I bought a new 1600 lumen light the other day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. Just a quick update.
Sadly the second light gave up tonight. The first one wouldn't charge and was replaced for another. Three weeks of use and the second one started having a hissy fit tonight. It started cycling through all the different light settings all by itself. Not good when your 8 miles into your ride and in the middle of nowhere. One minute it was blazing out a full 1600 lumens then the next minute it would change to the next setting and then the next. I headed back to Halfords to show them the problem and they've been more than helpful with me. As this is the second one I had problems with, ive declined a replacement and they've refunded me. When the light was working it was brilliant but i seem to of hit a batch of faulty ones and wouldn't trust another one now. Back to my old light now. Its not as bright but at least its reliable lol.

Slick

Guru
Funny, after reading this thread I looked out the light and recharged it and it switched itself off halfway through the morning commute. I gave it another chance and so far it's been fine. It will probably be a while before I stop carrying a spare though.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have had the NiteRider 750 for years. They are extremely bright, well made and simple to use. I understand they do more powerful models too, but 750 lumens is plenty.

I would if riding during heavy rain dismantle the light apply silicone di electric grease to all joints and usb charge area. Mine filled with water in what could be described as biblical downpour of several hours. The light survived once I had dried it all out.

I lost that day a power meter, cadence speed sensor due to water ingress.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Quite helpful reading This thread. I'm in the process of choosing another light around the £20 mark and have narrowed it down to A 1000L which I had a good feeling about and also a 2600L for the same buck. Think I will get the 1000L as people are suggesting that is ample for unlit paths??

si_c

Guru
Lumens are broadly irrelevant in terms of enough light for a bike to see with when riding. More important are the optics as they place the light where you need it to see. A cheaper light with lots of lumens simply floods the area with light - great if you want to see the bats in the trees 200ft above your head, less good if you don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Used mine on tonight's dog walk.
Full chat mode:-
1576951850137.png

Im running two 400 lumen lights, they never have touch wood but I like the redundancy of having two. If I was doing a lot of off roading or my eyesight was failing I might get something more powerful but my current setup is good for me on unlit lanes and cycle paths (namely the unlit busway) without being too OTT and blinding on coming drivers/cyclists.

Top Bottom