I don't know how to ride a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Some people lack the requisite balance skills. Mrs. GA has tried to ride a bike as an adult many times, and simply winds up falling off. But she can swim amazingly well, and I swim like a brick, so there's a trade-off to everything, I guess. She could ride when she was younger, but not anymore.
I can relate to that :smile:. I'm comfortable with cycling, but I have very flat feet, so I'm hopeless at running.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I am as well, being 6'4", I had as good a time as a distance runner as anyone, but developed side stitches and shin splints. Opposite problem, high arches. Cycling has been great for me, though. Glad I can still do it. Not as good as when I was young. I returned to it when I was in my forties.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
No, I'm not the slightest bit envious, and I'm comfortable with my own cycling abilities, having ridden a bicycle my whole life. I'm just annoyed that some people riding bicycles don't know when or how to give way, adjust their speed to suit the conditions, and/or overtake. These same people generally have little respect for other people, and for the road rules.

That is not knowing how to ride a bike, that is being an ignorant bad mannered lout. I see which way you are looking at it from now though.

I am not very good at winning the lottery, I suppose not buying a ticket does not help.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
We'll just have to disagree on this, then :smile:. I think that part of knowing how to ride a bike is using safe cycling techniques. Anyone with enough strength can get on a bike and ride fast, but riding properly takes effort of another kind.

We'll just have to disagree on this, then :smile:. I think that part of knowing how to ride a bike is using safe cycling techniques. Anyone with enough strength can get on a bike and ride fast, but riding properly takes effort of another kind.
The problem with 'riding properly' is it is subjective. Someones riding properly (helmeted, hi-vized, using bike lanes/shared paths when ever possible) would be totally at odds with my 'riding properly'.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
:popcorn: Time to leave I think :bicycle: :hello:
Agreed. My apologies for stirring up any controversy, people, I wasn't trying to be rude.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I am not very good at winning the lottery, I suppose not buying a ticket does not help.
If you had bought one lottery ticket per week since it was introduced in 1994 it would by now have cost you, by my calculations, slightly over £1000.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I was surprised that one of my wife's friends cannot ride a bike 'cause she never had one as a child:something she regrets.
I suggested she tries an upright trike.
A Longstaff:evil:^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I did my bikeability instructor training, the instructor got me to sit on my bike, put on the brakes and then, with him holding me, put my feet on the pedals.

You haven't time trialled then ? It's usually some old codger that has to hold up 120 cyclists for the best part of two hours at the start. That's wobbly !

Top Bottom