I finally got myself a Brommie S6L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Ergons with bar ends are my best bet. The instructions indicate they should be at a 15 degree angle. Is that what you all prefer?
Depends from the bike and it's setup. On most of my bikes with bar ends I do have them pointing upwards, my touring Brommi with the S-alike bar is the only one were the bar ends point directly forward. The other interesting thing are the grips themselves - i do have them pointing upwards (towards the rider) in a roughly 15° angle and I find this the most comfortable position as it supports the hands and avoids a sharp angle between hand and arm (which is ergonomical). Most people seem to have the grips flat or even pointing slightly downwards - which is a bit pointless ;) in my eyes as this way their function is very limited at best (at least regarding my arms and hands)

12boy

Guru
Thanks Berlinaut...l have S bars and I was actually asking about the grips.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks Berlinaut...l have S bars and I was actually asking about the grips.
:okay: I do usally mount the grips that they are more or less in line with my arms when riding the bike so that arms, hands and grips are almost a straight line. The concrete angle thus depends from the difference between saddle height and bar height on any given bike plus the reach - the lower the bar the steeper the angle.

Last edited:
Definitely, as someone significantly north of 6' there is no way I could ever ride one and not look like a clown though.
I am shopping right now and this is what I am worried about. I am exactly 6' tall in my cycling shoes. Will I appear circus-ish when riding? A test ride confirmed that I need an extended seat post but other than the twitchyness I had no complaints.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm not 6', but riding past a school soon after I got my Brommie, I was expecting the usual 'Get off and milk it!' remarks (I was ready with my witty reposted 'I can't, it lays eggs') but one lad with his mates called after me 'Oi! Cool bike, grandad'.
I've never had a rude or disparaging remark. Yet.

cheys03

Veteran
I am shopping right now and this is what I am worried about. I am exactly 6' tall in my cycling shoes. Will I appear circus-ish when riding? A test ride confirmed that I need an extended seat post but other than the twitchyness I had no complaints.
I’m 6’2.5” (yes, that 1/2 inch is very important to me) and not entirely within target BMI. Long torso and comparatively short legs using the extending, telescopic seatpost.
I probably look like a bear on a circus tricycle, but certainly don’t care what it looks like. The bike is simply brilliant.

Kell

Veteran
I don't even think it's necessarily just the bike.

Before I bought my Brompton - a Lime Green one - I use one of the Brompton Hire ones for a month.

If you're unfamiliar with them, they're purple and pink.

I had more comments in one month riding that bike than I can remember in 40+ years of riding everything else combined.

None of it was exactly highbrow - mostly "nice bike mate" or "is that your wife's?"

a.twiddler

Veteran
Curiously, nobody has made any disparaging remarks about the Brompton while I've been out and about, even though my incoming insult radar was tuned to a hypersensitive level. It is a non eye catching plain white though. One or two comments while riding the 20" folder but realistically, that does look a bit ungainly. I thought the Brompton looked a little strange when I first had it but I must have got used to it. It's only when I ride past a shop window and see my reflection or see my shadow on the road that i'm even aware of it. It rides OK and you can't see it while you're riding it.

Short or tall, it is what it is, one frame size fits just about everyone even if you need a different size seat post to fine tune it. Like many things in life, how it feels is what matters, not what it looks like to others.

In fact, if a conventional bicycle can be considered a "type object", easily recognisable in any culture in any part of the world, a Brompton, by its very existence in an instantly recognisable form for forty years is heading for the same status. A rider of such a bike therefore is not such an unusual sight in many parts of the world. It might be different, but rather than be self conscious, celebrate the difference!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm tall and no one has made any comments to me when I've been riding my Brompton. But I have found that people come and started talking to me about it, say in stations when I have it folded. So much so that I've decided that it is far more sociable and affable than I am.

Top Bottom