I got a fixed penalty today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ArDee said:
The white arrow painted on the road also constitutes an instructional road sign indicating only turn left.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine - white arrows on the road only offer guidance unless accompanied by a precisely worded instruction and specific signage.

thomas

the tank engine
Davidc said:
The end of a minimum speed limit isn't an instruction, and there might be others in the full list.

It doesn't change the legal position, or the absolute unambiguous clarity of the signs.

If you've ever taken a driving test you must have had to learn and be tested on road signs!

Of course the end of a 30mph zone is an instruction! It's instructing you that you no longer should be going above 30mph *rolls eyes*

And, I've taken a driving test...and the theory test (don't know if you have?). I scored 100% on it....I did my CBT the other day and the guy said I was the only person he's ever taught to know the correct answer to one of the questions....

This silly blue sign didn't come up in either I'm afraid.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
User3143 said:
The reason that sign is there and like it is, is pragmatic reasons. There are two junctions there where you can turn ''right'' - having a no right hand turn sign would confuse drivers even more because they would not be sure whether it means the junction where the OP got nicked or the junction at the top of the picture.

A One way sign sign following the path of the road going round to the left with ''except local buses'' is the best way of explaining that junction to motorists.

For once the council have done good and applied a bit of common sense.
I agree with your first part (the 2 possible right turns could confuse), but for the second part it isn't a "One Way" sign, as that's rectangular.

thomas

the tank engine
User3143 said:
The end of a 30mph zone and you should no longer be going above 30mph?:rofl:

And I've taken 4 theory tests, passed them all and I've taken 4 driving tests and passed all them as well!:tongue:

Whoop...I meant end of a minimum speed zone like David said. :rofl:....yoouuuu knoooww what I mmeeaaan!

I do get your point though about the two junctions, but still think a no right turn (or two) sign would be better.

I would say I have a reasonable knowledge of the highway code and though ignorance is not an excuse, road signs should be reasonably intuitive and I don't think that this one is.

Davidc said:
The end of a minimum speed limit isn't an instruction, and there might be others in the full list.

thomas said:
Of course the end of a 30mph zone is an instruction! It's instructing you that you no longer should be going above 30mph *rolls eyes*

A 30mph sign is a maximum speed limit. What David is talking about is the blue signs which denote minimum speed limits. And as he correctly points out, the end of a minimum speed limit is not an instruction to suddenly go faster.

thomas

the tank engine
Davidc said:

thomas said:

Rhythm Thief said:
A 30mph sign is a maximum speed limit. What David is talking about is the blue signs which denote minimum speed limits. And as he correctly points out, the end of a minimum speed limit is not an instruction to suddenly go faster.

I mis-wrote...I meant to say, that the end of a blue minimum speed sign is an instruction. It's instructing you that you can reduce your speed limit again.

thomas said:
I mis-wrote...I meant to say, that the end of a blue minimum speed sign is an instruction. It's instructing you that you can reduce your speed limit again.

No, it's advising you that you can reduce your speed. An instruction would be something you had to comply with, advice is something you can follow if you wish. This is not merely semantics, there's a difference in the highway code and it's the reason signs are different shapes and colours.

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

To put this into context by the way (and I know this is no excuse) but if you do want to make that turning the legal way, here's how (this is C&Ped from another forum):

Excellent article in the Gazette, explaining the route motorists are expected to take to avoid turning from Windermere Road, into Maude Street and Stricklandgate.
Apparently you turn left, then right past the bus station, bear left towards the old Provincial Insurance HQ, then right along the river on New Road, before turning right, and back past the bus station, then left back to where you first started, but at which point you can turn left into Stricklandgate, or continue on into Maude Street. During this time you will pass through two sets of traffic lights and one crossing lights - TWICE! What happened to the Government's fuel conservation measures???

Debian

Blimey, six pages debating something that is clear-cut and above debate! :laugh:

The left arrow on blue background + Except Buses plate is a positive instructional sign. The instruction is "unless you are driving a bus, turn left", what the heck is unclear about that?

thomas

the tank engine
Debian said:
Blimey, six pages debating something that is clear-cut and above debate! :laugh:

The left arrow on blue background + Except Buses plate is a positive instructional sign. The instruction is "unless you are driving a bus, turn left", what the heck is unclear about that?

What's a bus?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
One question to ask... Is this a left turn? Lets look into when these are used. At junctions where you can only turn one way. From the photo, this is a bend in the road and not a junction. In which case there should be a no right turn sign.

Top Bottom