I bought a bell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
For whom does it toll?

Ask not.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Whats brown and sounds like a bell ?

fresh-cow-manure-morning-concrete-street-background-57068678.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I never know whether to ring my bell or not. I've caused such alarm on occasions that I've felt guilty at shocking pedestrians (particularly older ones). To be fair the guilt doesn't last very long.

I was on the Nantes-to-Brest canal towpath last month when I came across a cyclist who was using a klaxon to get people out of his way. It was so LOUD that I reckon the sound carried a good 500 metres. How people didn't fall into the canal out of shock, I'll never know

plantfit

Guru
I ride a shared path on my recumbent trike, I start pinging my bell about 30 mtrs before the pedestrians and carry on pinging until they turn round to look at me, I was pinging my bell once and finished doing an emergency stop when they walked further into my path, the pedestrian said " I wondered what that ringing was" I think a good blast on the "Airzound" would have had the desired effect but I didn't want to startle the pedestrian, sometimes you can't do right for doing wrong

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I ride a shared path on my recumbent trike, I start pinging my bell about 30 mtrs before the pedestrians and carry on pinging until they turn round to look at me, I was pinging my bell once and finished doing an emergency stop when they walked further into my path, the pedestrian said " I wondered what that ringing was" I think a good blast on the "Airzound" would have had the desired effect but I didn't want to startle the pedestrian, sometimes you can't do right for doing wrong
After about 40 years and many bells, I think the current fashion of high one-note pingers are among the worst for people noticing them. Temple bells are slightly better and old English bring-bring and Dutch ding-dong seem best.

Top Bottom