I get made fun of for wearing a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was an advert in a MTB magazine a few years back, there were two pictures one of a teenager in a helmet and the other again of a teenager being spoon fed by a nurse and the caption was “and you think you look silly in a helmet”.

I remember that one.... I grinked it!

jack smith

Veteran
There really are some idiots ont his forum its his daughters choice if she wears one or not, i wear one and im a big fella as do all the pro's. at the end of the day say if you and his daughter fall and hit their head off a curb i know who's parents will be feeling the most shoot about it.

MarkF

Guru
There really are some idiots ont his forum its his daughters choice if she wears one or not, i wear one and im a big fella as do all the pro's. at the end of the day say if you and his daughter fall and hit their head off a curb i know who's parents will be feeling the most shoot about it.

yez, dunt luv mi dorter me, end ov, nuf sed.

... and therein lies the problem

I agree absolutely, if they fall and hit their head on a curb it will be tragic.

Now what happens if they are out on their bike and the same happens?

Is it more tragic than the same injury when they fall?

Why should they not wear helmets to prevent BOTH Injury scenarios?

.. or are they "idiots" for failing to prevent the injury in one scenario, but totally sensible for failing to take the same preventative measures to prevent the same injury

Hypocritical methinks?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If you want to wear a helmet, you wear one. I wear a lid, mostly. Not always when I'm off for a tootle along the Marriotts Way, no road cycling involved. I always wear my lid on the road though. That is my personal choice.

If the kids at school are teasing you, just ignore them, they will get bored soon enough and go and pick on someone else for some equally daft reason. Bullies are wimps who will poo their panties in a one-to-one situation, as I discovered to my delight when I was 15. They are only big as they have their thick bully friends.

For the record, when I was your age I was bullied for wearing a riding helmet with a chin strap (Jockey skull caps were not all the rage in 1979). My Mother insisted. When I hit the deck at 30+ mph and my skull cap disintegrated, I had a fractured skull despite wearing it, I was very glad that I did have it on as I would have either been life alteringly brain damaged or dead. As it was I had a 4 x 2" metal plate in my head which caused such a shock to my system, my hair grew back as white as snow. Better then dead though eh?

jack smith

Veteran
Wearing a helmet reduces the chance of head injury in certain situations, if you hit your head off the road in certain instances a helmet will prevent a gash to the head ect, when not wearing one wouldnt this isnt going into high speed colisions btw. Think about it would you rather your bare head hit the ground or a helmet... So if a helmet reduces the risk of a more serious injury when you fall i know what id rather have.
anyone that says a helmet dosent reduce the risk of injury is one of two things
A.stupid
B.stupid

But its everyones choice if they want to wear one or not, if the OP wants to wear one he can and their is no shame. but just because you or a family member dont dosent mean he is a sissy or anything else but someone who cares for his life.

In short if you had a fall off your bike at any speed would you rather your bare head hit the tarmac or your helmet... The op is a wise one..

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you want to talk about the benefits or not of helmets, I'd suggest you go and play in Helmet and Headphone debates, rather than commuting. That's aimed at a few others on here from either side of the debate btw not just you Jack.

jack smith

Veteran
As ive already said this is a helmet related topic and the poor lad is gettinf bullied for wearing one, i am just telling hi, why wearing one is a good idea, youve had your input, let me have mine.

Wearing a helmet reduces the chance of head injury in certain situations, if you hit your head off the road in certain instances a helmet will prevent a gash to the head ect, when not wearing one wouldnt this isnt going into high speed colisions btw. Think about it would you rather your bare head hit the ground or a helmet... So if a helmet reduces the risk of a more serious injury when you fall i know what id rather have.
anyone that says a helmet dosent reduce the risk of injury is one of two things
A.stupid
B.stupid

But its everyones choice if they want to wear one or not, if the OP wants to wear one he can and their is no shame. but just because you or a family member dont dosent mean he is a sissy or anything else but someone who cares for his life.

Thank you for putting this into perspective......

Do all these comments apply to cycling as well as walking?

As well as pedestrians not wearing a helmet being:
A.stupid
B.stupid

Are cyclists not wearing helmets:

A.stupid
B.stupid

The discussion is not about whether you wish to promote your views by calling people silly names, but about the experiences of the OP

They have made the choice to wear one. That should be respected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom