I get made fun of for wearing a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

When they tap you on the helmet tell them you wiped your arse on it this morning.
Or coat the top with a very fine, very potent irritant...

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I'm only fifteen - and the main time I use my bicycle is the commute to school. I cycle on the roads and on the path during my commute, I understand it's not a legal requirement, but I feel more comfortable wearing a helmet and I feel more like a cyclist. I'm one of the very few people seen wearing a helmet - I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one in my year - I've had people smacking me on the head and calling me out on wearing a helmet. m.

For the most part, I ignore them - I think it would make an interesting thread where maybe we could generate some funny things to say back to them?

If you react to them they`ll do it even more. Just ignore them and in time they`ll get bored.

Tom B

Guru
This must be one of those things that seems like a massive deal when you are fifteen. With experience you will just see that it isn't a great issue.
I regularly sit around the office, walk around the building shops etc with my helmet on, with the usual cries of "you've forgotten your bike", "the ceiling inst going to fall on you head" and so on.
I just find that the easiest place to carry it is on my head.

It is all character building, ignore them, they are looking for a response, be it verbal, physical or more subtle shrinking away if they get this response then they will keep doing it. Perhaps refer to it as a lid, or something of a more funky name than a lid (Don't name it Bernard or something)

Carry on as you planned, let them carry on making a fool out of it.

Finally assume everything people shout at you is encouragement...

This week several people have been so impressed by my cycling that I think they was inviting me on a "hunt", but the trouble is they seem to think I am called Richard Head and keep calling out my name as i pass...

Is Ricky Head a famous cyclist?

If that doesnt do it for you assume they are encouraging you like Eddie from American Flyers

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ

Just dont lose your shoe. There is probably some irony in that neither cyclist on the clip is wearing a lid.

As an aside, haven't helmets come a long way in appearance in the last 20 years.

Keep cycling, keep fit, get fit/fitter/ enter a few events and they'll soon shut up when the girls take notice! - Remember most events require helmet use.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
OK you are only 15.

I am going to give you some advice that I hope you hold onto forever.

You said you wear a helmet because it makes you feel more like a cyclist. Would you wear a woolen jumper to feel more like a sheep? Dont do anything just to conform, be an individual. I dont know what you mean by " being" a cyclist. Chris Boardman does not wear a helmet. A lot of guys who ride round the World dont wear helmets. Be yourself and not a clone of what you think a cyclist should be.

Bike helmets are an awful bit of kit but with an important purpose. Why not make them fun. I want them to make kiddies helmets for aduls. Id like a helmet with Cartoon characters on or animals or something whackey.

But I would suggest you dont wear my helmet to school, because the kids just might do what it says.

imagejpg1_zps896f9424.jpg

numbnuts

Legendary Member
There was an advert in a MTB magazine a few years back, there were two pictures one of a teenager in a helmet and the other again of a teenager being spoon fed by a nurse and the caption was “and you think you look silly in a helmet”.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
they'll soon shut up when the girls take notice!
@heavens is a girl.
When you are 15 you want to go with the flow, conform - well, most 15 year old do, I seem to remember from a long time ago :whistle:
But, @heavens, you say you like to wear your helmet because it gives you confidence and the "cyclist look" whatever that may be.
So now you need to decide, please yourself or the others.
This is a decision you will have to take many times in life.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There was an advert in a MTB magazine a few years back, there were two pictures one of a teenager in a helmet and the other again of a teenager being spoon fed by a nurse and the caption was “and you think you look silly in a helmet”.

And people wonder why the pro-helmet mob get accused of emotive unsubstantiated BS?

Anyway, to the OP, you do what you want and don't give a flying F what other people think, except the people you care about.
But ignoring them doesn't always work, as it can be construed as being submissive and a pushover.

So just tell them that you wear one because you want to, and don't let them give you shoot for it.
You can always headbutt them; they'll come off worse! (don't do that)

OP
OP
heavens

heavens

OK you are only 15.

I am going to give you some advice that I hope you hold onto forever.

You said you wear a helmet because it makes you feel more like a cyclist. Would you wear a woolen jumper to feel more like a sheep? Dont do anything just to conform, be an individual. I dont know what you mean by " being" a cyclist. Chris Boardman does not wear a helmet. A lot of guys who ride round the World dont wear helmets. Be yourself and not a clone of what you think a cyclist should be.

Bike helmets are an awful bit of kit but with an important purpose. Why not make them fun. I want them to make kiddies helmets for aduls. Id like a helmet with Cartoon characters on or animals or something whackey.

But I would suggest you dont wear my helmet to school, because the kids just might do what it says.

I feel a bit "naked" without my helmet. Of course, I wanted to avoid saying that to start with - but I think it's the best way to describe what I mean. Nice hat by the way! Haha!

@heavens is a girl.
When you are 15 you want to go with the flow, conform - well, most 15 year old do, I seem to remember from a long time ago :whistle:
But, @heavens, you say you like to wear your helmet because it gives you confidence and the "cyclist look" whatever that may be.
So now you need to decide, please yourself or the others.
This is a decision you will have to take many times in life.

I'm a dude! Haha! Not quite sure where you got that from Pat? Haha - but thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• imagejpg1_zps896f9424.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom