I am thinking of buying a Turbo trainer - are they any good? Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need a smart trainer. These have the Ant+ wireless usually.

These start at about £200 and go upwards. I picked up a Tacx Smart trainer but got 30% off in a halfords sale for £140. Zwift will work with basic mag trainers so long as you can set the resistance (about level 3 of 5).

You then need a usb ant+ sensor for the laptop. £20 to £30 for this.

Smart trainers work better in that the resistance changes with gradient. You don't need a £500 one unless you are really serious. I'm dead happy with the Tacx.

You'll need a wheel block if the trainer doesn't come with one. Block of wood will do to level the bike.

A fan or two is essential as you will overheat, even in a cold garage in winter.

Then there is a subscription to zwift or bkool. Zwift is £8 monthly but you don't need to pay during the summer if you don't want.

All have structured training programmes as well as free ride. I tend to just ride and select group rides when they are running. It's good for killing the time.

Smart turbos do need a computer though. Most supply a basic programme with them but bkool, zwift and trainer road are the main 3rd party ones. Each offers something slightly different.

G3CWI

Veteran
I bought a turbo a couple of years ago with good intentions. I used it twice. A sweat-fest in the garage was even less appealing than it sounded. The reality is there are very few days when you cannot cycle outside in the UK. If I was a pro-racer or doing some very structured training, a turbo would no doubt be essential. Not for me.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I had a turbo trainer but after a short while of owning this device I discovered I enjoyed riding in freezing temperatures and hailstones more than I liked riding on a turbo trainer, so I donated it to charity and never considered owning one ever again since.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
What's needed for a full set up? Been considering this but not sure exactly what's needed or how much it will cost

I used a turbo in the past but found it so noisey it put me off, which are queit ?
Fluid trainers are quieter and smoother than mag trainers if you don't want to go down the "smart" trainer route. There are some good training videos you can download from YouTube, so a laptop plugged into an external speaker (for loud music) will suffice nicely.

david k

Hi
Fluid trainers are quieter and smoother than mag trainers if you don't want to go down the "smart" trainer route. There are some good training videos you can download from YouTube, so a laptop plugged into an external speaker (for loud music) will suffice nicely.
I think if I did go for it I would probably go for a smart trainer, if they are worth the extra?

S-Express

Fluid trainers are quieter and smoother than mag trainers
There's no difference in noise between the two, I think you are confusing them with fan assisted trainers (which is where 'turbo' is derived). Mag trainers can feel a bit lumpy at high resistance / low revs, but are fine at normal cadence/resistance levels.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
There's no difference in noise between the two, I think you are confusing them with fan assisted trainers (which is where 'turbo' is derived). Mag trainers can feel a bit lumpy at high resistance / low revs, but are fine at normal cadence/resistance levels.
I've only used a fluid trainer, but when I did my internet research fluid trainers were consistently cited as being the quietest and smoothest type of trainer with a more realistic power curve than magnetic trainers.

S-Express

The power curve/smoothness thing is probably fair enough, but in terms of noise, there is no difference. There's nothing inherently noisy about a mag trainer, because the resistance in based on magnetism, not friction.

adamangler

Veteran
Massive difference between a bog standard turBo and a smart one connected to bkool etc. I really enjoy bkool and sometimes prefer it to the road.

I bough mine last December and used it 4-5 times a week. But only been used a handful of times through summer.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
For me it is being able to ride on a trainer and not get bored, lose weight and get fit! I use a bkool pro because of the videos you can ride which also alter the resistance on the back wheel according to the gradients. I have ridden over 1700 km since July on it and I still find it enjoyable.

bobinski

Legendary Member
For me it is being able to ride on a trainer and not get bored, lose weight and get fit! I use a bkool pro because of the videos you can ride which also alter the resistance on the back wheel according to the gradients. I have ridden over 1700 km since July on it and I still find it enjoyable.

pop over to the bkool cyclechat forum and join us for rides!

Top Bottom