I got 'doored' on a ride today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Door hanging video watched!

There are 3 other cheapo old doors in the house. If replacement door #1 fitting goes well, then perhaps the others will get replaced too. (I wonder if the other 2 doors are still in that skip ...? :whistle: Mind you, if they are then they will have been getting drenched for 5 days.)

classic33

Leg End Member
Door hanging video watched!

There are 3 other cheapo old doors in the house. If replacement door #1 fitting goes well, then perhaps the others will get replaced too. (I wonder if the other 2 doors are still in that skip ...? :whistle: Mind you, if they are then they will have been getting drenched for 5 days.)
Any woodworm will have drowned by now though.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As a child, @ColinJ 's favourite telly programme was

TheWoodentops.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As a child, @ColinJ 's favourite telly programme was

View attachment 457659
Ha ha... I actually have a very slight memory of watching that as a child!

About the same time as Bill and Ben ...

Blimey, the narrator had a very plummy voice... As for 'little weed' - I'd say that the people who made that show had smoked more than a little weed! :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
With the rain that's falling this morning Colin and his friend might end up floating down the Calder on this door. How are HB's defences holding up, Colin?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

With the rain that's falling this morning Colin and his friend might end up floating down the Calder on this door. How are HB's defences holding up, Colin?
I haven't gone there yet (I'm living 5 miles up the valley in Todmorden now) but I have just seen that some of the trains are cancelled due to flooding of the line. I'll check the flood forecasts for the valley ...

It looks like we will get away with it. Levels were just getting troublesome, but are forecast to be receding now.

Hebden Bridge river level.png

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Ribble has exactly the same profile. We have a brook running under our house and with this much rain boulders begin tumbling down, which makes me anxious as you hear them going bump bump bump under the house.

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven't gone there yet (I'm living 5 miles up the valley in Todmorden now) but I have just seen that some of the trains are cancelled due to flooding of the line. I'll check the flood forecasts for the valley ...

It looks like we will get away with it. Levels were just getting troublesome, but are forecast to be receding now.

View attachment 457709
Did the flood alert sirens go off around 12:00?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I gave up on iffy public transport, fearing that I would end up stuck in Littleborough, even further from home than when I started! Instead, I walked the 5 miles back. My friend had offered to pay for a taxi to avoid flood waters by taking to the hilltops but it would probably have cost her £15 and I needed the exercise anyway.

Fortunately, the rain had finally stopped and the A646 mini-flood seemed to be receding. By the time I got to the flooded part it was only 6 inches deep so vehicles could have been let through if only drivers would drive sensibly for the conditions. In reality, some idiot would probably drive into the water at 60-70 mph and come a cropper so the police were stopping everyone. I heard some drivers saying that they lived in the flood zone so they were let through but I saw some of them continue through the other road block on the far side, so they were fibbing.

I was lucky in that the water on the pavement was only an inch deep so I was able to get by without getting my feet wet.

As for the replacement door ... I had managed to hang it without too much faffing about. The gap at the bottom is slightly bigger than the already fairly big gap below the original door and my friend and I agreed that this gap is too big, so I will attach a strip of timber to the bottom of the door at a later date. More importantly though, we discovered a significant problem with the door. The, er... [consults online description of door components :whistle:] - the lock stile is not a consistent width from one end to the other so the width of the complete door also varies from one end to the other. I imagine that this had been done to make the door fit a correspondingly irregular door frame, but it meant that it doesn't fit its new frame properly. The bottom of the door is 76.5 cm and about right. The middle is nearly 77 cm and is too big. The top is nearer 76 cm and a bit small. Householder friend can put up with the narrow top to the door, but not an 'obese waist' which stops it closing! I'll sort that out when I take the door off to lengthen it. We also want to fit new round handles and a simple ball catch.

Top Bottom