just a nice, free-running bike with truly MASSIVE inertia once it's moving :wacko:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
In the Eu - and UK - the motor cut off speed is 15.5 mpg (it makes sence in kph) - so at that point the motor assist stops - and it is supposed to gradually wind down up to that point
never read anywhere where it states this.......all i have read is that it can assist upto 15.5mph

RichardB

Slightly retro
never read anywhere where it states this.......all i have read is that it can assist upto 15.5mph

I think you're right. You can hear the motor on mine start to quieten at 15 mph and it's silent by 16 mph, so any cut-off of power is fairly quick but not sudden.

Drago

Legendary Member
Strange, that. Once I get the Wisper over 16 mph it absolutely flies. I find it as easy to keep up 16-17 mph on the flat as I do on any other bike. It doesn't feel like there is any resistance at all - apart from the massive weight, it rides like a decent bike.
Same with my relatively mumdane Subway E. Its a weighty old lump but rolls very nively, so even with the motor off entirely its no chore. The combination of grip, steering and stability aces any one my conventional bikes and makes normally reckless twisty decents feel delightfully assured.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
My Cube Agree Hybrid runs the Fazua system. In standard form with, bottle cages, Cycliq lights front and back, Garmin Radar and head unit (1030), in size 56cm it weighed 15kg (checked when flying back from Spain). I have a recollection of it having a saddle bag on there as well, but I can't be sure.
I think you're right. You can hear the motor on mine start to quieten at 15 mph and it's silent by 16 mph, so any cut-off of power is fairly quick but not sudden.
Mine assists up to 25khm/15mph at which point there is a soft-ish cut off. It's not instant gone, at least to me, it's more of a roll off, all be it quite quickly over 2 to 3 seconds. The reverse happens when you fall below the limit. Although heavy by today's standards with regards to road bikes it does not feel dull without the assist running on 32mm tyres.

I currently weigh in at a small, for me, about 125kg (slowly getting smaller). Over the weight limit for the bike and wheels no doubt :sad:. But this is to show you how the bike runs for me.

I did a 75km ride with just shy of 1000m of climbing and arrived home with 40% battery. I try to only use the motor on hills I can't ride up. On the flat and upto about 6% I rarely use the assistance. I can carry a speed of >25kmh/15mph for a fair way on the flatter roads but once it starts to go up, even only 2%, that speed drops off. I can't recall exactly how much I used the motor but I only really had maybe 5-10km of road with sections higher than 6% and I only used the lowest power level I could get away with assist.

I want to get fitter and lose weight, it seems to be working :angel:, I set a PR on a 2km hill at the start of my ride without assist (the previous best was with assist :ohmy:). So generally the way I use the motor is no assist for as long as I can get away with, then the lowest level I can get away with, :whistle:. It doesn't make me much quicker, but it does mean I can ride for longer.

Whatever system you go for find the way it works best for you and make the most use of it, Oh and enjoy the zip along feeling :laugh:

jowwy

My Cube Agree Hybrid runs the Fazua system. In standard form with, bottle cages, Cycliq lights front and back, Garmin Radar and head unit (1030), in size 56cm it weighed 15kg (checked when flying back from Spain). I have a recollection of it having a saddle bag on there as well, but I can't be sure.

Mine assists up to 25khm/15mph at which point there is a soft-ish cut off. It's not instant gone, at least to me, it's more of a roll off, all be it quite quickly over 2 to 3 seconds. The reverse happens when you fall below the limit. Although heavy by today's standards with regards to road bikes it does not feel dull without the assist running on 32mm tyres.

I currently weigh in at a small, for me, about 125kg (slowly getting smaller). Over the weight limit for the bike and wheels no doubt :sad:. But this is to show you how the bike runs for me.

I did a 75km ride with just shy of 1000m of climbing and arrived home with 40% battery. I try to only use the motor on hills I can't ride up. On the flat and upto about 6% I rarely use the assistance. I can carry a speed of >25kmh/15mph for a fair way on the flatter roads but once it starts to go up, even only 2%, that speed drops off. I can't recall exactly how much I used the motor but I only really had maybe 5-10km of road with sections higher than 6% and I only used the lowest power level I could get away with assist.

I want to get fitter and lose weight, it seems to be working :angel:, I set a PR on a 2km hill at the start of my ride without assist (the previous best was with assist :ohmy:). So generally the way I use the motor is no assist for as long as I can get away with, then the lowest level I can get away with, :whistle:. It doesn't make me much quicker, but it does mean I can ride for longer.

Whatever system you go for find the way it works best for you and make the most use of it, Oh and enjoy the zip along feeling :laugh:
How did you get the bike too and from Spain???

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
How did you get the bike too and from Spain???
Easyjet in a Swift Carbon soft bike bag. The bags not cheap but it is well padded and comes with pad wraps for each tube, it only weighs about 5kg as well. I also made up 2 spacers to act as outers for the thru axels to keep the the forks and chainstays apart. More for my own sanity than any actual benefit I suspect :laugh:

Last edited:

jowwy

Easyjet in a Swift Carbon soft bike bag. The bags not cheap but it is well padded and comes with pad wraps for each tube, it only weighs about 5kg as well. I also made up 2 spacers to act as outers for the thru axels to keep the the forks and chainstays apart. More for my own sanity than any actual benefit I suspect :laugh:
And they allow that size battery onboard the plane???

Stul

Veteran
I enjoyed playing with this to see what kind of range you can expect under varied conditions.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/

I used this and it was bang on! When I got my Raleigh Centros the advertised range is 125 miles, but I accepted I was never going to get that, however a few months in and I am averaging around 90 miles range from a full charge.

Again very dependent on hills/wind/weight etc. For most of my cycling (probably 95+%), I use "eco" mode and only use the higher settings for the steep hills.

One thing I find a complete waste of time is the "range" indication on the Bosch display. I went out for a ride the other day with a full battery (showing 95 mile range), and after 10miles it had dropped to 50 miles, at the end of the ride (about 25 miles), it was back up to 90 miles? I would rather just have a "percentage" left...(I know each of the 5 "bars" gives a range of between 16 and 24 miles).

RichardB

Slightly retro
It's estimating your remaining range, based on your current power use and the remaining battery charge. So you go low power for a while, your apparent range increases. Many cars now do the same thing, based on current mpg and fuel remaining. Quite helpful in a car, but on a bike it's a case of the software being too clever for its own good. As you say, you want to know whether you will get home on what's left, not how far you might theoretically travel if x, y and z were to happen.

Top Bottom