I don't follow F1 but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He made one or two too many silly mistakes this season. He was in with a chance of winning the championship up until today, but only if you're Carol Vorderman.:biggrin:

mark barker

In a slower car compared to Red Bull and Ferrari.

True... But talent does play some part in it... Hamilton has had a few issues this year that really should have him displaying L plates!

I think the true level of his (and indeed Buttons) talent have been shown this season. Give either of them a superior car and they'll happily win, but give them something that isn't quite as good as it could be and the excuses come out in bucketfuls. F1 is one of those sports that to be a real champion the drivers need to win more than one championship, reducing the effect of the car to some extent.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
So the person who usually wins is the one who has the fastest car with skill only playing a minor part?
What an interesting sport..

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So the person who usually wins is the one who has the fastest car with skill only playing a minor part?
What an interesting sport..

There's a famous quote from Juan Manuel Fangio, the greatest F1 driver of all time 'in my day it was 90% car, 10%, now it's 95% car and 5% driver'. It was generally reckoned about 5 years ago that if you put all the drivers in the same car they'd lap within 1.5 seconds of each other.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
As was mentioned, Hamilton made a few silly mistakes, Monza for example, and Jenson did really well too, especially in the last race. Four drivers could've won the championship, happy it's not that to55er Alonso, and he finished 4th in one of the world's toughest sports. Not a bad season.

Please Monty, don't do what people in the UK love doind, building someone up only to take delight in knocking them down, only really happen sin this country and is quite pathetic IMO.

There's a famous quote from Juan Manuel Fangio, the greatest F1 driver of all time 'in my day it was 90% car, 10%, now it's 95% car and 5% driver'. It was generally reckoned about 5 years ago that if you put all the drivers in the same car they'd lap within 1.5 seconds of each other.

And it's not helped by having crap tracks like yesterdays where a far slower car/driver combo can't be overtaken.

The problem is that the quality of tracks from a spectators point of view comes a poor second to the ability to park ones yacht within walking distance of the paddock.

BSRU

A Human Being
Why do they spend so much money on a new track that is no good for overtaking in a place with no chance of rain to spice things up?
I was looking forward to watching the last race with three drivers still in contention but I found the race quite disappointing due to the lack of overtaking.
I hope next year the final races on tracks where overtaking a much slower car is actually possible.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Alonso whinges even more than Hamilton does. Hamilton's still learning, it takes most F1 drivers 3-5 years to mature with some blossoming even later on than this. It's very obvious in 2009 and 2010 Vettel were still learning plenty of things.

It's much harder than people think to win back to back titles in F1. People have become accustomed to the idea because of Schumacher, Hakinnen and Alonso in recent years and it's not helped that in many sports in the 90s and 00s there have been super dominant figures winning multiple times in quite a few different sports. Quite a few triple and double F1 champions never managed back to back titles, let alone the single champions or those nearly rans.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Finding the BBC British Sports Personality of the Year for 2010 just got a lot more difficult....
whistling.gif

Top Bottom