I got a fixed penalty today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
domd1979 said:
Figure 4.5 for one. There's plenty of guidance there to apply, the manual can never cover every possible variation of junction priority.

In nearly every instance (apart from when there is a clear no entry sign, which there isn't in our example) in states in the diagram that the turn left ahead should be at least 50m before the turn. It isn't in this case is it? Care to explain why?

Debian

gaz said:
In nearly every instance (apart from when there is a clear no entry sign, which there isn't in our example) in states in the diagram that the turn left ahead should be at least 50m before the turn. It isn't in this case is it? Care to explain why?

4.17 A sign to diagram 609 is usually mounted in
advance of a junction at a distance of approximately
50 m. This distance might need to be varied if
another junction intervenes or where there are other
constraints.
In one-way roads that are wide enough
for two lanes of traffic, the sign should be sited on
both sides of the road. Where the ahead manoeuvre
is prohibited and traffic can either turn left only or
right only (see paras 4.8 and 4.10), the sign should
be sited immediately before the junction on the left
hand side (see figure 4-7) and may be duplicated on
the right hand side of a one-way road or on a central
refuge in a two-way road.

Where does it say "at least..."?

Noodley

domd1979 said:
The sign says turn left, the road goes round 90 degrees to the left (which is a left turn!!!).

If you want to get into arguments of what constitutes a left 'turn' then you are well and truly buggered...:wacko:;)

Debian

Apart from which, it's still blindingly obvious to the bloke on the Clapham Omnibus (local or otherwise) what the correct action must be.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK..that's enough.... 20 Fixed Points on you lot EACH for discussing this to the death...........

The OP still hasn't answered the Question....."Why not on the bike.....?" Poor score....

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

Noodley said:
I take it from the picture that road users can turn into both streets if approaching from the opposite direction? Even that is unclear...

Yes, that is correct. Although indicating that you want the second of the two roads when you're coming back is a discussion in itself - you effectively end up signalling left (despite going straight on) either when you pass the first one (which is a bit late for anyone) or just before you reach the first one (which makes people think you're taking the first one, too). The junction is a mess.

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

Noodley said:
I can see both sides of the argument, but I'd have been a bit miffed to get a FPN.

I held my hands up and knew I'd done wrong. Bit miffed, but what can I do about it!

I was more miffed when I later heard my neighbour got stopped for the exact same thing, but only got a ticking off. ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You can multi-quote.

Noodley

kendalcottages said:
The junction is a mess.

Yep, that seems fairly clear.

I'm not sure what you can do about it, maybe phone the council and/or Police and highlight that it's a mess?

...and I think I have given a fairly balanced view rather than trying to be pedantic as others have ;)

Noodley

kendalcottages said:
Sorry, yeah... different questions from different people and I was reading the replies in stages rather than all in one go. :wacko:

Don't worry about it, I still cannae work out how to do that and I have been here for years! ;)

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

Noodley said:
Yep, that seems fairly clear.

I'm not sure what you can do about it, maybe phone the council and/or Police and highlight that it's a mess?

I think it's well known in those circles already. It's been written about in the local paper at some length and the police are regularly stopping people. The two that stopped me were actually quite sympathetic and pretty much conceded it was a PITA of a junction. The annoying thing about it all is that to get to where you want to the official way takes forever.

Another interesting one is coming out of that side-street to go straight ahead. Now they've removed traffic lights from the junction, it's nigh on impossible to do without pushing your way out.

Also, I'm curious as to whether you could turn right if coming out of that side street, as the white on blue arrow wouldn't be visible to you.

Noodley said:
...and I think I have given a fairly balanced view rather than trying to be pedantic as others have ;)

Yeah, I appreciate that. I hold my hands up - I know I've done wrong (and, quite honestly, I knew it at the time). I've done the same manoeuvre many times before (yeah, I know... shame on me :o) as I work on that street. I only ever do it if there's nothing coming the other way - unfortunately for me, this time I got busted. :wacko: Other than a parking ticket about 20 years ago, this has been by first 'offence' so it's not like I'm a reckless driver...

I know others here disagree, but I would still maintain that the signage isn't as clear as it could be. There should be something indicating the requirements before you get there IMHO.

Noodley

kendalcottages said:
...I would still maintain that the signage isn't as clear as it could be. There should be something indicating the requirements before you get there IMHO.

Yep. I agree. Seems like you got a raw deal.

But you seem reasonable in your outlook....

Top Bottom