I am Re-Thinking about Clipless Pedals for Bicycle Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RollingNoMad

I am Re-Thinking about Clipless Pedals for Bicycle Touring

Feedback is helpful and Appreciated

I have tried the Shimano M545 DH Platform Clipless SPD Pedals
has Pop-Up Binding Pivoting pedal cage allows SPD binding to "pop up" for easy cleat entry. Removable Cage Design Pedal can be used with or without removable light alloy pedal cage.
and I really Did not Like the Shimano M545 DH Platform Clipless SPD Pedals. and I have used
Shimano M540 Clipless SPD MTB Pedals no foot support and I have tried the Crank Brothers Mallet DH Pedals 2018 and I Had a hard time to clipping the Crank Brothers Mallet DH Pedals 2018 and I have been using the Sun Ringle zuzu DH Platform Pedals since 11-2008 with

Gore-Tex Hiking Boot/Shoes. and I just found out about the Nukeproof Horizon CL Clipless DH Platform Pedals last few days on Google/YouTube. and I have looked at the Funn Mamba Two Side Clip MTB Pedals the last few days also but I really like the Nukeproof Horizon CL Clipless DH Platform Pedals is SPD compatible, Dual Engagement Mechanism, Side Support Platform, Cold forged T1- 6061 alloy body with CNC finishing,Tough and lightweight CrMo axle, Proven axle system- 2 x high quality DU bushings & 4 x sealed cartridge bearings (Per Pair) and Low profile contoured chassis with optimised leading edge. and since I like using using Gore-Tex Hiking/Shoes and I really like the idea of the Shimano SH-XM7 Cross Mountain Shoes are Clipless SPD Shoes and they have Gore-Tex waterproof/breathable membrane/synthetic MSRP: 200.00 USD

Nukeproof Horizon CL Clipless DH Platform Pedals
MSRP: $147.99USD and $79.99USD at Chain reaction cycles with free Shipping to the USA to
Riverside, California and I am might order the Nukeproof Horizon CL Clipless DH Platform Pedals on 6-3-2018
http://nukeproof.com/products/horizon-cl-pedal/

View: https://youtu.be/rFeDnZDvK2w

View: https://youtu.be/H5joEIGJXf4

Horizon-_-CL-_-top.jpg

Horizon-_-CL-_-sideblue34-1270x846.jpg

And I am just trying to ask a question about SPD Clipless Pedals before I order from Chain reaction cycles from United States of America. And It would cost a lot of money to Ship back to Chain reaction cycles. And With all the Clipless SPD Pedals that I have mentioned that I had a Hard time using the Clipless SPD Pedals when Fully Loaded Touring Bicycle and Walking around when I could not able to get up a hill with my Surly LHT 26 52 cm 2008 Touring Bicycle and To me that I am Living on a Fixed income. And some of the Clipless SPD Shoes was to big for my feet. And Maybe that I am so use to using DH/BMX Platform Flat Pedals for my Bicycle Touring Trips and Stealth Bicycle Camping Trips in California, Oregon and Arizona USA. and
I am also looking at the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals from chain reaction cycles but $167.49USD to the USA in Riverside, CA and I will look on Amazon for Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals to see if is cheaper it is $110.00+Free Shipping and I really Like the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedal is Cleat: Funn PD-13-CL or SPD compatible
600x600-106075_15069533860305.jpg

FNPDMN5MC1M_large.jpg

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is it just me or does this sound like a list of spam product mentions purely to generate Google hits???

Not quite sure how it would work but I just couldn't read the post in any sane way and there is no obvious point made or question asked...... :wacko:

OP
OP
RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad

Is it just me or does this sound like a list of spam product mentions purely to generate Google hits???

Not quite sure how it would work but I just couldn't read the post in any sane way and there is no obvious point made or question asked...... :wacko:
FYI: My Post is not Spam!

FYI: I have a Learning Disability and I don't know how to put words together and It seams that you can't read!

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Give some consideration to a pair of Shimano A530 pedals. Cleats on one side, if you want to wear cleats. Flat surface on the other side for 'normal' footwear.

I would suggest that if you're having issues with numerous SPD pedals/shoes, that perhaps you would be better off avoiding them altogether. Stick with whatever you find most comfortable.

Katherine

Guru

The op has edited their post to make it a bit clearer.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
In my opinion, combining DH platform pedals with SPD-style cleat mechanisms doesn't work very well, and I wouldn't expect that the Nukeproof Horizon pedals will be any more satisfactory than the Shimano M545 or Crank Bros Mallet pedals that you've already tried.

The problems are that the clip mechanism makes a lump in the middle of the platform that interferes with any non-SPD shoe or boot you may wish to use, and that the grip studs make it difficult to slide the shoe across the pedal in order to locate the cleat in the clip mechanism, so engaging the cleats is not so easy.

If you want to try clipless again, I'd (also) suggest a dual sided clip/platform pedal, with a platform one side and a clip mechanism the other side.
I use the Shimano PD-T780, the current version of which is the PD-T8000.
The pedal body is weighted so that it hangs with clip side to the rear, and engagement is almost as easy as it is with double-side clipless like the M540.

Having said that, if you are used to platform pedals, you may not find that clipless gives all that much improvement.
They stop the foot being bounced off the pedal if you hit an unexpected pothole, and you can pull on the upward moving pedal, which is only really viable at a slow RPM, usually as an alternative to shifting down a gear or two.

OP
OP
RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad

Give some consideration to a pair of Shimano A530 pedals. Cleats on one side, if you want to wear cleats. Flat surface on the other side for 'normal' footwear.

I would suggest that if you're having issues with numerous SPD pedals/shoes, that perhaps you would be better off avoiding them altogether. Stick with whatever you find most comfortable.
Thanks and I am also looking at the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals from chain reaction cycles but $167.49USD to the USA in Riverside, CA and I will look on Amazon for Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals to see if is cheaper it is $110.00+Free Shipping and I really Like the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedal is Cleat: Funn PD-13-CL or SPD compatible
600x600-106075_15069533860305.jpg

FNPDMN5MC1M_large.jpg

adamhearn

Veteran
Would it not be an option to obtain some second hand pedals from Craigslist or similar? Importing products that you're not sure of doesn't seem like the best idea.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plus, while SPDs are popular, they're not the only pedals out there.
If you don't get on with SPDs, there's no need to use them.
Cycling is supposed to be fun, after all.

OP
OP
RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad

I really like the idea of the Crank Brothers Mallet Enduro LS Pedals 2018 vs Crank Brothers Mallet Enduro Pedals 2018

I found the Crank Brother's Mallet Enduro LS Platform Pedals is $103.36+California Tax $8.04= $111.08 at Bike Bling Bike Shop in Escondido CA. And Free Shipping or Store Pick up in Escondido, CA

Spindle Mallet E LS 57mm to Mallet E 52mm

The ultimate pedal for enduro riding and racing, now with a longer spindle

Q-factor 57mm for increased shoe clearance and control
Concave platform-clipless pedal designed for enduro riding and racing
12% smaller and 60g lighter than Mallet DH
All new internals: outboard Enduro bearing, inboard igus II glide bearing and double seal system
Integrated traction pad technology to optimize cleat engagement and shoe tread interface with pedal body
Ribbed body for better traction when unclipped
Chamfered leading edges to reduce rock-strikes
6 adjustable pins per side
Aluminum body, Chromoly spindle and Cast Steel wings
4-sided entry and excellent mud-shedding ability
Brass cleats and plastic shims included
Fully rebuildable and simple to maintain
Release angle 15° / 20°
The left pedal is indicated by a small grooved line around the threads of the spindle
5 year manufacturer's warranty
Weight: 424g.

Yes I have used the Crank Brother's Mallet DH Platform Pedals when I got my Surly LHT 26 52 cm 2008 on 11-2008 and I was going back and forth with the Sun Ringle zuzu DH platform Pedals and I have lost my Crank Brother's Mallet DH Platform Pedals in a Pawn shop in San Diego, CA in 2009 when I had legal problems with my social security disability income and lt is a long Story about my had legal problems problems in Tampa, FL
224201.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I really don'y like Shimano SPD pedals of any type

This makes me think that clipless pedals are not for you.

But that's OK - there's no rule that says you must use clipless pedals. It doesn't make you a 'proper' cyclist.

If you can find someone who will lend you a set of different pedals to try, it's worth it to see if you get on better with different systems. Otherwise, you risk wasting your money, and it doesn't sound like you can afford to do that.

I would suggest sticking with platform pedals for now.

OP
OP
RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad

This makes me think that clipless pedals are not for you.

But that's OK - there's no rule that says you must use clipless pedals. It doesn't make you a 'proper' cyclist.

If you can find someone who will lend you a set of different pedals to try, it's worth it to see if you get on better with different systems. Otherwise, you risk wasting your money, and it doesn't sound like you can afford to do that.

I would suggest sticking with platform pedals for now.
I am trying to get away from my Sun Ringle zuzu DH platform pedal and wearing Hiking boots. and The reason I don't Like about Shimano SPD Clipless Pedals is your need to buy Special Tool to repair Shimano Pedals! dual spring adjustment! and FYI: I can afford to buy Clipless Pedals but not Outside of the USA! and like the Nukeproof Horizon CL Clipless DH Platform Pedals MSRP: $147.99USD and $79.99USD at Chain reaction cycles with free Shipping to the USA to Riverside, California. and I would have a BofA Bank fee $5.00 and Nukeproof Horizon CL Clipless DH Platform Pedals is not sold in the USA That Is why I have posted this Post! and No One have said try to look in the USA! and then I found the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals from chain reaction cycles but $167.49USD to the USA in Riverside, CA and I will look on Amazon for Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals to see if is cheaper it is $110.00+Free Shipping and I really Like the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedal is Cleat: Funn PD-13-CL or SPD compatible and I am just trying to ask a question about SPD Clipless Pedals before I order from Chain reaction cycles from United States of America. And It would cost a lot of money to Ship back to Chain reaction cycles. And With all the Clipless SPD Pedals that I have mentioned that I had a Hard time using the Clipless SPD Pedals when Fully Loaded Touring Bicycle and Walking around when I could not able to get up a hill with my Surly LHT 26 52 cm 2008 Touring Bicycle and To me that I am Living on a Fixed income. And some of the Clipless SPD Shoes was to big for my feet. And Maybe that I am so use to using DH/BMX Platform Flat Pedals for my Bicycle Touring Trips and Stealth Bicycle Camping Trips in California, Oregon and Arizona USA. and I am also looking at the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals from chain reaction cycles but $167.49USD to the USA in Riverside, CA and " I have found on Amazon for Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedals to see if is cheaper it is $110.00+Free Shipping and I really Like the Funn Mamba One Side Clip MTB Pedal is Cleat: Funn PD-13-CL or SPD compatible."
funnspd.jpeg

I really like the idea of the Crank Brothers Mallet Enduro LS Pedals 2018 vs Crank Brothers Mallet Enduro Pedals 2018

I found the Crank Brother's Mallet Enduro LS Platform Pedals is $103.36+California Tax $8.04= $111.08 at Bike Bling Bike Shop in Escondido CA. And Free Shipping or Store Pick up in Escondido, CA

Spindle Mallet E LS 57mm to Mallet E 52mm

The ultimate pedal for enduro riding and racing, now with a longer spindle

Q-factor 57mm for increased shoe clearance and control
Concave platform-clipless pedal designed for enduro riding and racing
12% smaller and 60g lighter than Mallet DH
All new internals: outboard Enduro bearing, inboard igus II glide bearing and double seal system
Integrated traction pad technology to optimize cleat engagement and shoe tread interface with pedal body
Ribbed body for better traction when unclipped
Chamfered leading edges to reduce rock-strikes
6 adjustable pins per side
Aluminum body, Chromoly spindle and Cast Steel wings
4-sided entry and excellent mud-shedding ability
Brass cleats and plastic shims included
Fully rebuildable and simple to maintain
Release angle 15° / 20°
The left pedal is indicated by a small grooved line around the threads of the spindle
5 year manufacturer's warranty
Weight: 424g.

View: https://youtu.be/hwd9ULE8saU

224201.jpg

Yes I have used the Crank Brother's Mallet DH Platform Pedals when I got my Surly LHT 26 52 cm 2008 on 11-2008 and I was going back and forth with the Sun Ringle zuzu DH platform Pedals and I have lost my Crank Brother's Mallet DH Platform Pedals in a Pawn shop in San Diego, CA in 2009 when I had legal problems with my social security disability income and lt is a long Story about my had legal problems problems in Tampa, FL

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
With all the Clipless SPD Pedals that I have mentioned that I had a Hard time using the Clipless SPD Pedals when Fully Loaded Touring Bicycle and Walking around when I could not able to get up a hill with my Surly LHT 26 52 cm 2008 Touring Bicycle and To me that I am Living on a Fixed income. And some of the Clipless SPD Shoes was to big for my feet.

It sounds to me like your problem is with the shoes, not the pedals.

Top Bottom