I don't know if I am going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad

[QUOTE="Rickshaw Phil, post: 5231486, member: 20178"]Putting my mod hat on for a moment; there are some polarised opinions on this subject. Please calm it down a bit - this isn't about trying to prove that yours is the one true braking system.

I think experience with cantilevers can be a bit hit and miss. My two best bikes are on cantilever brakes and give different experiences.

The Dawes has Shimano cantis which I've found quite tricky to set up and finally managed to get the braking adequate. I'm considering trying some mini-V's to see how they perform.
The Raleigh has unbranded brakes which have been a fairly easy set up and give a great feel and a bite that I prefer to the V-brakes on my knockabout bike.

I've had cantilever brakes on my road bikes, V brakes on my commuter hybrids and now disc brakes on my Troll and MTB. Disc brakes are by far the best brakes I have used on any bicycle. As I say V brakes are ok but disc brakes are just much better. Period.[/QUOTE]
I remember when Surly Bikes came out with the Surly Troll Expedition Touring Bicycle and I was thinking that is a Sexy Bicycle. And I am looking at the Surly Troll Expedition Touring Bicycle and I am going have to go to my LBS= local
Bicycle Shop ASAP to look at the Surly Troll
BK0042__97124.1517683783.500.659.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've had cantilever brakes on my road bikes, V brakes on my commuter hybrids and now disc brakes on my Troll and MTB. Disc brakes are by far the best brakes I have used on any bicycle. As I say V brakes are ok but disc brakes are just much better. Period.
I remember when Surly Bikes came out with the Surly Troll Expedition Touring Bicycle and I was thinking that is a Sexy Bicycle. And I am looking at the Surly Troll Expedition Touring Bicycle and I am going have to go to my LBS= local
View attachment 407107 [/QUOTE]

The Surly Troll is on my wish list. Lovely thing and so adaptable.

Bodhbh

Guru
The Surly Troll is on my wish list. Lovely thing and so adaptable.

Seen as I've now got an excuse to post a pic somewhere...

ylnvxri.jpg

Just built it up last week from parts swapped over from my old tourer. First time I've actually ever bought a full, new, frameset of anything - rather than bodge together something from eBay. My old Orange P7 with Troll forks worked great as a tourer, but was always slightly too long so I decided to treat myself. Having a multitude of mounts for everything actually makes it easier to brake down and use for use other than touring. First time I've had a bike where you can take off the mudguards and rack seperately as they've always shared bolts someplace. Already it's replaced two bikes, as I plan to swap wheelsets depending what I'm doing. If I get on with the wheel swap thing, it may replace a third. Plan to make full use of the versatility...

On topic: the rim brake mounts will remain as ornamental, magpie scaring devices.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't describe that as a Tourer! It looks like a conventional 1980's/1990's style rigid MTB fitted with mudguards to me.... It might be perfectly capable of being set up for touring, like any similar rigid MTB frame, but let's not stretch the definition of types of bikes to the point where they actually bear no resemblance to what they purport to be.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Surly pride themselves on the Troll being one of their finest tourers. Especially off road. Take a look at CGOAB and you’ll see many global jaunts have been done on the Troll. YouTube alludes to the Troll being a great choice for touring.

A 90s Mongoose MTB was one of my first touring bikes. I guess I was the first and the last of anyone to try that sort of tomfoolery. ;) An old Peugeot ‘racing bike’ got me pretty far down the road too.

It makes me want a Troll even more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad

[QUOTE 5232141, member: 45"]What's with the capitals?[/QUOTE]
FYI: that is the that I type my words and I have ADHD and I was in special education when I was a kid and I don't know how to put word when typing.

OP
OP
RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad

View attachment 407216

Just built it up last week from parts swapped over from my old tourer. First time I've actually ever bought a full, new, frameset of anything - rather than bodge together something from eBay. My old Orange P7 with Troll forks worked great as a tourer, but was always slightly too long so I decided to treat myself. Having a multitude of mounts for everything actually makes it easier to brake down and use for use other than touring. First time I've had a bike where you can take off the mudguards and rack seperately as they've always shared bolts someplace. Already it's replaced two bikes, as I plan to swap wheelsets depending what I'm doing. If I get on with the wheel swap thing, it may replace a third. Plan to make full use of the versatility...

On topic: the rim brake mounts will remain as ornamental, magpie scaring devices.
I am looking at the I am thinking about the Masi Giramando 700c 2018 for my Bicycle Touring Trips in the USA 1299.99+California Tax=$1426.74 t is cheaper to buy a Touring Bicycle then from Frameset 700X40c 32hole spokes and I would replace with 36hole spokes, 36hole Rims and Sun-Ringle Rhyno lites 700c Rims and Shimano Deore HB-M525A Front Hub, Shimano HU-M525A Rear Hub 6-bolt $1299.99 with racks and I would add flat mtn handlebars and I have the Shimano XT SL-M780 Trigger Shifters 10 speed in the box in my Storage unit I am working on the Disc Brakes: Research my question is which Disc brakes will be easier to work on when Bicycle Touring? Avid BB7 Mountain Disc Brakes mechanical vs Hayes MX expert Disc Brake mechanical Long Pull Brakes It is not fun trying to look for bike parts 10 speed on-line bike shops with Mountain vs Trekking bike parts http://www.biketoday.news/2017/10/masi-bikes-new-2018-giramondo-700c.html
bi183c05-blue.jpg

Crankarm

Guru

View attachment 407216

Arghhh ..................... that's Trolltastic.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
I am looking at the I am thinking about the Masi Giramando 700c 2018 for my Bicycle Touring Trips in the USA 1299.99+California Tax=$1426.74 t is cheaper to buy a Touring Bicycle then from Frameset 700X40c 32hole spokes and I would replace with 36hole spokes, 36hole Rims and Sun-Ringle Rhyno lites 700c Rims and Shimano Deore HB-M525A Front Hub, Shimano HU-M525A Rear Hub 6-bolt $1299.99 with racks and I would add flat mtn handlebars and I have the Shimano XT SL-M780 Trigger Shifters 10 speed in the box in my Storage unit I am working on the Disc Brakes: Research my question is which Disc brakes will be easier to work on when Bicycle Touring? Avid BB7 Mountain Disc Brakes mechanical vs Hayes MX expert Disc Brake mechanical Long Pull Brakes It is not fun trying to look for bike parts 10 speed on-line bike shops with Mountain vs Trekking bike parts http://www.biketoday.news/2017/10/masi-bikes-new-2018-giramondo-700c.html
View attachment 407261

If you must have cable disc brakes then get the Avid BB7s with Avid Speed dial levers. At the moment mine has Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes with sintered pads and the braking is pretty good, pretty good ........ 160mm Hope disc at the rear and 180mm Shimano XT disc on the front. Could go to a 203mm on the front, but the stopping power is pretty good at the moment. Although would love some Hope disc brakes.

When I bought The Very Lovely Valencia (to give her her full title) she was supplied with basic (shimano?) disc brakes. THey worked, but there were only two people in the world that could make them not squeal. After a couple of years I upgraded to BB7s. The next bike I bought was the Circe Helios, and BB7s were a non-negotiable part of the spec.

Although, as V&I discovered, no brakes in the world will help you if the front brake cable snaps halfway down Little Fryupdale...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5233171, member: 10119"]When I bought The Very Lovely Valencia (to give her her full title) she was supplied with basic (shimano?) disc brakes. THey worked, but there were only two people in the world that could make them not squeal. After a couple of years I upgraded to BB7s. The next bike I bought was the Circe Helios, and BB7s were a non-negotiable part of the spec.

Although, as V&I discovered, no brakes in the world will help you if the front brake cable snaps halfway down Little Fryupdale...[/QUOTE]
Or a hose goes before the hydraulic fans start wittering on.

Top Bottom