I am thinking of buying a Turbo trainer - are they any good? Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Right so i have been off the bike most of the summer.Prostate bleeding and all that.Well normally i also put the bike away In October.So i am thinking of buying a Turbo trainer,are they any good,do they help you keep topped up as such,stamina,endurance wise.Otherwise it could be a very slow start next year,i will have lost my get up and go.Answers on a £10 note please.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Turbo trainers are great and as expensive or cheap as your budget will allow, it is a good idea to have a laptop set up in the garage / kitchen wherever you decide to use the turbo in order to play the readily available youtube training videos while you use the turbo otherwise the sessions on the turbo are very dull and boring. The turbo will allow you to exercise the legs as well as keep up the cardio vascular exercise you normally get whilst cycling. Another tip is to drape a towel over the cycle frame to catch the sweat that would otherwise stain the bike framework. Couldn't find a ten pound note big enough to fit my answer on.

Come to think of it I have a generic (not named) turbo trainer you can have for a few beer tokens if you wish as it is laying unused in the bike shed and you are fairly local to me so getting it to you would not be an issue.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you look about you can get some good bargains in sales. I have a smart Turbo and use Zwift. It's a good way of killing the time on a turbo. It's an interactive virtual world. There is an £8 monthly subscription but many just pay through the winter. I'm using it as I'm not riding on the roads due to my back injury.

Turbo trainers used to be just about the worst thing you could ever do to your bike, or yourself. Really only useful if you were recovering from an injury, or had another reason why you couldn't ride a bike properly, or you were setting a bike up after a bit of major maintenance. However, the new generation of 'smart' trainers, are a lot better. The direct drive ones are actually very good. Just get a good fan, and some interesting 'virtual routes'. I'm actually considering getting one of these.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-kickr...|pcrid|67090793342|pkw||pmt||prd|5360716148uk.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
In the winter months when it's really cold/raining I use a turbo I quite enjoy it with some good music I do and hour at a time, it is not as good as going out for a ride, but it's better than nothing. I think I paid around £60 on ebay.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My setup. Not pretty but it works.
20160623_094225.jpg

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
This is the setup I've used for the last 2 winters.
25898362860_2d4926ba41_c.jpg

However to stay motivated I needed to introduce stucture into the sessions and track my progress.

For structure I use the following video:

To track my progress I use a Garmin Edge 1000 connected to speed and cadence sensors. Of couse the distance covered and average speeds do not have any absolute significance, howerver since I am using a fluid trainer (CycleOps Pro) which has a defined power curve, then this setup does enable me to track each workout relative to the other workouts and hence enable me to set targets and track progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom