I can has mongoose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
A. Zonkey. Is. Not. A. Species. It. Is. A. Hybrid. It. Is. Not. Capable. Of. Reproducing. Therefore. It. Is. Not. A. Species.

papercorn2000

How about a Liger?

bonj2

Arch said:
A. Zonkey. Is. Not. A. Species. It. Is. A. Hybrid. It. Is. Not. Capable. Of. Reproducing. Therefore. It. Is. Not. A. Species.

I disagree, but I'll politely submit to your superior knowledge in order to avoid a pointless argument.

bonj2

Brock said:
A zonkey can't reproduce?

Apparently, that's the get-out clause that enables them to call it not a species. But I think the only evidence that it "can't" reproduce is that only one has ever existed, and it didn't bother.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Apparently, that's the get-out clause that enables them to call it not a species. But I think the only evidence that it "can't" reproduce is that only one has ever existed, and it didn't bother.

Not bonj, you think only one has ever existed, we all know there have been lots, but each one is a hybrid created from a donkey and a zebra. The imbalance in chromosome numbers means that a viable pregnancy is impossible and so they can't reproduce.

Noodley, I could knit one, it's pretty much a slightly stripey donkey... But bonj might not want it...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Arch said:
But bonj might not want it...
Let's not forget the Zonkey here, it might not want Bonj. :blush:;)

bonj2

Arch said:
Not bonj, you think only one has ever existed, we all know there have been lots, but each one is a hybrid created from a donkey and a zebra. The imbalance in chromosome numbers means that a viable pregnancy is impossible and so they can't reproduce.
I'm not sure that can be said for definite until they've at least tried, but...
They thought electricity was impossible in the 17th century, if you went back in a time travel machine with a microwave and demonstrated it you'd be burnt at the stake as a witch.

Arch said:
Noodley, I could knit one, it's pretty much a slightly stripey donkey... But bonj might not want it...
:blush::biggrin:
i'd gladly have it and give it a loving home if you want to knit me one but don't go out of your way xx(

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
I'm not sure that can be said for definite until they've at least tried, but...

I think 'they' have. Mules (which are the same sort of thing, but a donkey/horse hybrid) have been in extensive use all over the world for thousands of years, so if there was any viable way to breed them with each other, it would have happened by now. Most mules are utterly infertile. A very few are technically fertile, but cannot sustain a viable pregnancy. Every so often there is a report of a mule giving birth after mating with a horse or donkey, but it is very, very rare, often not proven, merely a story, and I believe that the offspring would always be infertile, hence it's a reproductive dead end. Also, a mule/horse cross is not a mule, so it's not a case of like reproducing like in genetic terms, which is what you need for a species definition.

A zonkey is the product of two even more different animals in terms of chromosome numbers, so the chances of reproduction are even smaller than for the mule. IE. zero.

i'd gladly have it if you want to knit me one but don't go out of your way :blush:xx(

There's quite a queue at the moment, but if I get to the zonkey before I get bored of knitting or die of old age, whichever is sooner, I'll let you know...:biggrin:

bonj2

Arch said:
I think 'they' have. Mules (which are the same sort of thing, but a donkey/horse hybrid) have been in extensive use all over the world for thousands of years, so if there was any viable way to breed them with each other, it would have happened by now. Most mules are utterly infertile. A very few are technically fertile, but cannot sustain a viable pregnancy. Every so often there is a report of a mule giving birth after mating with a horse or donkey, but it is very, very rare, often not proven, merely a story, and I believe that the offspring would always be infertile, hence it's a reproductive dead end. Also, a mule/horse cross is not a mule, so it's not a case of like reproducing like in genetic terms, which is what you need for a species definition.

A zonkey is the product of two even more different animals in terms of chromosome numbers, so the chances of reproduction are even smaller than for the mule. IE. zero.
I totally get your point, but I just can't get away from the feeling that the main thing standing in the way of zonkeys breeding is that there's never been that many of them, in a field, together. If there was a whole herd of them, some male, some female, and they just left them to it in the wild for ages I just get the feeling that one of the female zonkeys might just end up preggers. You've got to think natural. Too much emphasis seems to have been placed on existing forced conception methods and 'test-tube' babies, they've just gone "let's try and get it pregnant in a lab, has it worked, no, right, sod it, must be impossible" and haven't really given nature a proper chance.
I thought there might be some scientific evidence that proves it's impossible, but I don't think "if it could happen it would have by now" is it.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
bonj said:
They thought electricity was impossible in the 17th century, if you went back in a time travel machine with a microwave and demonstrated it you'd be burnt at the stake as a witch.
Glee! :blush:

<Shakesbloke>
"Marry 'nuncle, hast thou tried that electrickery of late?"

"Nay Fool, 'tis quite impossible and there is more chance that a ship of dung will fly to the Moon than electrickery be ever proved to be real. I see the fairies have mazed you with talk of witchery and foolcraft again. Now be off with you before my boot maketh contact with thy silly buttocks."
</Shakesbloke>

Top Bottom