I got 'doored' on a ride today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Riders45.jpg
these are the only doors you need to be opening.

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 457333 these are the only doors you need to be opening.
Put wood inth ‘ole

Globalti

Legendary Member
The black shiny floor is bitumen, poured in hot and popular with people renovating old houses. There may be stone flags underneath it.

Offer up the door and put a pound coin on top then wedge it up into the frame and check the gaps all round. Using the old hinge rebates in either door or frame makes things a lot more complicated so it might be better to fill all six with thin strips of wood tapped and glued in tight then planed down and start afresh with new rebates. Slats from a wooden venetian blind are usually perfect for this if you can find any.

Wedges are your friend for getting the door height right. Have you got a plane? PVA glue? Chisel and mallet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, as expected, I started getting my orders this evening! :laugh:

I pointed out that if the householder really has more of a clue than me then perhaps she should do the job herself ... :whistle:

The question of the length of the door has been settled - it is the same as that of the old door. The gap at the bottom of that never bothered her so we won't worry about it on the replacement door either.

The black shiny floor is bitumen, poured in hot and popular with people renovating old houses. There may be stone flags underneath it.
I think you are right. It is not particularly attractive to look at, but it is functional.

Offer up the door and put a pound coin on top then wedge it up into the frame and check the gaps all round.
Sounds like a good idea. I might actually use a strip of thin timber. I will be taking a few lengths to help support the door when I am fitting it.

Using the old hinge rebates in either door or frame makes things a lot more complicated so it might be better to fill all six with thin strips of wood tapped and glued in tight then planed down and start afresh with new rebates. Slats from a wooden venetian blind are usually perfect for this if you can find any.
You could well be right in terms of doing a perfect job, but the door is right in the corner of the kitchen and it is usually left open so the door frame where the hinges are attached is rarely visible. I don't think a few gaps here and there would be an issue. Everything is going to be repainted afterwards.

Have you got a plane? PVA glue? Chisel and mallet?
I have a chisel and mallet and hope not to be doing anything that requires a plane and glue!

I'll see what's what tomorrow when I get over there.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well, as expected, I started getting my orders this evening! :laugh:

I pointed out that if the householder really has more of a clue than me then perhaps she should do the job herself ... :whistle:

The question of the length of the door has been settled - it is the same as that of the old door. The gap at the bottom of that never bothered her so we won't worry about it on the replacement door either.

I think you are right. It is not particularly attractive to look at, but it is functional.

Sounds like a good idea. I might actually use a strip of thin timber. I will be taking a few lengths to help support the door when I am fitting it.

You could well be right in terms of doing a perfect job, but the door is right in the corner of the kitchen and it is usually left open so the door frame where the hinges are attached is rarely visible. I don't think a few gaps here and there would be an issue. Everything is going to be repainted afterwards.

I have a chisel and mallet and hope not to be doing anything that requires a plane and glue!

I'll see what's what tomorrow when I get over there.

Going on a plane and sniffing some glue may be just what you need after fitting that bloody door @ColinJ :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I have been sitting at home today wondering why my neck is so stiff and then I remembered walking several hundred metres with a heavy wooden door balanced on my head ... :blush:

'Don't try this at home, folks'! :laugh:
How many folk would walk round their house with a door on their head. It's odd down there, but not that odd!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well Colin doesn't live very far from the Woodhead Pass.

Very good :banghead:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well Colin doesn't live very far from the Woodhead Pass.
*** GROAN *** - I would certainly 'pass' on that pun!

I gathered together my bits and pieces for tomorrow and discovered that the chisel was a bit blunt so I sharpened it. I caught myself before I tested it on my finger (!!! :wacko:) and tested it on one of the strips of timber instead. Yepp, it's sharp enough now!

I'm not expecting to do a perfect job, but I'll aim to do a reasonable one.

I doubt that I will be able to fit the door handle tomorrow unless the one on the old door somehow happens to be identical to the one that used to be on the replacement. I'll take a look and see what needs to be done and then watch a few YouTube videos for inspiration. (It must surely be based on drilling lots of holes and then chiselling out the rest of what needs to be removed to make room for the various parts ...? :whistle:)

classic33

Leg End Member
That last part depends on ths type of latch being used. And what was used on the door.

Standard size is five 3/8 holes and removing the rest with a sharp chisel. Leave the final seating until it's in place.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

ColinJ had a telly career before taking up cycling.Here is one of his first d.i.y shows.

View: https://youtu.be/MU2BO5Obg2k

Yikes - that video at 2:55 gave me a flashback to starting a factory job in the late 1970s... I had been there a few minutes when I spotted another young worker holding a length of carpet down and cutting it with a Stanley Knife which he was drawing towards his hand. The inevitable happened and he sliced the tops of all of his fingers open! xx(

I just watched a YT video on how to fit door handles and it struck me that I'll need to take a smaller chisel as well as a big one, in case I do decide to fit the handle.

I'll watch a video on door hanging next ...

Top Bottom