I had the RLJ discussion today while out riding...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
It's how you quantify the risks though, isn't it? And the stats we're talking about don't really hold any value here. So it comes down to opinions.

The discussion about safety came from my fellow commuter suggesting that running a red light was safer than not. Not whether cycling is more dangerous than walking or driving.
I think we are at cross purposes here :smile: You were talking about a very specific situation, I threw in a comment with more general application.

potsy

Rambler
martint235 said:
I've never understood the safety claim though. Fair enough if you squeeze and barge your way to the front of the traffic and want to be away before everyone else, then there's a chance it may be safer but it would have been much safer to have held your place in the traffic queue.

Then I got one today, I was sat in a completely clear ASL when a guy on a mountain bike comes past me and sits as far out into the junction as he can get without being hit. The lights change, he sets off at oh .5 of a mile per hour and cuts right across my path!!!! :smile: I don't understand what he gained apart from a very large, swearing cyclist behind him.
I had one of these yesterday,I'd already overtaken this guy so he knew I was travelling faster than him(he was only doing 10mphish) got to the lights into the ASL and he comes straight past me and sits right out as far as possible,2nd time this has happened now at the same junction.
Don't get it at all:wacko:

Top Bottom