i-gotu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

I recieved as a christmas prezzie from my brother, the i-gotu GPS logger.

I've just had a look at it, installed the software etc. There's a sports analyzer program bundled in with the item, which looks rather promising.

The i-gotu will track your position, every 5, 10, 15, 30 or 60 seconds and then you can analyze your route. speeds, altitudes etc on your return.
You can save each ride, compare and contrast etc.

The battery life appears very good, with lifespan depending on refresh rate:
Every 60 seconds - 70 hours
Every 30 seconds - 60 hours
Every 15 seconds - 30 hours
Every 10 seconds - 20 hours
Every 5 seconds - 10 hours

I will be testing it out tomorrow morning on a short ride (can't be going too far as I am laden with the excess of the last couple of days.)

I'll update with my findings, but at the moment it looks to be a useful little bit of kit!

Click image for a screengrab of the sports analyzer

View attachment 5113

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It looks interesting, especially the fact that it would work outside when abroad.

jeltz

Veteran
It should be perfect for mapping where you've been. I would imagine that it generates a GPX file which you can not only view on Google maps/earth but also sites like bikely to see the elevation data. I used a similar set up with a GPS enabled PDA and it was good fun.

Since then I've upgraded to a Garmin Edge 605 with maps, which does more but at 5 times the price of that logger it ought to!

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

Hah!
I just got in after a short pre-breakfast ride. I took my new bike, it's the first time i've ridden a bike with gears in about 2 years... quite odd.

The quality of the mapping is quite impressive. even through the relatively built up areas it looks accurate.
You can imput your personal data (height, age & weight) so that calories are calculated too. nifty.

It shows the elevation (or lack of, as I am in Suffolk!) too, which is quite nice. I can compare the hills to see if any of them really are all that more difficult than the others.

So this morning I rode 12.4 miles, average speed of 18.1mph, burned 541 calories climbing 825ft of hills.

View attachment 5114 Clicky for biggy

I like this fun little gadget. when I eventually start training for something it will be more useful than just fun.

Cheers bro!

I use an AMOD for geotagging photos which is similar.

They are good at this job which is recording and then allowing analysis of data on a PC

They however have two weaknesses, you cannot navigate in any form and secondly the data is limited to marks - none of the ones i researched gave much in the way of speed or elevation data.

Horses for courses. I use my EDGE 705 dta for geotagging when on my bike as it is suitable, but when out on the hills or in a city it is a little overkill

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

Oh yes - it's definately just a tracker and gives no live data to the user...
but if that's all you need... they seem excellent.

I happen to know where I am going when on the bike so don't tend to need navigation.

This could all change as I also got some panniers for christmas, so may look at a little light touring in the not too distant future.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I think it looks great there is no way I would spend the sort of money these garmin GPS units cost I would rather use a map part of the fun if you ask me, but it would be nice to have a set it an forget it unit such as this when out on all day rides or even on evening rides so you can review it or even pass a good route onto other people.

Downward

Guru
I have one of this which gives live data.
Also very good software and the unit has an excellent backlight.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/BT-Q2000-F.htm

Top Bottom