I bought a new 1600 lumen light the other day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
On Friday i ended up buying a new front light from Halfords. I got my hands on the Bike Hut 1600 lumen. I know its totally overkill for road use, but this winter I'm planning on doing more evening MTB riding were the trails around me are pitch black and littered with obstacles to navigate around. If I do use it on my road bike i can always reduce the power output to more driver friendly use. The first one i got though turned out to be dud. The jargon on the instructions stated it would take around 9 hours to fully charge, but 25 hours later mine was still only barely showing 75%. Today i decided to return it and the Halfords staff couldn't of been more helpful. No questions asked whatsoever they got me a replacement to which is now working properly. When i opened up the second one out of its box the first thing i noticed is that it had included a Garmin out front mount, whilst the other one didn't. The box on the second one was also sealed too.
I,m starting to think the original was returned by a previous punter minus the garmin mount, and its somehow found its way back on the shelf again. The light is pretty good on full chat and gives a really good spread of light. Ideal for negotiating dark forest trails. Hopefully this will keep me happy this winter on and off road for many miles to come

G3CWI

Veteran
I was looking at one of those today.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have one. They are good. I didn't like the Garmin combined mount as it flexes a bit and not a fan of the rubber strap type mount. Luckily the mount is like a Gopro mount so I bought a bolt on Gopro metal mount. Totally solid when off roading in a 24 hr mtb race this summer so happy to use it as my winter light on unlit Country lanes. It lasts for a long time on lower settings as well. :okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I picked one of those up when they were on special offer just after launch (under £30 less Briish Cycling discount I think). Definately overkill for road use - even on unlit country lanes, level 3 (of 5) lights up the whole area, while in lit areas the next level down is the highest you should need. The main problem is too many functions to cycle through - if you've been using level 3 on the lanes and drop it down a level for oncoming traffic, there's still one more steady level, four flashing modes and back to the two highest steady modes to go through to get back to level 3 steady.

Doesn't the Garmin mount put the light upsidedown making the switch difficult to use? I've mounted mine on to an old quick release bracket.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
The burn times are 1hr@1600 lumens, 1.5hr@1000 lumens,
2.5hrs@640 " "
7 hrs @240 " "
The flashing modes will last up to 80 hours

Slick

Guru
I picked one of those up when they were on special offer just after launch (under £30 less Briish Cycling discount I think). Definately overkill for road use - even on unlit country lanes, level 3 (of 5) lights up the whole area, while in lit areas the next level down is the highest you should need. The main problem is too many functions to cycle through - if you've been using level 3 on the lanes and drop it down a level for oncoming traffic, there's still one more steady level, four flashing modes and back to the two highest steady modes to go through to get back to level 3 steady.

Doesn't the Garmin mount put the light upsidedown making the switch difficult to use? I've mounted mine on to an old quick release bracket.
I have the same light, bought as a present from a well meaning relative but it also has an additional dip switch you attach to your bars to let you cycle through the many options. Total pain in the ass though, which is why it lives in a cupboard at home.

si_c

Guru
I have the same light, bought as a present from a well meaning relative but it also has an additional dip switch you attach to your bars to let you cycle through the many options. Total pain in the ass though, which is why it lives in a cupboard at home.
Why such a problematic light?

Good morning,

.... The main problem is too many functions to cycle through - if you've been using level 3 on the lanes and drop it down a level for oncoming traffic, there's still one more steady level, four flashing modes and back to the two highest steady modes to go through to get back to level 3 steady....

I have a lezyne 700 lumen light with a similar number of options, but it also has an option called "Race Mode", please don't ask why it is called that.

In this mode the button cycles between 150 lumens and 700 lumens only, as I mount the light on the right hand side of the handlebars pointed towards the left hand side of the road 150 lumens is quite oncoming friendly and I can usually still see where I am going.

It seems an obvious feature for anyone making a light, so I am surprised that not every maker offers it.

Bye

Ian

Slick

Guru
Why such a problematic light?
Probably says more about me than it does the light if I'm honest. It's far too bright for road use, which I'm on all the time. To reduce the problem with this they have supplied an additional dip switch you can mount to the bars but you have to cycle through the many settings to get it back to where you want it which is a bit of a first world issue but an issue all the same. It's also massive so I bought an out front mount with the go pro fitting on it which means you can't see the settings or how much power you have left. My small Lezyne light is clipped and switched on and forgotten about. I might try the big light again in mid winter to see if I get on better with it this year.

Globalti

Legendary Member
LEDs have transformed lighting in many ways. Coming from dim tungsten lights with a huge battery, then to a Halogen light and now LED I love being out at night when you've got the roads almost to yourself.

My colleague in Lagos (where I am this week) had a whip-round amongst the keen players at his tennis club and imported then installed LED lighting on the courts, meaning they can play in the cool of the night (dark at 6.30 here in the tropics) and LEDs don't mind going on and off as the power comes and goes and the gen gets fired up, unlike the old mercury lights that needed to be left 30 minutes to cool down before re-lighting, meaning they could almost never play at night.

si_c

Guru
I've been thinking about this, might have a look at this light - I like that you can use the light to charge other USB devices. Will add it to my watchlist see if it goes on offer, I've got plenty of lights, but you can never have enough right?

Top Bottom