I finally got myself a Brommie S6L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
welcome to the fold

ExBrit

Über Member
Every morning on my commute.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wNkVZltMfw

And then every evening I have to climb back up it at around 4mph.

I would say is that while it's not AS stable as a 'normal' bike (I went down there yesterday on my road bike) it's also definitely not what I would call twitchy.

As you can see from the video though, you do get a lot of vibration on a Brompton. The small wheels combined with the super-long stem amplify those vibrations which is why I think it's hard to ride no handed.

Hard, but not impossible...

View: https://youtu.be/FzK5fmmQ7_g

The traffic makes me more nervous than the speed. Now try it with aerobars. Worth another 5mph easy.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well... I've just completed the first 100 miles (not all in one go!) on my Brommie.

It took a short while, and some practice, to fold/unfold in the correct order, and to get used to the gear changes.
Both are now 'automatic' in as much as I don't have to think about them.

My only mod has been to fit ergo grips as the original were too solid and thin for my liking and comfort.
(the flowers are not Bar Ends, they're begonias)

DSC_0194.JPG

Tenkaykev

Guru
Well... I've just completed the first 100 miles (not all in one go!) on my Brommie.

It took a short while, and some practice, to fold/unfold in the correct order, and to get used to the gear changes.
Both are now 'automatic' in as much as I don't have to think about them.

My only mod has been to fit ergo grips as the original were too solid and thin for my liking and comfort.
(the flowers are not Bar Ends, they're begonias)

View attachment 615031
Nice! I have identical grips on one of my Brommies, I chose them as the contrast stitching is a perfect match for the colour scheme. My other Brommie has Ergon GP1 grips and I find that the cushioning is more effective than the fancy ones.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Don't forget to do up that middle hinge before you set off; if you do forget the outcome is not pretty. Ask me how I know :whistle:.
I once didn't quite do up the stem fastener (I was chatting to someone as I unfolded) I bid them goodbye, pushed-off and simultaneously somersaulted over the front wheel. They were more shocked than me!:laugh:

12boy

Guru
I, too, have Ergons on my Bromptie, although if I could find a good way to have my grips more parallel to the main tube instead of at right angles to it I would go with that. I have tried various other bars, such as North Roads, Porteur and Moustache bars but they leave my hands too clise to the seat, so Ergons with bar ends are my best bet. The instructions indicate they should be at a 15 degree angle. Is that what you all prefer?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I, too, have Ergons on my Bromptie, although if I could find a good way to have my grips more parallel to the main tube instead of at right angles to it I would go with that. I have tried various other bars, such as North Roads, Porteur and Moustache bars but they leave my hands too clise to the seat, so Ergons with bar ends are my best bet. The instructions indicate they should be at a 15 degree angle. Is that what you all prefer?
A slight bend would be nice, but I'm happy with the ergons as they are. I'm not riding huge miles or hours at a time so it's not long enough for my wrists to suffer.
I worked out the correct angle by fitting them and nipping the Hex bolts slightly whilst sitting on the bike and twiddling them until comfy was reached. I then tightened them up before road testing..

Top Bottom